Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Gold & Platinum Vol. 4 (Realm 7826, 1988) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 November 2010 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

This is probably not worthy of its own thread, but...

I found a very old commercially-available compilation called The Heart Of Soul (Columbia CKX 44382, 1988). Nine tracks, all pop hits.

The track listing looked familiar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I noticed that all nine tracks are on Realm's Gold And Platinum Vol. 4 (Realm 1CD 7826, 1988). Tracks 11-19 on G&P correspond to tracks 1-9 on The Heart Of Soul, in order. I checked Pat's book, and it looks like tracks 1-10 of G&P are on a compilation I don't have called The Heart Of Rock.

In order to cram 19 tracks on G&P, they had to fade early on a few tracks and edit some other(s). It appears that G&P used The Heart Of Soul as its digital source for everything, with some modifications as follows:

11. Michael Jackson With Siedah Garrett / I Just Can't Stop Loving You (1.2 dB quieter than The Heart Of Soul; includes spoken intro)
12. Gregory Abbott / Shake You Down (1.2 quieter)
13. Jets / You Got It All (1.2 dB quieter than The Heart Of Soul until early fade starting at 3:27; The Heart Of Soul has proper length)
14. Kenny G / Don't Make Me Wait For Love (1.2 dB quieter than The Heart Of Soul until early fade starting at 3:29; The Heart Of Soul has proper length)
15. Bruce Willis / Respect Yourself (1.2 dB quieter; missing opening drum beat on both discs)
16. Robert Cray Band / Smoking Gun (digitally identical)
17. Lisa Lisa And Cult Jam / Lost In Emotion (0.4 dB louder than The Heart Of Soul until an edit at 3:21 that removes 80 beats of the song; The Heart Of Soul is unedited)
18. Gloria Estefan And Miami Sound Machine / Rhythm Is Gonna Get You (0.4 dB louder than The Heart Of Soul)
19. Beastie Boys / (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party) (1 dB louder than The Heart Of Soul; includes "Yeah!")

So the source of the early fades and edit(s) is Gold & Platinum Vol. 4. There are 6 G&P volumes total, and the early volumes include several early fades, unfortunately. Too bad, actually; the G&P's were the first pop compilations I ever saw on CD.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 20 November 2010 at 10:29pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 November 2010 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

crapfromthepast wrote:
14. Kenny G / Don't Make Me Wait For Love (1.2 dB quieter than The Heart Of Soul until early fade starting at 3:29; The Heart Of Soul has proper length)

The version on my copy of G&P V4 sounds different than the version I remember on the radio. The vocal take sounds different.
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 November 2010 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The 1996 edition of Pat's book gives a "neither 45 or LP" designation.

I seem to remember some Kenny G song had two versions with two different vocalists. Was that this song? I don't remember what I heard on the radio back then...
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version