Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Taylor Swift Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 November 2010 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I know this is off topic, but as Aaron has brought up this kind of issue before, I wanted to expand on it but I can't find Aaron's original post (which was about all the 'Glee' debuts).

This week, Taylor Swift has TEN SONGS THAT DEBUTED ON THE HOT 100, totalling 11 charters. Is this a record for a solo act?

I find Billboard's "anything goes" policy toward the Hot 100 rather crazy and so opposite of the days when they wouldn't allow the most played song of the year ("Don't Speak" by No Doubt) to even peak at #100 for 1 week on their chart.

Years from now, how is anyone supposed to know which Taylor Swift songs [from this album] are the singles, and what the order of the single releases was, etc.? And what about all the songs on last week's chart that were moving up and needlessly dropped down the chart this week, by as much as 10 positions, because Taylor has a successful ALBUM. I'm happy for Taylor, I like Taylor, but this is all so crazy. With their more recent "anything goes" chart, now havoc rules.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2010 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I think it's time Billboard applies its recurrent rule to ALL songs on the Hot 100: If it's not being promoted at radio, it doesn't chart. Perhaps even if it's not getting a certain amount of airplay, it doesn't chart, or at least has its sales points curtailed.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2010 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

EdisonLite wrote:
This week, Taylor Swift has TEN SONGS THAT DEBUTED ON THE HOT 100, totalling 11 charters. Is this a record for a solo act?

Not quite a record. David Cook had 11 debuts on the Hot 100 dated June 7, 2008 (after his "American Idol" victory).
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version