Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Wow! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 July 2011 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

Hello!

All I can say is, wow! I've discovered this site by accident. Several weeks back I thought I was the only person who would obsess about collecting those hit versions you only heard on the dial. After reading hundred of postings here over the past few weeks, (and avoiding my nephew's birthday party while doing so.) I can say that I've haven't seen such a passionate display of programming since I left the business. It's such a good feeling to know y’all haven't forgotten the oldies. I graduated from high school when Brandy & Monica's "The Boy Is Mine" was hot. When I mention that record to anyone who it etched in Top 40 today, they tell me to, “get with it”. The industry changed around the turn of the last decade with a handful of producers designed to narrow cast. With the advent of downloads fitting the formula, the magic and anticipation of hearing a song on a radio just seems to be lost.   Maybe it has to do with the economic crisis? The "ain't broke don't fix it”, mentality. I consider myself very liberal, although top 40 is something I still haven't been able to adjust to in 2011.

Slight background; I’ve worked behind the scenes as a board op, learning Cool Edit Pro. I've worked at Radio Disney promoting live events. Most recently I was programming an Internet Radio station. I was a former client of TM Century and acquired a large GoldDisc collection.   As others have pointed out TM Century has done a pretty decent job getting most of the correct edits on their products. From time to time they use a homemade edit or substitute using the LP Version. Their current libraries are pretty good to work with.   My earlier experience working behind the console I was subjected to dubbing cuts using the first generation GoldDiscs(GD1). Most of the cuts on GD1’s used the LP Versions or what I’d refer to as ‘artistic hackjobs’ to recreate the 45.   GD1’s source material was taken from vinyl using Sonic Solutions No Noise. At the time I’m sure the technology was spectacular, but it did a wonderful job ruining the finished cut. When airing, you’d hear the digital artifacts quite clearly.

Two cuts that come to mind, (and I don’t have the GD1’s to compare to my collection are.   â€œLady Love Me (One More Time) by George Benson, and “That’s The Way Of The World [Short Version] by Earth, Wind & Fire.    I’m sure there were other instances, but they’re not fresh in my memory.

In the near future I plan to subscribe to the database. I’m gracious I was allowed to register here. Thanks Pat!

I’m trying to locate several 45’s, and if anyone has any information, please pass along.

Too Turned On/Alisha. It may not have hit the top 40, but it was a very popular dance record in 1985 on Vanguard. It’s still in rotation today on WKTU/New York. Many of the edits I’ve heard are in house edits by the stations themselves. I may have heard the radio version sometime, but haven't been able to locate it.

Star Love/Cheryl Lynn.   Wasn’t as big as ‘Got To Be Real’, I believe it was the followup and made a dent during the disco time.

Happy Independence weekend!

Dave Lombardi
prisdeej
Back to Top View prisdeej's Profile Search for other posts by prisdeej

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 July 2011 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Welcome to the board, Dave!
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 July 2011 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Welcome Dave. The only version I have of "Star Love" is the 12" version found on Vol. 4 of the Club Epic CD series. I don't have the Alisha track, but I do recall hearing it back in '85 and since. In South Florida there currently is a station that plays all 80s music every weekend and I'm sure they play that song all the time. Maybe another fellow board member can assist. God bless America. Now back to the countdown.

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 July 2011 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

Welcome Steve,

I don't contribute much to this place, as the regulars
are on top of it.

I grew up listening to top 40 radio and collecting 45s in
the 60s, 70s and 80s. These days, I just collect single
versions and obscure albums. I particularly enjoy
collecting single versions not available on CD, and use
Adobe Audition and other software to clean up records and
recreate 45 versions from album versions.

Anyway, I hope we can help you out. You should sign up
for the database. You will find that the single version
of "That's The Way Of The World" has been issued on at
least two commercial CDs.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 July 2011 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Welcome, Dave! For a minute there, I thought I was reading a biography. I graduated high school a year before "The Boy Is Mine" was hot. I was a DJ for Radio Disney, and I also have a GoldDisc collection. Weird!

