Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Go Insane" - Lindsey Buckingham Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 December 2010 at 12:46am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

According to the database, Lindsey Buckingham's "Go Insane" is listed as being on his Go Insane CD under Elektra 60363. However, my copy of this CD was issued under Warner Bros 60363, so I'm not sure if I have a different pressing or if the Elektra listing in the database is a misprint.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 2:22am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Todd, Pat's info is not a misprint. Elektra 60363 was the original 1984
catalog #. In 1992, we received in to the station a promo sampler on
Reprise (PRO-CD-5482), entitled "Lindsey Buckingham - Words & Music
(A Retrospective)," which alternated interview snippets between songs he
was associated with, be it with Buckingham/Nicks, Fleetwood Mac and
some of his better-known solo works. At the time, this was done to
promote his then-new solo album on Reprise, "Out Of The Cradle". As for
your copy on WB, as is sometimes the case after a while, perhaps
ownership of both his solo & duet catalog eventually reverted back to
Lindsey himself, who was then free to negotiate with other labels as he
pleased. It appears that WB must have made him an offer to then license
his non-Fleetwood Mac output, back sometime during the mid to late
90's. It probably just made the most sense for everyone, at this point, to
just have all of Lindsey's major recorded output, be it solo, duo or group,
under the same "corporate umbrella", for any possible future "Fleetwood
Mac-and-related" re-issues.

Edited by jimct on 19 December 2010 at 2:22am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I recently picked up a copy of the sampler that Jim mentions, because
I wanted a copy of "Holiday Road." It's a neat disc, and it's interesting
to hear the commentary. My one disappointment with it is that the
commentary ever-so-slightly overlaps the beginning and/or end of a
few tracks. "Go Insane" is one of those tracks.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

jimct wrote:
Todd, Pat's info is not a misprint. Elektra 60363 was the original 1984 catalog #. In 1992, we received in to the station a promo sampler on Reprise (PRO-CD-5482), entitled "Lindsey Buckingham - Words & Music (A Retrospective)," which alternated interview snippets between songs he was associated with, be it with Buckingham/Nicks, Fleetwood Mac and some of his better-known solo works. At the time, this was done to
promote his then-new solo album on Reprise, "Out Of The Cradle". As for your copy on WB, as is sometimes the case after a while, perhaps ownership of both his solo & duet catalog eventually reverted back to Lindsey himself, who was then free to negotiate with other labels as he pleased. It appears that WB must have made him an offer to then license his non-Fleetwood Mac output, back sometime during the mid to late 90's. It probably just made the most sense for everyone, at this point, to just have all of Lindsey's major recorded output, be it solo, duo or group, under the same "corporate umbrella", for any possible future "Fleetwood
Mac-and-related" re-issues.

Thanks, Jim. I purchased my copy of Lindsey Buckingham's Go Insane CD just in the past few years and kinda figured a new contract or agreement had been made at some point to have all his recorded output moved back to the Warner Bros label. As far as I can tell, the Warner Bros. CD pressing of Go Insane is in every way identical to the original Elektra release.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2013 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

aaronk wrote:
I recently picked up a copy of the sampler that Jim mentions, because

I, too, have the promo-only music/interview CD from 1992 on Reprise PRO-CD-5482, and was also slightly disappointed w/ the interviews overlapping some of the music (and like you, aaronk, I bought it primarily for "Holiday Road"). However, I just wanted to add that there is also a 17-track U.K. promo-only sampler of LB's work that was issued in 2001, titled The Songs of Lindsey Buckingham (EMI Music Publishing Ltd. LB 01). Like the U.S. promo, it features all four of his biggest solo hits - "Trouble" (3:53), "Holiday Road" (2:10), "Go Insane" (3:04), and "Countdown" (3:20) - as well as the original versions of 13 Fleetwood Mac tunes, including U.S. chart hits "Go Your Own Way", "Tusk", "Big Love", and "Family Man" (and of course, "The Chain", among others - a total of eight of the 11 tracks found on PRO-CD-5482 are also on here). There are NO interview segments on this CD, although it does include a detailed booklet w/ a nice essay on LB's career (up to the early 2000's), so it's definitely worth acquiring, too, if you're a fan. Photos/more details here: LB promo CD

