Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: canned heat on the road again Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 June 2011 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 for the canned heat song "on the road again" issued as liberty 56038 has a different ending than the version on the below cd

(S) (3:23) EMI 48377 Best Of (45 version)

aside from the mono stereo differences the ending on the 45 has additional guitar plucking which is not on the cd version....pat....can you check to see if any of these cds that say contain the 45 version contains the guitar plucking.....thx edtop40

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 June 2011 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My copy of "Best Of" EMI Manhattan 48377 does have the guitar picks Ed. My cd was pressed in the U.S. The etching on the inner ring says 1-6-3 Capitol JAX 12C. On the cd jacket there is DIDX 2438. Now even though the guitar picks are present on my copy, I notice they start several seconds later than on the vinyl 45 and this is not due to speed differences.

Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 June 2011 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Pat Downey wrote:
My copy of "Best Of" EMI Manhattan 48377 does have the guitar picks Ed. My cd was pressed in the U.S. The etching on the inner ring says 1-6-3 Capitol JAX 12C. On the cd jacket there is DIDX 2438. Now even though the guitar picks are present on my copy, I notice they start several seconds later than on the vinyl 45 and this is not due to speed differences.
I hear the same thing on the Time-Life CD Classic Rock: 1968 (the guitar plucking starts at the 3:15 mark).

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 June 2011 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Are any of the mono versions correct?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 August 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Revisiting Canned Heat's "On the Road Again", I've tried digging deeper into this mystery as to why the ending of the mono 45 version on CD is different than that of its stereo counterpart. Since commercial 45 copies were all issued in mono, I expected to find the stereo edit is just an edit of the LP version in an unsuccessful attempt at trying to recreate the 45 version.

However, I discovered something that only seems to confuse matters further... I have the LP version on the Canned Heat/Quicksilver Messenger Service Back 2 Back Hits CD (EMI-Capitol Music Special Markets 30903) and the 45 version in stereo on the Rock-n-Roll's Greatest Hits of All Time - Late 60s Volume 3 set (Platinum Disc Corporation QS21-18424). While doing an A/B comparison between the two, I found they are different stereo mixes and the endings don't quite match up either! Unfortunately, I don't currently have this song in stereo on any other CDs, so further investigation will need to be done.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 11 August 2012 at 11:33pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 August 2012 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Todd,

the song was remixed in the CD era for the EMI Legends
series (like so much of the UA/Liberty material) - in this
case i presume for the 2-disc set "Uncanned - Best Of" in
1994. (the back states remixed from the 4 and 8 track
sessions.)
Then of course for years afterward, the newer mixes show
up in other places. MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2012 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

That makes sense, Mark. I'm pretty certain then that the stereo 45 version on the Rock-n-Roll's Greatest Hits of All Time - Late 60s Volume 3 set was edited from the original stereo LP mix, which therefore would not be a correct 45 edit since, as Pat correctly pointed out, the guitar picks toward the end of the song come in several seconds later than on the vinyl 45.

By the way, has the original stereo LP mix of "On the Road Again" appeared anywhere on CD? (I have to say though that overall mix sounds pretty wimpy compared to the much "punchier" mono mix.)
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 September 2013 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the db still has the best of cd as emi 48377 listed as the
'45 version'....since the ending is different, it should be
re-classified as 'a failed attempt at recreating the 45
version'.....or something to that effect...

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 May 2015 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as liberty 56038 lists the run time
on the label as 3:33 but actually runs 3:23 and is
identical to the version found on the cd below

(M)     (3:22)   &nb sp; Time-Life 21786 Flower Power - Time Of The
Season (45 version)

this listed 45 run time info s/b added to the db...

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 February 2023 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Update on this song: I just compared my DJ 45 to my commercial copy. Couple of differences. The DJ copy shows LB-2566 on the label and runs
3:33. My commercial copy shows LB-2566-Re and runs 3:23. LB-2566-Re shortens the intro compared to the DJ copy. Levels are different too,
the DJ copy fades up gradually while LB-2566-Re fades up fast. Also, to my ears, the DJ copy has a lower vocal.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 February 2023 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Bill Cahill wrote:
Update on this song: I just compared my DJ 45 to my commercial copy. Couple of differences. The DJ copy shows LB-2566
on the label and runs
3:33. My commercial copy shows LB-2566-Re and runs 3:23. LB-2566-Re shortens the intro compared to the DJ copy. Levels are different too,
the DJ copy fades up gradually while LB-2566-Re fades up fast. Also, to my ears, the DJ copy has a lower vocal.

