Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Tears For Fears - "Head Over Heels" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 June 2011 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote abagon

The vinyl LP version of "Head Over Heels" tracks into the next selection with audience's applause.
(LP title "Songs From The Big Chair" Mercury 422-824 300-1 M-1)

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2012 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

My 45 is Mercury 880 899-7, with a designation of "(Re-Mix)" on both the label and the picture sleeve, and "Remixed by Dave Bascombe" on the label. It sounds like Mercury was pulling out all the stops to make sure this was a hit.

The 45 has a printed time of 4:15, has an actual time of 4:15, starts at 95.0 BPM and ends at 94.9 BPM. It has a real, but very small, drift in tempo - nothing you'll hear, though.

The 45 versions on CD seem to use one of two analog transfers.

The first was on Tears Roll Down Greatest Hits 82-92 (1992), where it runs about 4:14 and actually seems to track into the next selection (the last 0.017 seconds has the opening sound from "Mad World"). It runs at 95.2 BPM throughout, with no drift.

There are a few CDs that use the same analog transfer as Tears Roll Down, including:
  • Priority's Rock Of The '80s Vol. 12 (1994; mastered a little too loud but doesn't sound too bad)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 12 1985-1986 (1995; differently-EQ'd digital clone)
  • Mercury's The Millennium Collection (digital clone with additional compression/limiting - in a null test, drop the level of this by 3 dB and listen closely to hear exactly what the effect of a limiter is!)
All of the above fade to zero before that "Mad World" note kicks in.

The other mastering is for Rhino's Just Can't Get Enough Vol. 15 (1995). Here, it runs 4:17, begins at 94.4 BPM and ends at 94.3 BPM. (Again, real, but nothing that you'll hear.) It's about 0.7% slower than the true 45, which you can hear in a side-by-side test, but may not be immediately obvious to you out of context, like hearing it on the radio. FYI, there was a New York radio station (WPLJ) that used to pitch their music up by 2%, and you can definitely hear a 2% change, even out of context.

There's a differently EQ'd digital clone of Just Can't Get Enough on Time-Life's 2-CD Modern Rock Vol. 9 Mid-'80s (2000).

The sound is very good on both the Rhino disc and Tears Roll Down, but I give a tiny nod to the Rhino disc for having the tail of the fade extend a fraction of a second longer.

If you're a stickler, you can use Audacity to increase the speed of the Rhino disc by 0.7% to match the true 45.

As for the LP version, you're probably aware that the original '80s era Songs From The Big Chair (the "atomic" design) has its left and right channels swapped.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 21 May 2012 at 6:57am
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 April 2016 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just came across a listing for a live version of "Head Over Heels" that was released on a promo 45 when the song was a hit. Its catalog number is PRO 392-7 DJ. I'm not sure if Pat includes live promo versions in the database, but I thought it was interesting and wanted to pass it along.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 April 2016 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

I have a promo 12" of that live version on PRO 393.
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 April 2016 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

cmmmbase wrote:
I have a promo 12" of that live version on PRO 393.

I also have that, and I've wondered if it got any play at top 40? The B-side is a live recording of "Listen/Head Over Heels/Listen," running 7+ minutes, which made me think this item (and perhaps the 45) was serviced more for AOR stations. Any memories from 1986?
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version