Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: exciters "tell him" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 December 2005 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

can someone tell me the difference between the lp and 45 versions????????........i just listen to my 45 vrs the cdr copy i have and they are identical except for the mono/stereo differences.....

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 December 2005 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Ed, there is a lyrical difference at :50 where the 45 version goes "If you want him to be always by your side" and the LP version goes "If you want him make your heart ring out".

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 September 2010 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, my commercial 45 for this song, confirmed as United Artists 544 with deadwax info of "ZTSP-81874-1B", has a listed time of (2:27) and an actual time of (2:26). I only post this info because all current database CDs that specify the "45 version" of this song (all stereo) run longer, between (2:31) and (2:35). It is probably just a matter of the mono 45 version being faded out slightly earlier than the CD versions.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2010 at 5:32am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

The lyrics difference between the single and album were due to the singer flubbing the "heart ring out" line. It was "fixed" on the single by splicing the "always by your side" line from another part of the song in place of the flub. For whatever reason, it was only fixed on the 45 version, though I believe the stereo version was edited to be like the single some time in the 90s.
The single is also pitched a bit faster.

Edited by Hykker on 16 September 2010 at 5:33am
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 April 2012 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Here's another one that's going to drive the "purists" like us nuts. All database CDs with the comment "45 version" will probably have to be changed to "edit of the LP version in an unsuccessful attempt at creating the 45 version."

First of all, the copy I have has the edit wrong. Instead of dubbing in the entire line "If you want him to be always by your side" which starts at around 1:42 on the 45, they left half of the flubbed line in the stereo edit. The "flub" is on the word "if," where she just doesn't quite hit the note.

Now, I can't say for sure that all CDs have the edit wrong, but it probably doesn't matter anyhow, because...

One of the first things I noticed when listening to the mono 45 was the bells, which are different right from the start of the song. On the opening notes of the 45, the bells ring twice each time the strings play, whereas on the stereo version, they only ring once. It's hard to describe in words, but the pattern of the bells is something like this...

Stereo version:
1 - 2 - 3,4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8,9 - 10 (then vocals start)

Mono 45 version:
1,2 - 3,4 - 5,6,7 - 8,9 - 10,11 - 12,13 - 14,15,16 - 17,18 (then vocals start)

(The numbers above represent the number of times I heard the bells.)

Anyone know where to find this unique mono mix on CD?

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The mono single version is on the import 3 CD set "Pure 60s," (EMI) and it's from tape source. Unfortunately, though, it sounds as if the tape heads weren't aligned very well during mastering, causing it to get "swishy" in several parts of the song and the high end to get muddy.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat, you'll probably want to update the database to show that all stereo edits on CD are an unsuccessful attempt at creating the 45 version. The 45 cannot be created from the stereo mix, and there does not appear to be a stereo remix that matches the 45.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

aaronk wrote:
The mono single version is on the import 3 CD set "Pure 60s," (EMI) and it's from tape source. Unfortunately, though, it sounds as if the tape heads weren't aligned very well during mastering, causing it to get "swishy" in several parts of the song and the high end to get muddy.

Thanks for the tip, Aaron. Even though the sound quality on the import 3-CD set may be less than ideal, it's probably better than not having the correct 45 version on CD at all. Fortunately, this import set is currently in print and very reasonably priced.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 May 2012 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It is pretty reasonably priced, but don't get too, er, excited (no pun intended) about the track. It really doesn't sound that great.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version