Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: single mix of We Got the Beat? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 March 2011 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

Don't know if this ever came up before, but on the Return to the Valley of the Go-Go's CD, it says (single mix) on this track. I just compared it to the version on the Beauty and the Beat CD 44797 5021 2, and i'm not sure if my ears are trying to find a difference, but I found that the "return" version seems a lot fuller and bass heavy while the "beauty" version is less muddy and clearer (personally, the fuller version sounds more like what I remember hearing for years). Perhaps it's the difference in mastering and volume levels and not a 'mix' difference at all. Not sure.

Also of note, my copy of Beauty and the Beat is actually defective in that it cuts off the very first beat of Our Lips are Sealed. Does anyone else have this CD who could tell me if that was a mastering error or if I have a defective CD (no worries, because I have the song on dozens of other comps, just curious). Thanks.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

My copy of Beauty & The Beat also has that truncated
first beat on "Our Lips Are Sealed". I asked about it on
another forum years ago and most responses indicated that
their CD did not have the problem. So it appears that
the mastering error was corrected at some point.

With regard to "We Got The Beat", the single mix vs. LP
mix is something I have been meaning to investigate over
the years but never got around to it. I didn't recall
any noticeable mix differences between my 45 and the LP
(both of which I bought in 1982) and was confused when
some Go-Go's comps began referring to a single mix.

Sometimes it can be very difficult to distinguish between
a punchier mix vs. big mastering differences (e.g.
compression and eq). I'll try to give these a comparison
one of these days and see if I can determine if there is
a true mix difference.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

There were two recordings of "We Got The Beat". The first was issued in the UK on Stiff records and the second a year later for the IRS release Beauty And The Beat.

The second version was the US single release and, if I'm not mistaken, the description "(Single Mix)" was used on Return To The Valley Of The Go-Go's to differentiate between the two recordings.

The CD Single for "The Whole World Lost Its Head" (from 'Valley') contains the first version of WGTB with no description beyond the title.

So, according to the Return To The Valley Of The Go-Go's era:

- "We Got The Beat" = UK Stiff single version

- "We Got The Beat (Single Mix)" = IRS Beauty And The Beat version (US single)
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To Underground Dub:

There were two different mixes of the IRS verion (in addition to the Stiff-label version).

I'm just not 100% sure if the original IRS mix was ever released commercially.

When "Our Lips Are Sealed" was issued as the first IRS single from 'Beauty & The Beat' a promo 12" was issued (SP 70956) to AOR & Dance Clubs with two tracks on the B-side ("Tonite" & "We Got The Beat").

"We Got The Beat" here has more bass, less reverb on the snare, no one-note keyboard after the first chorus, & is six-seconds longer than the subsequent single mix that came out later. My vinyl pressing of 'Beauty & The Beat' has the single mix, but it's not necessarily the first pressing of the vinyl (so I don't know if the newer mix was swapped at some point).

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Thanks Andy, had no idea about a third mix/version. :)
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

ah. so the two versions I have could very well be different mixes. I'll have to listen more closely now with the details Andy outlined. I happened to notice on amazon that in one person's review for the version of Beauty and the Beat that I have, aside from mentioning the issues with Our Lips are Sealed, the reviewer states that We Got the Beat is shorter than the version he used to have on his vinyl LP...
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hi

i can add my memory to this as well, i never bought it at the time, but assumed the import IRS 12" single must have been what i heard on WLIR on Long Island at the time.

I noticed minor differences in the overall sound, but what jumped out at me was at the break around 1:50 when she sings "everybody get on your feet, we know you can dance to the beat"....
in the common version there are handclaps. In the one i heard on WLIR, there was jst the hard snare hit, NO handclaps. That was the version i never found a copy of.
I asked at the time, and was told they played the 12" version.   Hopefully someone can locate a IRS 12" and confirm that someday.
As for the U.S. 45 and LP, i could never notice any mixing difference.
-MM

Edited by MMathews on 30 March 2011 at 2:10pm
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

hm...i wonder if the versions on ALL the compilations in the database are all the same mix.

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

But the US 45-rpm disc had an edit at :40 during the instrumental break, did it not?

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

This is an intriguing thread!

I have the song on 11 different CDs, and all seem to be based on just a few different analog transfers.

There's a bunch that use the same analog transfer as Warner Special Products' Night Beat (1988). (Note: This may be based on the Beauty And The Beat CD mastering, but I don't have that to compare.)

These include:
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Awesome '80s
  • JCI's Only Dance 1980-1984
  • JCI's Only Rock 'N Roll #1 Radio Hits 1980-1984
Then there's a bunch that use the same transfer as I.R.S.'s Go-Go's Greatest (1990):
  • the promo set The A List
  • Cema/Big Ear Music's Only In The 80's Vol. 1
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 25 Rolling Stone 1980-1981
  • Time-Life's Gold And Platinum Vol. 4
  • Time-Life's Modern Rock Vol. 5 Dance
All sounds like the same mix to me. Slightly different EQ, perhaps, but the same mix, and the only mix I've ever heard on the air or on record.

Oh, the same mix also appears on Priority's Eighties Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 2.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 19 July 2012 at 7:56am
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 March 2011 at 12:41am | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

Jody Thornton wrote:
But the US 45-rpm disc had an edit
at :40 during the instrumental break, did it not?

No. The LP is the same as the hit 45. I have both and
compared them.