You will see me mention, though, in several threads, that the GoldDisc library is not very accurate when getting the correct edits. I used to think so, too, but then when I put them under a microscope, I found countless mistakes on their homemade edits.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 July 2011 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Welcome Dave,

I actually graduated the year before Alisha's "Too Turned On" was a hit.
And yes, in my area at least (NYC/Long Island) the song was a much bigger hit than its chart position nationally.
All 3 of her singles, "Baby Talk" "All Night Passion" and "Too Turned On" were heavily played on Z-100.

Now, i never owned the 45 for it, so for myself i edited the song from the LP/CD version, to basically what i remembered hearing back then. It runs about 3:55.
But it's technically just a custom edit, not the original 45 version.... if you'd like a copy anyway, feel free to PM, or email me.

I did similar edits for the other 2 hits as well, but for those i at least had the videos to go by, which used the short hit versions. I can't locate the original video for "Too Turned On" on youtube, just the 12" / LP version.

Re: Star Love... i don't have them in front of me, but i'm pretty sure the 45 version of Cheryl Lynn's dance hit "Star Love" is on the Rhino CD "The Disco Years Vol 5, Must Be The Music".

Best,
Mark M
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 July 2011 at 5:28am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

welcome aboard prisdeej,

i never realized how many board members are from or once lived on long island......living here now, i understand why everyone left!!!.......i also never realized how much influence Z-100 had in the nyc market......happy 4th everyone!!!

Edited by edtop40 on 04 July 2011 at 5:29am

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2011 at 2:02am | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Ed,

Yeah, to give some aging away; the wife and myself were born on Long Island in 1965. We both remember when the long island expressway was opened, brand new (two lanes smaller than it is now.)
We knew a much greener, more rural Long Island than it will ever be again....we left in 2001.

Re: Z-100. They were simply huge. No one who was around at the time could argue.
Now, back in the late 70's, much radio was going thru a splintering off of formats (sound familiar?) as a lot of adult listeners were turned off by so much disco music and other new styles mixing in with their soft-rock and pop. The format scattering was made worse by the heavy switch to FM stereo by this time.
So by the early 80's, top 40 was looking for direction.
On Long Island, there was no one particular station from NYC on our dials. We had the "rock" stations from there, we had the "disco" station, but for top 40 the dial was scattered with AC and/or rock formats, and out in eastern LI we had WBLI for pure pop.   That was it.

Then in '83, "the new Z-100" popped out of nowhere. They found the right blend to bring in high-school age like myself, plus our parents. They found the balance of the new sounds, and helped pop's change-over from disco and pop to new wave and synth-pop. They even stole me away from WLIR, the long-island new wave station.   
I think in less than one year they were the top station in the entire tri-state area. The original "Flame-thrower".....
They also came up with a processed sound compression that was amazing, they just blasted out of the dial, but the music was alive, not crushed. I have a chapter on that particular sound in an audiophile book written by the guys who came up with it. Very cool read for sound buffs.
That is our Long Island moment for today!
-Mark M

Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2011 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

Welcome to the board Dave.

Growing up in the NYC area in the 80s, I remember hearing Alisha all the time. As mentioned above, she was played on Z-100 and if I remember correctly, Hot 103.5 (from the top top top top top top top top top top top of the Empire State Building) also played "Baby Talk", "Too Turned On" and "All Night Passion" as recurrents.

Dave, I have all needle drops on all 3 that I took from mint/unplayed 45's that I can send your way if interested.

I also think that I have a mint copy of "Star Child" as well that I can transfer if interested as well.

-Jeff
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2011 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

Thanks Jeff. Sure, send me a private message or e-mail.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2011 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I, too, grew up in New York (born in '68), and was 15
when
Z100 signed on in the summer of 1983.

The mid-'80s were great for radio in New York City. In
addition to Z100, WPLJ flipped to top 40 around the same
time in 1983 (and still played their records 2% too
fast),
WAPP signed on with their commercial-free summer in 1982,
and WKTU briefly attempted top 40 in 1984. It was a
pretty
glorious time to be a teenager.

A few years later, WKTU would flip to K-Rock and WAPP
would
flip to Hot 103.5.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 12 July 2011 at 7:09am
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version