I compared the commercial and promo 45 dubs you sent and in addition to the differences you noted, the ending is quite different between
the two, with the harmonica solo extending longer and the "bee buzzing" (for lack of a better term) before the guitar plucks also
extending longer on the promo. Not sure if the promo is EQ'ed differently or if the bass guitar is mixed higher on the promo as well.

I wonder if the song was released earlier in the year to no action, and someone at Liberty decided to tweak it and reissue.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 February 2023 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I was hoping the mastering history would tell a more illuminating story...

Stereo LP version (4:53-ish)

I don't have this on CD, but I found a file in a folder from an unknown source that's mastered way too loud.

1994 stereo remix (4:59)

The first 10 seconds are entirely in the left channel, with silence in the right channel. Same for the portion between 4:40 and 4:47.

The remix was done for EMI's Uncanned Best Of (1994). It sounds terrific by my modern-ear standards, with superb balance among instruments, nice full EQ, a very nice soundstage, and no excessive compression/limiting. Comparing it to the original stereo mix calls attention to the deficiencies in the original stereo mix (why all the drums in the right channel?) It does sound great, but it's not the 1968 hit mix. There's a differently EQ'd digital clone on Disky UK's The Beat Goes On Vol. 7 (1997), which may be part of a 10-CD set. Both run 4:59.

Mono 45 version (3:22)

Original pressings of the 45 (both promo and commercial) are LB-2566, running 3:33 (according to Bill's post).
Later reissues of the 45 (both promo and commercial) are LB-2566-Re, running 3:23 (also according to Bill's post).

It appears that Rhino considers the -Re reissue to be the hit version.

The first instance of the (-Re reissue) mono 45 on CD is Rhino's Blues Masters Volume 7: Blues Revival (1993). I don't have this disc, but it's from Rhino's heyday, and I'd be shocked if the sound quality was anything less than stellar. The database says that it runs 3:22 here.

I do have the mono 45 version on Time-Life's 2-CD Flower Power Time Of The Season (2007). It also runs 3:22 here. I'd bet a shiny new penny that it's a digital clone of the Rhino disc, but I can't confirm. It sounds just fine here as well.

The database says that the only other US CD to include the mono 45 version is Time-Life's 2-CD The Woodstock Collection Time Of The Season (2010), which I don't have. The database says that this disc also runs 3:22, so I'd bet yet another shiny new penny that it's also a digital clone of the Rhino disc, but can't confirm.

The original 3:33 45 doesn't appear on CD.

Non-hit stereo edit in unsuccessful attempt to mimic the mono 45 (3:23)

Sadly, this seems to be the most common version on CD.

I believe that this first appeared on CD on EMI-Manhattan's The Best Of Canned Heat (1987).

The following discs all use the same analog transfer, but I don't know if it originated with Best Of:
  • Time-Life's Classic Rock Vol. 4 1968 (1988) - left and right channels swapped; the others below all have correct left/right channels
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Guitar Rock (1990)
  • Priority's Seventies Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 10 Hitchin' A Ride (1991) - soundstage narrowed and noise reduction added; avoid
  • Time-Life's Guitar Rock Vol. 12 The Late '60s (1994)
  • CEMA Special Markets' 2-CD Rock N Roll Greatest Hits Of All Time Vol. 3 (1995)
  • Ace UK's Chartbusters USA Vol. 1 (1999)
One outlier that uses a different analog transfer: Silver Eagle's 2-CD Ready To Rock (1988), which sounds OK.

If I had to pick (and I don't have the 1987 Best Of disc), I'd go with either of the Time-Life Guitar Rock collections.

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 February 2023 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

I'd bet a shiny new penny that the first instance of the Non-hit stereo edit in
unsuccessful attempt to mimic the mono 45 (3:23) was on the 1969 LP "The
Canned Heat Cook Book (The Best Of Canned Heat)". I guess rather than the
LP version, they wanted to put the single, and since a stereo tape likely didn't
exist for the 45 they created one, but made the error.

There is a CD reissue of that LP on 2003 UK BGO "Hallelujah / Cook Book" that
does feature the stereo edit.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 February 2023 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I took the 3:22 45 version on Flower Power and slowed it
down by one second since it runs slightly faster than
Bill's 3:23 commercial 45 version.

I wonder why the longer version on the promo 45 was never
released commercially.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 February 2023 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

John - It looks like the earlier version may have been released commercially, too.

Here's a listing on Discogs.

The matrix number printed on the 45 surface has an RE-1, so it's anybody's guess what's actually in the grooves. I see RE2 on some of the pressings that have "-Re" printed on the label.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 26 February 2023 at 7:40pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version