All they are saying on that CD comp is that there was
once an earlier version before it was recorded for I.R.S.
Records and became a hit single. That they do this only
confuses people.   

Edited by The Hits Man on 31 March 2011 at 12:44am

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 March 2011 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

So is the edit that I describe on a promo? I definitely know it exists.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 March 2011 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Here we go - I guessed at :40 but it's :45 seconds. Take a listen for the splice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqqb71gEAbY&feature=related

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 March 2011 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To Jody Thornton:

The version on YouTube IS the single version/mix.

The earlier promo version/mix I referenced has the missing six seconds [label time 2:36].

I don't believe the single MIX was ever issued WITH the extra six seconds [label time 2:30].

Andy

Edited by AndrewChouffi on 31 March 2011 at 2:22pm
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Finally got to sort this one out.

First, it was recorded for a UK Stiff Records 45 in 1980. It's really obvious that it's a completely different recording. Then, it was rerecorded from scratch for I.R.S.

The first pressings of the Beauty And The Beat vinyl LP had this original I.R.S. mix on it, which Andrew correctly described above as having more bass, less reverb on the snare, no one-note keyboard after the first chorus, and is six seconds longer than the subsequent single mix that came out later.

The six second difference is after the first chorus and before the second verse - it's just extra repetitions of the guitar line. That's how it was originally arranged on the Stiff version, and they carried it over to the I.R.S. recording.

After "Our Lips Are Sealed" had run its course, I.R.S. tweaked "We Got The Beat" for the 45, bringing Belinda's vocals a little more clearly in front, adding keyboards and a few handclaps, and taking out six seconds to get into the second verse more quickly. All were very good decisions, in my opinion. Mind you, the two mixes sound very similar, to the point where even after hearing the song for 30 years, I couldn't tell one from the other until I got to the second verse.

This remix made it onto the 45, made it onto later pressings of the LP, and made it onto all the CD versions of the song that I know of. The original mix is lost to history, much like a few of Michael Jackson's tracks from Off The Wall.

I verified all this myself at a local record store (yay, Cheapo!) They had four copies of the Beauty And The Beat LP, three of which had the original mix - that's good news if you're looking for the original mix. The fourth had a "2" in the matrix number - something like "M2" at the end of the matrix number. The others didn't have the M2. I bought one of the nice condition original pressings (it still had the plastic and the contains the single "Our Lips Are Sealed" sticker on it), but I just moved into a new house, and it will be a significant amount of time before I can get back to dubbing vinyl.

If you want to check your copy of Beauty And The Beat, it's easiest to let it play into the second verse - if it gets there when you expect it, it's a later pressing that has the 45 remix. If it sounds like it's taking too long to get to the second verse, that's an original pressing with the original LP mix. The artwork, including the labels, are the same for both. All your CDs have the 45 remix.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 19 July 2012 at 7:55am
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

I found a YouTubey for the original mix. I would have just thought of this as the LP version (not ever knowing that they switched to the single remix for the latter part of the LPs chart run). I remembered it sounding "thinner" than the single, but I assume that the instrumentation and vocal take (other than the repeated piano between the verses) is the same, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq4Y47esGjY&feature=related

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 August 2013 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Just updating the list. All are the common 45 mix.

The first place it appeared on CD was I.R.S.'s Beauty And The Beat (1981; not sure when CD was actually released). There's a differently EQ'd digital clone on Greatest (1990), and a few that use the same analog transfer as both of these:
  • Priority's Eighties Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 2 Leather And Lace (1992; a little loud and clips a lot)
  • Swaitek's 50-CD promo The A List Disc 12 (1994)
  • Big Ear Music's Only In The '80s Vol. 1 (1995)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 25 Rolling Stone 1980-1981 (1995)
  • Time-Life's Gold And Platinum Vol. 4 (1997; digitally identical to Greatest)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Modern Rock Vol. 5 Dance (1999; differently EQ'd digital clone of Sounds Of Eighties)
I think the same analog transfer may have been used for Warner Special Products' 2-CD Night Beat (1988), because the two track so closely, but the EQ is different enough that I can't really tell. There are some that use the same analog transfer as Night Beat and sound extremely close to Night Beat:
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Awesome '80s (1994)
  • JCI's Only Dance 1980-1984 (1995)
  • JCI's Only Rock 'N Roll #1 Radio Hits 1980-1984 (1996)
All of the above sound pretty good, all with very nice dynamic range and no extra compression. (The Priority disc is too loud, though.) Any variations in sound quality is basically EQ, and there is a wide variety of EQ setting for these discs. The only other analog transfer I could find is on Return To The Valley Of The Go-Go's, which sounds surprisingly good - no extra compression or any weird EQ.

Overall, if I had to recommend one, I'd pick Greatest (1990), because it has a better EQ than Beauty And The Beat.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 12 August 2013 at 8:29pm

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 May 2021 at 5:04am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Having just been sent this original I.R.S. mix, and refamiliarizing with this
almost 8-year-old thread, I ask, is this the 12" that featured that mix?

https://www.discogs.com/Go-Gos-We-Got-The-Beat/release/73491 0

I ask, because the timing on it is of the shorter, remixed LP and 45 (more
confusion). It shows as having been issued in 1981, which would make sense.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 May 2021 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

No, this is the one with the original mix:
https://www.discogs.com/Go-Gos-Our-Lips-Are-
Sealed/release/2518530

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 May 2021 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Thanks Aaron! Didn't know to look for it being on the b-side to "Out Lips Are
Sealed"...

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version