Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Tracey Ullman - They Don’t Know Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 June 2011 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Does anybody have multiple copies of Tracey Ullman's "They Don't Know" to compare?

I've been struck by how compressed and strident my copy is and while that may have been the sound she was shooting for, I'm questioning my source for this song.

If you can review / recommend a particular CD with this song, or a collection of CDs containing the song so I can make an informed decision on which one to purchase, it would be greatly appreciated.

The song seems too nice to have in less-than-best fidelity, and I've seem some excellent breakdowns here on various versions of the same song and the perks and pitfalls of various copies.

Thanks in advance for your help!!! This database and this message board are invaluable to me.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

That big '60s-era girl-group sound is what they were shooting for, and that's the way it sounds on every copy that's out there, vinyl or CD. It sounded spectacular on the air, though, and is still one of my favorite mid-'80s tracks.

The song is EQ'd weirdly, and the handful of versions I have vary from a little bass-shy (Just Can't Get Enough Vol. 12, Time-Life's Modern Rock Vol. 12 1980-1984, Like Omigod box) to a little treble-shy (Now 1983) to EXTREMELY treble-shy (EMI Australia's 5-CD box Eighties Complete Vol. 2, the original release of You Broke My Heart In 17 Places), to ear-splittingly maximized (the Disky 8-CD set More Greatest Hits Of The '80s) and one taken from vinyl (The A List).

I have some other lossless files and mp3 files from some other discs, and they're just as all-over-the-map.

My recommendations: Avoid the EMI Australia 5-CD set, the original You Broke My Heart, and the Disky 8-CD set for this track. (Not all of the tracks on the multi-disc compilations sound this bad.)

At the end of the day, the two Rhino discs are probably going to sounds as good as it's going to get. The Time-Life disc is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of Just Can't Get Enough. The 2-CD Now 1983 set (from 1993) is almost as good as the above three. Any of these four discs should work just fine for you.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 07 June 2011 at 2:01pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I was always happy with the sound of the Tracey Ullman CD that was released on Rhino.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

This is great info; thanks guys! Sounds like (unsurprisingly) one of the Rhino CDs is going to be the way to go.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version