Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Katy Perry album help Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 February 2011 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

Hey all,

I know there are two U.S. releases of this album, one in a jewel case and then a digipak that has two remixes not listed on the case:

http://www.discogs.com/Katy-Perry-Teenage-Dream/release/2412 921

However, I can't figure out if the digipak version is uncensored (which would be what I want). I've seen the digipak version at Walmart, but it doesn't have an explicit warning on it, while it does in all the pictures I've seen online, which could mean retailers are simply using the same image for all versions of the disc, OR that Walmart had a special digipak version made with the clean lyrics since they don't carry explicit versions.

Does anyone know anything about the digipak version? Best Buy didn't have it, and amazon once had it listed, but doesn't anymore. The only disc I see on amazon that has the remixes I want is on an import with a bonus disc that features several bonus tracks (all others of which I already have) and is, of course, more expensive.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

There is definitely an explicit and a clean version of the original pressing of the album. It seems logical that there would also be a clean and explicit copy of the digipak version, too. The fact that you have seen copies both with and without a PA sticker pretty much tells me that Walmart is selling the clean digipak version.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I'm shocked you can still find music for sale at Walmart. Their music section certainly isn't as large as it once was.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

they've just recently shrunk the music section in the one I go to here on long island. But current billboard hits are their forte...

I just can't figure out why the digipak isn't listed on amazon at all either clean or explicit.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 February 2011 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

I bought my uncensored digipack at Target, and it has two
bonus tracks: "Teenage Dream" and "California Gurls".

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 February 2011 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Crap! I bought it on LP, and I have not yet played it. I wonder if I would have the censored or uncensored version.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 February 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

You bought it on vinyl?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 February 2011 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

aaronk wrote:
You bought it on vinyl?

Yeppers - but you say that to me like it's still 1991...lol. Vinyl is in style again you know? But the truth is, I never gave it up. If you notice when I'm on this board, I don't usually seek CD reissues like the rest.

Did you guys get snowed on Aaron? Hope everyone is safe.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 February 2011 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

I really hope CDs come back in style again one of these days...I'm a collector, not a downloader...

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 February 2011 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I think vinyl has always been in style, but I typically only buy it when
what I'm looking for isn't on cd. But yes, I was surprised to know
you're still tracking down new releases on vinyl!

We got ice, and lots of it. Not really much snow, though. How is it in
Canada?

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2011 at 3:12am | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

Jody Thornton wrote:
[QUOTE=aaronk] You bought it on
vinyl?

How's the sound? I have been thinking of getting several
current releases on vinyl, but I really haven't heard much
difference between it and the CD. Besides, I really hate
off-center pressings!

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2011 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

The Hits Man wrote:
Jody Thornton wrote:
[QUOTE=aaronk] You bought it on
vinyl?

How's the sound? I have been thinking of getting several
current releases on vinyl, but I really haven't heard much
difference between it and the CD. Besides, I really hate
off-center pressings!

Yes off-centre pressings are a nuisance, but luckily they happen a LOT less on LPs than they ever did on 45s. That was one reason I prefered small-hole 45-rpm discs (ala Virgin and WEA promos). I did get one off-centre LP in 2003 when I bought Coldplay's "Rush of Blood to the Head". It was very audible on "Clocks", and that's not something you want when you pay fifty bucks for an LP - trust me, I'm not rich. But I have since obtained another copy.

LPs from the last fifteen to twenty years have usually been very good. In many cases, LPs are released as double-LPs, with usually only three songs a side. That may sound inconvenient, but you get two real benefits: (a) grooves can be distanced farther apart, akin to 12" singles, and thus you get dynamics that are much more CD-like. And (b), you can place the modulated grooves in the first 2/3 of the side and avoid that end-of-side tracking error that plagues all but the best cartridges.

My hi-fi currently has a Dual 502 (circa 1976) with a Grado Black on it. I am surprised at how open this cart is. Very little sibilance, a wide soundstage, but warm and textured at the same time. CDs to me sound very brittle.

Sure, there are scant pops and clicks, but for the most part the sound is quite "tangible". If the CD fans on this forum gave LPs another try with a good setup, they would be all filing away those shiny discs so they could take on their rightful place as dust collectors (I know that sounds like I'm a bitter analog fan, but think of what most people would have mockingly said to me in the 90s for sticking with my turntable, right?). But really, LPs can sound that astounding.

I am saddened by the sudden lack of 12" singles over the last two years. And R&B LPs are getting harder to come by. I understand that DJs were what kept that market alive, so now with "MP3 Turntables" being useed in the clubs, the need for 12" singles have dwindled. And those were the only means of coming by radio mixes on vinyl in many cases.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 February 2011 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jody Thornton wrote:
If the CD fans on this forum gave LPs another try with a good setup, they would be all filing away those shiny discs so they could take on their rightful place as dust collectors.

I'm one of the guys who has a "good" setup. I have a Technics 1200 with an AT440mla. It actually tracks quite well from start to finish, even during the last 1/3 of an LP side. I agree that vinyl can sound quite nice. But so many of us are singles collectors on this board, and 45s don't typically sound nearly as good, mainly because of the groove distortion and sibilance that you mentioned earlier.

I also enjoy Coldplay, and I ended up buying X&Y on both CD and vinyl, just so I could do some comparisons. I couldn't really distinguish between the two, though. They both had about the same tonal quality to my ears.

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 February 2011 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

I have a Music Hall 5 TT with an AT150mlx cart, so I have a
decent vinyl set-up. I like the cart because the 45s I
play on it sounds excellent, and there is no inner-groove
distortion whatsoever.

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 February 2011 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

I would love your observations on two things Hits Man:

Is your cart a Music Hall Tracker (ala Goldring?). Some find this cart bright, but I had a Goldring on my Revolver, and I found it great with the older New Wave/Synth Pop releases from the early 80s (eg. Soft Cell, Howard Jones, and the like).

I have heard that wow and flutter readings are higher than on turntables from years ago (around 0.1% non-weighted). Do you find it audible? I would wonder what a sustained piano note would sould like on your Music Hall.

I would assume the 1200 that Aaron uses is an SL-1200 MK2/5, and I know that wow and flutter ratings on his table would be well below 0.03%. Which means if he hears any wavering pitch, it would have to be an off-centre pressing, or a bad master tape - am I right Aaron?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 February 2011 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, I don't ever hear any wow or flutter, except as you note from off-center pressings. And yes, it's the MK2.

mstgator
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 July 2012 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote mstgator

Heads up to Pat: The database lists the subtitle of the reissued Teenage
Dream
as The Complete Collection; it should actually be The
Complete Confection
Back to Top View mstgator's Profile Search for other posts by mstgator

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register