Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: mariah carey i still believe Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 March 2011 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial cd single for the mariah carey song "i still believe" issued as columbia 79093 contains the below tracks

1-i still believe/imagination "damizza reemix featuring krayzie bone & da brat" (4:32 listed; 4:31 actual)
2-i still believe "morales' classic club mix edit" (3:51 listed; 3:51 actual)

in the db pat lists the remix run time as 4:38....that doesn't jibe with the above listed data....anyone have the promo cd single that may should some light on the differences....

Edited by edtop40 on 21 March 2011 at 6:41pm

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 March 2011 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My commercial copy of this single also runs (4:31). What is so interesting is that Joel Whitburn lists this song as running (3:51) which would be track 2 of the cd single which is the "Morales' Classic Club Mix Edit". Billboard did not list any specific mix in their chart listing for "I Still Believe".
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 March 2011 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

The remix featuring Krayzie Bone & Da Brat is considered the "B-side" and it hit #3 on the R&B chart.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

But if it is the first track on the commercial cd single how can it be the "B" side Paul? Does anyone have a dj copy of this cd single? Anyone else wish to chime in on this situation?

Edited by Pat Downey on 25 March 2011 at 9:47am
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Pat Downey wrote:
But if it is the first track on the commercial cd single how can it be the "B" side Paul? Does anyone have a dj copy of this cd single? Anyone else wish to chime in on this situation?

OK, I've looked into this one some more.

Turns out there were 2 different commercial CD singles for this one.

The one from Ed's original post and this one:

Columbia 79104

1. Album Version (listed 3:55, actual 3:54)
2. Stevie J. Clean Remix Featuring Mocha & Amil (listed & actual 5:04)
3. Morales' Classic Club Mix (listed & Actual 9:02)
4. I Still Believe/Pure Imagination - Damizza Reemix Featuring Krayzie Bone & Da Brat (listed 4:32, actual 4:31)
5. The Kings Mix (listed & actual 8:04)

Now, obviously CHR radio was playing the Album Version (which is cut #1 above), so this is the one we show in the Hot 100 Annual. I will change the time from (3:51) to (3:54).

The R&B chart always showed the title as "I Still Believe/Pure Imagination" (which is cut #4 above) and so that's the title as we show it in the R&B book.

I do not have a promo single for this.

Edited by Paul Haney on 26 March 2011 at 4:34am

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

but the catalog number from the billboard charts from that period, is the one i have columbia 79093 and NOT the one you have, columbia 79104......so wouldn't the first track from the single format from the time, from the catalog on the charts, in this case, cd single be the version that's considered the true single version?

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

This is a rare example of a song for which the pop hit does not appear on the two-track commercial single at all.

Brian W. discussed the song in this thread:
http://www.top40musiconcd.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114

My U.S. promo CD single (Columbia CSK 41802) contains the following tracks:
1. Album Version
2. Stevie J. Remix Edit featuring Mocha & Amil
3. Damizza Reemix [sic] Edit featuring Krayzie Bone & Da Brat
4. David Morales Remix Edit
5. Album Version Callout Hook #1
6. Album Version Callout Hook #2
Note that both the callout hooks are from the album version.

On the Hot 100, "I Still Believe" charted for its first three weeks as an album cut (only a few weeks after such songs became eiligible for the chart). As Paul Haney states, most pop stations played the album version while most R&B stations played the Damizza Reemix which is, as Brian states, actually titled "I Still Believe/Pure Imagination" and is, except for the words "I Still Believe" really a completely different song. (It credits two additional songwriters and a completely different producer.)

The song was then released as the commercial maxi-single Paul Haney describes above (Columbia 79104). Starting with its fourth week on the Hot 100, the song was listed as Columbia 79104.

Shortly thereafter, the two-track commercial single Ed describes was released (Columbia 79093). The A-side was the R&B hit and the B-side was, as far as I can detect, the same as the David Morales Remix Edit on the promo CD. (The latter is a more conventional remix of the original version. It at least has the same lyrics). Starting with its sixth week on the Hot 100, the song was listed as Columbia 79093. The producer credits, however, continued to be listed as "S. Jordan, M. Mason" and the songwriting credits as "A. Armato, B. Cantarelli". This describes only the album version, eventhough this version does not even appear on Columbia 79093. The producers of the two tracks on the two-track single are Damizza (Track 1) and David Morales (Track 2). As previously stated, track 1 also credits two additional songwriters.

As Paul Haney states, the R&B chart showed the song title as "I Still Believe/Pure Imagination", which is how it is listed in Hot R&B Songs 1942-2010 (which came out just a couple of months ago). The book also states, however, that the B-side of Columbia 79093 was a #4 pop hit and tha the "B-side is the regular solo version on both the 45 and CD single." I don't really agree with this statement. The B-side of Columbia 79093 is as Ed states above, while the pop hit and "regular solo version" is the album version, which is the lead track on both the promo CD and the maxi-single but does not appear on the two-track commercial single.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 March 2011 at 4:30am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Paul C did an excellent job of summing up this whole situation. I agree that the note in the R&B book is incorrect. We should probably show the Columbia 79104 information in the Top Pop Singles book and the Columbia 79093 information in the R&B book.

Edited by Paul Haney on 26 March 2011 at 4:33am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 March 2011 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks, Paul Haney, for confirming the 5-track commercial maxi-CD single release of "I Still Believe" featuring the "Album Version" as the lead track. So I guess a case can technically be made then that the single version could be considered either the "I Still Believe/Pure Imagination" remix featuring Krayzie Bone & Da Brat *or* the "Album Version".
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Todd Ireland wrote:
So I guess a case can technically be made then that the single version could be considered either the "I Still Believe/Pure Imagination" remix featuring Krayzie Bone & Da Brat *or* the "Album Version".

True, but since there was an actual vinyl 45 for this issued in the US, complete with picture sleeve, the actual "45 version" is "I Still Believe/Pure Imagination." But even I feel that, in this rare case, the "45 version" is not the hit version -- the album version is.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 January 2012 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

The database currently has DJ CD single info listed for "I Still Believe", but not commercial single info. The 2-track commercial CD single should probably be noted, but I'm not sure if Pat normally includes maxi-CD single info. If so, it may be worth at least mentioning that the lead track is the "Album Version". And as Paul C. pointed out, "I Still Believe" and "I Still Believe/Pure Imagination" are completely different songs despite their similar titles.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 10 January 2012 at 11:22pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

After reading the thread above two quick questions:

Does anyone remember radio playing the David Morales Remix Edit and is the single the only place to find the I Still Believe/Pure Imagination?

I agree with Brain W. that the album version is the 45 version.
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 July 2018 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I don't ever recall hearing the Morales remix anywhere, other than
weekend mixshows perhaps.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version