BTW, in October of '08, LB actually paid a visit to our small, middle-of-nowhere New England town for a solo gig on his Gift of Screws tour, which I attended. Having seen quite a bit of live concert footage of him on TV from the last 20 years or so, it always sounded to me like LB's singing voice had changed somewhat from his '70s/'80s heyday, so I was a bit hesitant at first. To my surprise, though, he sounded great that night, and it was cool to see him in such a small, intimate setting. (Have never seen Fleetwood Mac live, but have since seen Stevie Nicks solo as well.) He did perform both "Trouble" and "Go Insane", as well as many of his Fleetwood Mac hits included on the two promo samplers. I remember a highlight of the show came about half-way through, when a 40-something father in one of the front rows handed a copy of his 1973 Buckingham Nicks LP to his young son, who then walked to the front of the stage and reached it up to Lindsey. Lindsey smiled, then held the LP up to the audience, shook his head, and said, "Who are those two crazy young kids?" (referring to the pic of him & Stevie on the cover - he had just turned 59 at the time). He then quickly signed it and handed it back to the boy. :-) Tried meeting LB myself after the show, but alas, he made a fast getaway that night...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2015 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

aaronk wrote:
I recently picked up a copy of the sampler that Jim
mentions, because

I once bought (and then quickly sold) that ""Lindsey Buckingham - Words
& Music (A Retrospective) CD," which like Aaron, I also bought for "Holiday
Road". However, I found the sound quality of that particular song to be
awful. This didn't surprise me since the song had never been released on
CD up until that point, and this was a promo sampler (with interviews)
meant for radio or other promotions. I was pretty sure this song didn't
come from the master tape because it sounded so bad. (I'd guessed really
bad clean vinyl software was used, or a terrible tape source, like cassette
or multi-generation tape). As for the UK 17-song Buckingham/Fleetwood
Mac sampler that came later, I'd also assumed they'd gotten the track
from "Retrospective" and never requested that WB transfer the master
tape. (Although, I'd be curious to know what that file sounds like.)

Well, now "Holiday Road" is finally available digitally - from master tape
and not on a promo CD! (both the A-side and B-side of the 7" single). I
search for it periodically, and today I learned it was released digitally only
a month ago. Lossless versions can be bought at Pono and 7Digital, for
those who wouldn't want a lower quality file from iTunes or amazon-mp3.

But here's what's most interesting. Spotify not only has the single available
for listening, they also have the whole "National Lampoon's Vacation"
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack available - also put up digitally in
2015 - and the version of "Holiday Road" is an alternate mix and longer. I
don't have the original soundtrack on LP - so does anyone know - does
this song have both a single and album version? Or is this 2015 digital
release of the soundtrack using an alternate mix? As for the mix on the
"National Lampoon Vacation" digital soundtrack, I would "almost" describe
it as the original mix plus piano added, and it doesn't fade - it comes to
an end, slightly later then where the faded 45 ends. I say "almost" because
the last few seconds of the "soundtrack" version might be a little different,
drum-wise and otherwise. I didn't A-B these. This was just on first listen.
Since this song peaked too low on the top 100 to be included in the
database, I'm wondering if anyone here knows the answers to these
questions. I actually like the longer version with added piano! I'll probably
buy both versions digitally. This other version is mastered hotter - just
comes more alive when you play it after hearing the original version.

UPDATE: I just checked ebay and found "Holiday Road" on 2 VA
compilation CDs: "Back to the 80's Movie Soundtrack Rewind" on the
Planet Music label and "A Hollywood Christmas" on Time-Life. Does
anyone know for sure if either of these use master tape sources? I think
Time-Life might have a shot, but it's hard to say with a song that never
had a proper commercially released version on CD.

Edited by EdisonLite on 22 August 2015 at 1:48pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 August 2015 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

EdisonLite wrote:
I once bought (and then quickly sold) that ""Lindsey Buckingham - Words
& Music (A Retrospective) CD," which like Aaron, I also bought for "Holiday
Road". However, I found the sound quality of that particular song to be
awful. This didn't surprise me since the song had never been released on
CD up until that point, and this was a promo sampler (with interviews)
meant for radio or other promotions. I was pretty sure this song didn't
come from the master tape because it sounded so bad. (I'd guessed really
bad clean vinyl software was used, or a terrible tape source, like cassette
or multi-generation tape).

