Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Muskrat Love" - Captain & Tennille Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 January 2006 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

The database now reports that commercial 45 copies of The Captain & Tennille's "Muskrat Love" runs 3:40. The song is shown with a 3:29 time on the various artist CD '70s Party (Killer) Classics (Rhino 75233), but contains no comment that accounts for the significant run time difference (unlike in the 10th edition of Top 40 Music on Compact Disc which previously had reported that this particular disc contained the "45 length"). Should this 3:29 length of "Muskrat Love" on the Rhino CD have a comment indicating it's an early fade of the 45 and LP length? Or was there perhaps a DJ 45 length of this song that ran 3:29?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 March 2006 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Okay, here's a weird one...

I just timed my commercial copy of "Muskrat Love" and it times to 3:40, but then the run-out groove takes over (with the sound effects) and it actually times out to 3:46 which matches the album version! The label states 3:28.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 March 2006 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Now the pieces of the puzzle all fall into place. My dj copy of "Muskrat Love" states a run time of (3:28) and actually runs (3:29) so the Rhino 75233 cd contains the dj edit. According to Paul Haney, the commercial 45 really is the same as the LP version running (3:46)
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2010 at 12:43am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Rather than purchase the Party Killers CD, is the DJ edit of "Muskrat Love" re-creatable?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2010 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

I only have a promo of this. What is the difference between the promo edit and the LP/commercial 45? Just an early fade perhaps? I really, really detest this song and can't say I've ever listened very closely to it.
Interestingly, there's no indication on the promo copy that it's an edit...strange, since A&M would usually indicate it (even in cases like "Jackie Blue" where the promo & commercial 45s were the same edit from the album).
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2010 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Hykker wrote:
I only have a promo of this. What is the difference between the promo edit and the LP/commercial 45? Just an early fade perhaps? I really, really detest this song and can't say I've ever listened very closely to it.

I don't blame you. :)

I've always thought the difference was just the length of the fade, but I can't confirm that.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2010 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

sriv94 wrote:
Hykker wrote:

I don't blame you. :)

I've always thought the difference was just the length of the fade, but I can't confirm that.

Yeah, it just fades out early. There's a long synthesizer "bongo" solo at the end after the rest of the music fades on the album length version.

Everybody seems to hate "Muskrat Love," but, you know, it's intended to be a silly, humorous novelty song. It's not supposed to be serious or romantic.

Incidentally, Captain and Tennille had no intention of ever releasing the song as a single. The third single from their second album was scheduled to be either "Wedding Song" or "Song of Joy." (It's unclear which was the intended A-side, since when this 45 was finally released as part of A&M's Forget-Me-Nots series, it appears from the matrix that the "A" and "B" sides were switched, with the old number on each side being scribbled out.)

But, as often happened in the '70s, some radio stations started playing the song and callers started requesting it, so A&M scrapped the third planned single and replaced it with "Muskrat Love."
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2010 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Now that it's been determined to be a fade, anyone have fade points?

Just didn't want to buy the Party Killers CD since I already have all the songs on a dozen other collections.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2010 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

eriejwg wrote:
Now that it's been determined to be a fade, anyone have fade points?

I timed the stereo side of my DJ 45, which runs (3:30.8) Begin the fade at 3:20 until the end. Serves 12. :)
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 February 2010 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

Used to hate that song at work, it drove our Harris Stereo
80 automation system bonkers due to those synthesizer
bleeps. 3:30 is the time on the A&M promo 45 Stereo side.
And I was the poor bloke who had to repair that system.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2010 at 12:15am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Something I never heard on the end grooves of any 45 I owned before appeared on what I believe was my stock 45 for "Muskrat Love". Described earlier as the "synthesizer bongo solo", the final galloping sounds continue to appear all the way to the end of the grooves, and then repeat continuously until you or your turntable picks up the needle. I happen to have a broadcast turntable, so my 45's actual time is "infinity", as the gallops are heard non-stop, as a "continuous end groove loop" until I decide to pick up the tone arm. It was all done very smoothly, and is in perfect tempo. Man, that Daryl Dragon (The Captain) is a real prankster, eh! (in honor of the Vancouver Winter Olympics.)
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 4:42am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Bumping up for Fetta.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

Also, the 45 had the bleeps filtered a little on the bass end and reduced in level. Many broadcast transmitters and automation systems didn't like that synthesizer bongo solo.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version