Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: j geils band "give it to me" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 December 2005 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the database states that some cd versions run 6:28 and some run 3:07 while the 45's face always stated 3:07.....my 45 states the run time as 6:31 but actually runs 6:28..........it this just a type or do i have a rare 45??

Edited by edtop40 on 20 May 2011 at 11:59am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 December 2005 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I'm guessing you probably don't have a rare 45, Ed. More likely, it's just the first vinyl 45 copy with a 6:31 print time that has come to Pat's attention.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 29 December 2005 at 9:15pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 May 2007 at 12:45am | IP Logged Quote jimct

I just timed both my commercial 45 issues for this, which are both stereo. My listed (3:07) 45 actually comes in just a second longer, at (3:08), but my listed (6:31) commercial 45 has an actual time of (6:26), which is :05 different than Ed's earlier-submitted timing. My (6:26) timing happens to be closer to the 5 "long version" database CD appearances. FYI, my long 45's deadwax is "ST-A-26085-1".
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 May 2007 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Interesting... and it begs the question as to why a record label would go through the trouble of issuing two different pressings of a song that differ in length by only a handful of seconds? I can't recall other examples off the top of my head, but I know the good folks on this message board have uncovered several other Top 40 hits where multiple 45 pressings have differed only by a mere few seconds in length.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 28 May 2007 at 8:44am

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 May 2007 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

It's possible that 2 versions, seemingly only 5 seconds apart, are actually 2 completely different edits that time out about the same. Or maybe they have different mixes but fade out just a few seconds apart. It would be interesting, as Todd Ireland points out, to know if there are any 2 versions that truly differ by one simply fading a few seconds earlier/later than the other. (And why would a label even bother?) I know sometimes a 45 will be just a few seconds shorter than the LP -- but 2 variations on 45s?? That would be odd.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 May 2007 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Actually, Gordon, I now remember Jim uncovering one such example very recently. There are two different commercial 45 pressings of Bloodstone's "Natural High" and their respective run times are 3:59 and 4:04... just a five second difference!

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 May 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Given that different plants pressed the same records in different parts of the US, perhaps the recording engineer who was making the masters got anxious and faded it a tad early to speed up the process. Or, since it is kind of a long fade out, maybe the engineer thought it was done when it really wasn't. Only a guess...
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version