I just pulled out my Words And Music disc, and the sound quality of "Holiday Road" is perfect. It doesn't sound like a high-generation tape or a vinyl dub. I also compared it to the new digital release, and although the new transfer is EQ'd a bit brighter, it doesn't necessarily sound any better to my ears.

EdisonLite wrote:
But here's what's most interesting. Spotify not only has the single available
for listening, they also have the whole "National Lampoon's Vacation"
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack available - also put up digitally in
2015 - and the version of "Holiday Road" is an alternate mix and longer. I
don't have the original soundtrack on LP - so does anyone know - does
this song have both a single and album version? Or is this 2015 digital
release of the soundtrack using an alternate mix?

This is actually a brand new soundtrack to coincide with the remake of the movie that hit theaters not long ago. If you look at the other songs on the soundtrack, none of them are in the original movie, other than "Holiday Road." You are correct that the song was given a new 2015 remix with some added elements.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 August 2015 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

aaronk wrote:
I just pulled out my Words And Music disc, and the sound quality of "Holiday Road" is perfect. It doesn't sound like a high-generation tape or a vinyl dub.

Out of curiosity, I did the same thing. I didn't hear any vinyl crackle or artifacts on the fade. Sounds pretty good to my ears.

FYI, the Buckingham Nicks track on Words And Music is taken from vinyl.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 August 2015 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, that's true, Ron. The song "Stephanie" is dubbed from vinyl, and it was not digitally cleaned up. The transfer is actually a really nice sounding dub, though. I have no problem with sound quality even on that song.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 August 2015 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Hmmm... I wonder why I remember it sounding so badly. I even sold it. I
guess I compared it to my cleaned vinyl taken from 12" and maybe it
sounded very dull or something. Guess I should've held on to the CD.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 August 2015 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

With the help of Ron G, I was able to figure out what's going on with "Holiday Road" on the "Retrospective" promo CD. He and Aaron are correct - it's from master tape. At the time I received "Retrospective" (right at its release), I only had "Holiday Road" on 12" vinyl. It wasn't extended - just the regular single/album version, but being on 12" the quality was great and perhaps better than the 7", which I never owned. Well, the EQ on the 12" single (which I doubt was adjusted from the 7" single) was so much brighter than the version on "Retrospective". Turns out "Retrospective"'s treble end is lower by about 4 - 4.5 dB in the 8k to 16k range, and that's a big difference! At the time, I only had a primitive analog equalizer to fix EQ's, and I could never get "Retrospective" to match my 12-inch's EQ and had concluded (wrongly) that they must have used a vinyl source and used Sonic Solutions (or something similar) to hide any noticeable signs of vinyl. Back then (early '90s), Sonic Solutions was about the best solution out there, but it seemed to often (or always) take away layers of music, leaving a dull sound, which could never be restored by raising the treble on it. Now, with the digital age, and my better (digital) software for adjusting EQ, I could take "Retrospective" and match that of the 12" single - though, like I said, I had to raise the treble a LOT! 4-4.5 dB is more than I usually ever have to raise it, even for a flat sounding tape.

So now I kinda regret selling the CD, but today I ordered the 2009 CD "Hollywood Christmas" which contains the original mix of the song - because I always prefer to have original physical CDs over digital WAVs. I also plan to buy the 2015 remixed version with added pianos because it's quite good. Kinda reminds me of the Barry Manilow "Oh Julie" situation. For years, the only version available on CD was a Japanese "Here Comes the Night" CD which had everything on the original mix and more (i.e. it wasn't missing anything - it just had lots of extra keyboards and vocals). I actually came to like the remix more! And eventually found the original mix on another Japanese CD years later by accident. (Same CD - "Here Comes the Night" - just a later pressing, where they used the original, unaltered mix.)

So I may end up liking this "Holiday Road" alt mix better.

Anyway, I'll report back on what's the "Hollywood Vacation" CD here once I receive it. I'm hoping a tape source. Maybe it was even take from Retrospective!

Edited by EdisonLite on 23 August 2015 at 7:42pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I received the "Hollywood Christmas" CD yesterday, and this contains a master tape version of "Holiday Road" as well. Today I A-B'd it with the version on "Retrospective", and I found the version on "Retrospective" to be much duller than this. This is EQ'd almost as bright as the vinyl version I have (which is on 12", and I believe, the same EQ as the 7" - the 12" is certainly the same mix and length). The only other difference between the 2 CDs that have this song is that on "Hollywood Christmas", the song's fade lasts about 1 second longer, much like the vinyl version. Based on that, I'd say that Time-Life (who put out "Hollywood Christmas") could not have used "Retrospective" as its source. But both are from tapes and can be EQ'd to be as bright as the original, if you wish.

