Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Mike Posner - Cooler Than Me Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 June 2011 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

The TM Century database lists all their entries for "Cooler Than Me" as "single mix", which implies it's different than the album mix. (They also list a "remix" by Mike Posner feat. Jim Jones but I'm not enquiring about that version.) How does the "single mix" differ from the album mix? I only have the album version (on CD) and I don't recall ever hearing any single mix that differs from the album. Anyone know? (Aaron, this seems like it would be up your alley :)

In the database, Pat notes that on the album the song tracks into the next song (slightly). I notice that this version has 2 more "pulses" at the fadeout, than a version a friend has (which may be from TM Century), but other than those extra 2 pulses on the album version (before the song completely fades out), I can't hear any differences.

Edited by EdisonLite on 05 June 2011 at 10:44pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 June 2011 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I don't own the Mike Posner album to compare, but I'm sure your assessment is correct. The single was released several months before the album, so if there was another mix that was intended for the album, perhaps it was shelved.

Edited by aaronk on 06 June 2011 at 8:50am

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 June 2011 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Follow up, from Wikipedia: The original version features Cooler Than Me - Mike Posner & the Brain Trust Ft. Big Sean. They were later removed on the single mix.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Well, on iTunes, the album does say "Single Mix" for "Cooler Than Me." I did buy the stand-alone single on iTunes, which did say "Single Mix" on the cover, so if you need to hear it let me know.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 06 June 2011 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Promo Only shows it as being a "clean edit", which implies some lyrical content in the album version being deemed risque.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

mainrhythm
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote mainrhythm

The original Cooler Than Me wasn't dancey like the version that went on to become a hit. I believe the dancey, hit version was remixed by Gigamesh.

Edited by mainrhythm on 06 June 2011 at 8:20am
Back to Top View mainrhythm's Profile Search for other posts by mainrhythm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Hykker wrote:
Promo Only shows it as being a "clean edit", which implies some lyrical content in the album version being deemed risque.

Although I'm not sure what was edited from "Cooler Than Me," this is one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of Promo Only in the last several years. They often times make their own clean edits, and some of the things they edit are totally ridiculous. For example, they removed the word "boobies" in Usher's "OMG." In other cases, I've heard them edit out the words "hell" and "damn." Personally, I'd rather them just leave the songs the way they are issued by the record companies.

mainrhythm
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote mainrhythm

I know there's a sh!t in there, but don't have the original to compare.

On the single mix he says "you wear 'em around like it ain't shhh(turntable/tape stop effect)

On the Promo Only Mainstream Radio clean edit, they edited it so it says "you wear 'em around like it ain't it" It's kind of abrupt but it sounds fine.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Wow - I leave a question on this board last night, and I wake up to find 7 responses in the morning. This is what I love about this board!

Very interesting info. I'll have to check for the "s" word on what I have (the album). If it is just "shhhh", I wonder where the actual word appears.

Brian, if you could send me an mp3 of the single mix, I'll compare the 2 versions for any real mix differences.

Mainrhythm, do you (or anyone else here) have a copy of the original, non-dancey version of the song? I'd love to hear that!

And does anyone know - this non-dancey original version - would that be the same version that includes the Brain Trust Ft. Big Sean? Or are there 2 completely different early versions of this song?

Many bios of Mike Posner indicate that he's a rapper, but I didn't find him rapping on "Cooler Than Me" and I'm not sure he does anywhere on the album, which is kind of odd if he did indeed start out as a rapper.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

mainrhythm
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote mainrhythm

Yes, original is Brain Trust & Big Sean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O51ntaeD8kQ

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

mainrhythm wrote:
Yes, original is Brain Trust & Big Sean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O51ntaeD8kQ

Man, that shhhh (turntable slow down effect) is horrible! Of course, I personally don't care for the hit version either.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Wow, that original version is very different - even the lyrics, like the line ...

"You're so vain. You prob'ly think this song is about you. Don't you? Don't you?" (And even the "about you - don't you - don't you" has the Carly Simon melody!) For the sake of the would-be impending lawsuit, it's a good thing he took that part out!

As for the editing of the word "sh**", the swear word is not on the album version either, so I don't think any "clean" edits are different than any other version.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 April 2020 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Paul Haney,

Cooler Than Me by Mike Posner in 2010 does not run 3:45. My guess is that Whitburn is referring to the 3:45 version which includes Big Sean (as mentioned in this post) that was not the one that shot up the charts in 2010, but the release in 2009.

https://www.discogs.com/Mike-Posner-Cooler-Than-Me-EP/releas e/9677463

The correct time is 3:32, which is the version which appears on Now 35 and is known as the "Single Mix". This is also the promo only edit. I recently realized there is a clean and unclean version of this song (I say unclean because it really isn't explicit but it implies it). I just fixed it in my collection because the edited takes out the sh and it goes to the it...while the album version leaves in the shhh...without the it.

Edisonlite was correct there is no curse word. As for Paul Haney, my hope is you will correct the time based on what I pointed out....

Edited by PopArchivist on 09 April 2020 at 7:40pm

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 April 2020 at 4:25am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

PopArchivist wrote:
Paul Haney, my hope is you will
correct the time based on what I pointed out....

Done! Thanks again!

Edited by Paul Haney on 10 April 2020 at 4:26am
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version