Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Tag Team - Whoomp! There It Is Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 January 2006 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I noticed that there's tons of different notations in the database for Tag Team "Whoomp! (There It Is)." I have two different CD singles for the song (Bellmark 79001 & 79010), and the lead track on the regular single is the "Radio Edit," while track 2 is the "Club Mix." I'm guessing that the version listed as the "45 version" must be the "Club Mix," which runs about 4 1/2 minutes.

Since my singles and full-length cassette tape are all packed away in Michigan, I'll have to rely on some help for this. Isn't the version appearing on the full-length album exacly the same as the "Radio Edit," except possibly running a couple seconds longer? (...or am I missing something?) Also, I don't think there's a difference between the "Radio Edit" and "Club Mix" except for the length. These two versions and the LP version all contain the same vocal take with censored lyrics, right?

That being said, shouldn't the database comments show "45 length" and "LP length" with notations indicated for CDs that run shorter than the "LP length"?

(By the way, the other CD single that was released was a limited edition "remix" single that has some very cool mixes put together by WPGC and KPWR, as well as two mixes done by the record label.)
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

The cassette single should be the official 45 version I believe and according to Paul Haney, the cassette single runs 4:27 which I am guessing, is the "club mix" which differs from the LP version. Anyone else have input on this?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Other than fading early, how does the "Club Mix" differ?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the cassingle issued as life 79500 contains two tracks

1-whoomp! (there it is)
2-instrumental version

the first track has NO description but is the club mix on the cd single issued as life 79001 running 4:31

the cd single has the first track as the radio edit running 3:43

but the cassingle, and thus the official single version, is the club mix and runs 4:31.....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

There really is not a debate as to which version is the "45 version," but my original question still remains to be answered: What's the difference, aside from length, between the LP version, club mix, and radio edit. Aren't they all the same, but just faded at different points?

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

don't know..............would you like an mp3 of each and you can work that out??

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 11:27pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ed, if you could just send an mp3 of the 'Club Mix' that will do the trick. My CD single and full-length cassette are packed away in a box in Michigan. I have the version that Pat is calling an early fade of the LP version, and I have the Radio Edit. Thanks!

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 January 2006 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ed was kind enough to send the "Club Mix" of Whoomp for my comparison to the other versions. Here is my conclusion:

The Club Mix, LP version & Radio Edit are all the same mix and vocal take. All three versions are also censored; however, the LP version has slightly different edits on the curse words.

In the "Club Mix" and "Radio Edit" the objectionable words are pretty much completely blanked out. On the LP version, the first letter of the curse word is audible most of the time. You can clearly hear the "f" and "sh" sounds on the LP mix, whereas they're removed from the other two mixes.

I'd say Pat did a very nice job of summarizing the different versions listed in the database. Here is the only change I would suggest. There are a number of CDs that list (45 version faded :45 early). These CDs all contain the "Radio Edit," which is track 1 on the CD single. It would probably be more accurate to list (radio edit) next to these discs.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 January 2006 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ebay.com currently has a listing for the promo single of "Whoomp!" which has two versions on it.

Radio Mix #1 (3:40)
Radio Mix #2 (3:35)

Perhaps the CDs running (3:35) containing the comment (LP version faded early) are actually Radio Mix #2. I'm guessing "Radio Mix #1" is the same as the commercial single's "Radio Edit." Does anyone have the promo cd of this?

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2008 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2008 at 3:51am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

When I was in elementary school, i remember purchasing a cassette of this for $4.99 and it had, i believe, either four or six different versions of the song on each side (both sides contained the same information i think, including at least one acapella version which i can't recall but believe it may have been censored). The tape is long gone, i lent it to my school gym teachers who lost it at some point...i'd love to find another copy of it nowadays though, anyone have any idea what i should be looking for? I seem to remember it came in a hard cassette case while the cassette single that my brother had came in a slipcase, if my memory (which is fading fast) is any bit accurate.

MCT1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2008 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote MCT1

TomDiehl1 wrote:
I seem to remember it came in a hard cassette case while the cassette single that my brother had came in a slipcase, if my memory (which is fading fast) is any bit accurate.

My recollection is that cassette "maxisingles" (the cassette equivalent of a vinyl 12" single) typically came in a hard plastic case, while "regular" cassette singles (the cassette equivalent of a vinyl 45) typically came in a cardboard slipcase. Essentially, in both vinyl and cassette form, maxisingles used packaging similar to a full-length album, while "regular" (45-type) singles came in lighter, less durable packaging.
Back to Top View MCT1's Profile Search for other posts by MCT1

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 March 2008 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, you're correct. It is the cassette maxi single. I own the maxi cassette for "Whoomp!" and it has the same mixes as the CD5, if my memory is correct.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just acquired the promo CD single of "Whoomp!" and to my surprise, I found an alternate lyrics version!

"Radio Mix #1" is the same as the "Radio Edit" on the commercial CD single; however, "Radio Mix #2" is a slightly different mix with alternate lyrics. The difference in the mix itself is subtle, where the hi-hat taps have a different sequence. Lyrically, the first verse is the same take, but the remaining verses are re-recorded. Alternate lyrics are:

"Now it's time for me to get on the mic / and make this Tag Team party hype"

"Rip it / find a honey dip to stick it in"

"The underground sound that you people have found..."

Ironically, the word "shit" was not censored in this version. "(Woooooo) shit, that's a breath-taker."

"As I flow to the fly stuff from the school of old"

I seem to recall hearing those alternate lyrics on one of the mixes (or maybe the acapella) of the commercial maxi-CD, but my copy is not accessible at the moment. Can someone check to see if there is a version on the maxi with the alt lyrics but the original backing track? In other words, "Radio Mix #2" is not a remix, but there is just a slight mix difference. If you weren't paying close attention, you probably wouldn't notice the mix difference.

Edited by aaronk on 16 July 2009 at 8:29pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 October 2009 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just pulled out my commercial maxi CD, and there are two versions on it that have the same alternate lyrics as "Radio Mix 2." They are the "House Mix" and the "Acappella."

In any case, the only place to get "Radio Mix 2" with alternate lyrics is on the promo CD.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 October 2010 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just obtained a second promo CD single for "Whoomp!" Here's a summary of all the US CD singles I'm aware of:

US CD Maxi (LR 79001-2)
1. Radio Edit (3:43)
2. Club Mix (4:30)
3. House Mix (4:33)
4. Magic City Version (4:19)
5. Instrumental (3:46)
6. Acapella (1:30)

"Limited Edition Special Remixes" US CD Maxi (LR 79010-2)
1. WPGC Mix (5:14)
2. KPWR Mix (3:53)
3. Sub-Urban Remix #1 (6:24)
4. Sub-Urban Remix #2 (6:40)

US Promo CD (CD PRO 002)
1. Radio Edit #1 (3:45)
2. Radio Edit #2 (3:35)

US Promo CD "Power Mixes" (CD PRO-010)
1. WPGC Mix (5:14)
2. KPWR Mix (3:53)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version