Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: John Lennon - Stand By Me Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 April 2011 at 5:33am | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

I've been asking a lot of questions on this forum, so I'm happy to post my first addition to the database.

The 45 and LP versions of "Stand By Me" are actually different mixes. The easiest way to spot the difference is that the single has added strings (synth?) on the intro. These are prominent from 0:05-0:18.

For the longest time the best place to source the 45 mix was Lennon Legend, even though it faded a few seconds earlier than the original 45. Not sure which versions are on the new comps, other than I've confirmed the LP version is on the Gimme Some Truth box.
Back to Top View Ringmaster_D's Profile Search for other posts by Ringmaster_D

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 April 2011 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Nice catch, Ringmaster_D!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Rockdent
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 April 2011 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote Rockdent

I have up till now only read posts without responding so I apologize for being a confused "newbie", but I really don't hear the issue that is being referred to here (I do not have Lennon Legend on CD however). I pulled out my vinyl 45 and LP copies of Stand By Me and played them back to back and they sound identical as to the stringlike organ sounds early on. I then pulled out the 3 versions of CDs I have with Stand By Me on them and again the original CD version of the Rock 'N Roll LP sounds identical as well. The Imagine soundtrack also mimics that same mix. The 2004 remix of Rock 'N Roll definitely moves and mutes that keyboard/strings sort of sound, but it is still there as well. What am I missing?

Edited by Rockdent on 23 April 2011 at 3:47pm
Back to Top View Rockdent's Profile Search for other posts by Rockdent

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 April 2011 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Welcome Rockdent!

My memory seems to coincide with yours; I don't remember a version without that keyboard either (I believe it was an ARP String Ensemble).

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 April 2011 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

I just listened to the version on the new Rock 'n Roll remaster as compared with the 45 version on Lennon Legend and the overdub is clear. It's not the organ that differs -- that is on all versions. The 45 has a string synth overdub that comes in clearly at the 0:05 mark. This is not present on the original LP version. I also checked "Eight Arms To Hold You" by Chip Madinger & Mark Easter and this book also documents the difference.

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 April 2011 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

So is the Lennon Legend CD the only disc with the 45 version (with the overdub)?

Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 April 2011 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

Lennon Legend is the only digital source that I know of for the single mix, although I don't own all the Lennon compilations so I can't be sure. By the way, the single mix appeared on the original 45 (Apple 1881) and the 1977 Capitol Starline re-issue.

I can confirm the following compilations have the LP mix: the Lennon box, Power To The People: The Hits, and the Gimme Some Truth box.

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Pat, have you been able to listen to the CDs in the database, and, have you
discovered this difference? The versions I have heard of this track all sound
identical to me. What am I missing? I am not even sure if I have the 45 or LP
mix on Imagine soundtrack and John Lennon Collection (then again, THAT
CD was remastered and songs changed on it from the first edition of it).

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 May 2011 at 11:27pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I used to have the Lennon "Collection" CD (I got rid of it after upgrading the superior sounding "Legend" CD) and I never noticed a different mix for "Stand By Me" on "Collection. Does anyone know which mix has been on that?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Here is my take on this "Stand By Me" situation. My ears do not hear a difference between the original vinyl 45 and vinyl LP "Rock 'n' Roll". Regarding cd's I do not hear any differnce between the "Lennon Legend" cd and the original "Rock 'n' Roll" cd. The reissued cd of "Rock 'n' Roll" (Capitol 74329) to my ears features a remixed version of Stand By Me that is neither the 45 nor LP mix. My ears are admittedly not the best anymore but a number of contributors seem to agree with me.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I wish I could find my original LP but I no longer have it. I do have the original 45 and several re-issues. So I can't speak to the absolute original vinyl album, but there are two mixes out there. As Ringmaster D states, there are no extra synth strings on the beginning of the song on the 2010 remaster of Rock and Roll, on Gimme Some Truth, The Lennon Box, and Power to the People (The Hits). I DO hear the extra synth string on the original 45, the starline 45, on Legend, on The John Lennon Collection, and on the Timeless Music Collection done through CEMA special products and sold at Sams Club, that collection is titled "John Lennon Instant Karma All Time Greatest Hits".
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 3:40am | IP Logged Quote MMathews

I'll be danged.... i never ever noticed that.

But i just checked my copies as well... the versions on "The John Lennon Collection" and also "Legend" have this string-synth overdub.
It appears the album version does not.

-MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To Mark Matthews:

I'm not sure that I follow your post.

Do you mean to say you have an original vinyl "Rock And Roll" album that has no String Ensemble?

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

And also the Adam VIII LP which was illegally released was a different rough mix from a 7 1/2 IPS tape.

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 May 2011 at 12:17am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

I would like someone to post a link so that I can listen to the two versions
(just the beginning), as I still can not hear any difference. Maybe at my age,
my ears can not hear this frequency?

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 May 2011 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

If I'm interpreting all of the posts above correctly (and correct me if I'm wrong), the conclusion is:

45 version = LP version = version on the original "Rock 'n Roll" CD, but that there is a remastered version of the "Rock 'n Roll" CD which contains an alternate mix (missing a string synth overdub in the intro) that has never shown up commercially until the the CD era. Correct?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 May 2011 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hi Gordon,

Actually, i think that's partially correct. There IS a remaster / remix of the album. It has no string overdub, but i don't think the original mix of the album did either. (Anyone with a vinyl copy to check?)

Here's what I am gathering from all the above data: the original 45 mix has a string overdub starting at :05. (which does continue as the song goes on, it's just very low. It's loudest in the intro).

Andrew: to answer your Q, no, i no longer have the original vinyl album to compare.
I DO have the CD of the album (original mix) and the re-master/remixed version of the album. The remix of the album sounds quite good, but also does NOT contain the string overdub.

So, to re-cap...neither of my copies of "Rock And Roll" CD contain the strings.
Per above posts, the Apple 45 and Starline re-issue 45 DO contain the strings.

And 2 CD's DO contain this 45 mix with strings: "The John Lennon Collection" and "Lennon: Legend". I listened to both, and i hear the strings.

I think i am up to speed on this...please correct me if i missed something... :-)

MM     

Edited by MMathews on 04 May 2011 at 1:50pm
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 May 2011 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

I finally listened to this track on four different CDs and never realized the added strings until this thread. I hear the overdub on the same two discs Mark and Bill mention above (Collection and Legend). I do not hear the strings on the 2004 release of Rock 'N' Roll (which is the expanded version with four bonus tracks). The strings are also missing on the Music From The Original Motion Picture "Imagine." I'm amazed that after all this time the board members here still find these subtle differences on LP vs. 45 mixes. Like Todd said earlier: nice catch Ringmaster_D!

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 May 2011 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

I didn't realize I even owned the vinyl LP of "Rock 'N' Roll", but I have A Capitol Re-Issue SN-16069.

It has NO STRING ENSEMBLE!!

Andy

Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 May 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

Thanks guys. Just glad to contribute around here after all the insight everyone else has given me!

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version