So, in summary, "Retrospective" was the first promo CD to include "Holiday Road" from a tape source, and "Hollywood Christmas" was (probably) the first commercially released CD to do so. I say that because I haven't got "Back to the 80's Movie Soundtrack Rewind", so I don't know what source was used for that (and offhand, I forget the year of release, though "Hollywood Christmas" was 2009, and from Time-Life, a more reliable source than the label that released "Back the the '80s..."). And now, of course, the original version is available digitally, as well as the 2015 slight remix. I guess its use in continued "Vacation" movies as well as a TV commercial a couple/few years ago has brought back interest in the song, and it's finally getting more releases.

Edited by EdisonLite on 27 August 2015 at 4:13pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for the update, Gordon! I've personally never had any problem with the sound quality of "Retrospective," but I have nothing to compare it against. I agree that a slight boost to the high end does make the "Retrospective" copy a little better. That's an easy fix!

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

EdisonLite:

As another big fan of "Holiday Road", yes, you've summed up the CD history of this song pretty well. :-) I initially discovered the existence of the Hollywood Christmas CD from Time-Life when I revived this thread back in February of 2013, and I posted about the U.K. promo sampler that also has the track. I wanted the Hollywood Christmas CD, too, and when I saw that it was still in print at the time, I put it on the back burner. Over the last month or two, I'd been hearing about the "Vacation" re-boot in theaters and had been seeing that Infiniti QX60 commercial on TV w/ Christie Brinkley, which also features "Holiday Road" playing in the background. So when you brought this thread back yet again last Saturday, that sealed it - I finally ordered the Hollywood Christmas CD from Amazon as well. (Was going to take one for the team, and then you posted late Sunday that you'd ordered it as well, lol.) My copy still has yet to arrive (didn't use Amazon Prime for shipping), but hey, I also went ahead and ordered the new Steppenwolf collection, as well as a couple others I'd been wanting, so they should all be here first thing next week...

Anyway, if "Holiday Road" had been a top 40 hit (as I think we all agree it deserved to be), the Hollywood Christmas CD from Time-Life w/ the original (2:11) 45/LP version, and the new Vacation soundtrack w/ the (2:21) remix would be the only two entries in Pat's on-line db. I can tell just from looking at the photos and track listings that that 2-CD Back to the 80's Movie Soundtrack Rewind that you found on eBay is actually a gray-area collection that somebody threw together, as is this so-called "limited 10th anniversary edition" of the Christmas Vacation soundtrack, which you may have missed here. So by going w/ the Time-Life CD, you picked what's still the only legit source for the original hit recording (aside from the two LB promos, that is). I've had the original 1983 National Lampoon's Vacation soundtrack on cassette since the '80s, and was always surprised that it's never been re-issued on CD, even as an import (AFAIK)! LB definitely needs a "Best of..." or "Greatest Hits" issued - although it wasn't a single, I always liked "Time Bomb Town" from the original 1985 Back to the Future soundtrack as well... :-)

EdisonLite wrote:
...I always prefer to have original physical CDs over digital WAVs.

I hear ya - call me "old school", but I'm still the same way...

EdisonLite wrote:
Kinda reminds me of the Barry Manilow "Oh Julie" situation. For years, the only version available on CD was a Japanese "Here Comes the Night" CD which had everything on the original mix and more (i.e. it wasn't missing anything - it just had lots of extra keyboards and vocals). I actually came to like the remix more! And eventually found the original mix on another Japanese CD years later by accident. (Same CD - "Here Comes the Night" - just a later pressing, where they used the original, unaltered mix.)

I still remember your original posts here from years ago on the subject, and as a result, have periodically looked for those Japanese versions of Here Comes the Night, although I'd prefer to obtain the later pressing w/ the original mix of "Oh Julie" (still haven't ever heard the remix). Alas, when they do turn up, both versions still seem to fetch at least $50-$75, and I just can't justify the price - but hope to find one on the cheap someday, so thanks for posting that info!
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version