Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Bad Girl by Neil Sedaka Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 October 2010 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Here is a surprising discovery I made today. While reviewing a new Neil Sedaka cd release titled "Little Devil And His Other Hits"/"The Many Sides Of Neil Sedaka" I discovered a time discrepency between the version of "Bad Girl" on this cd and all other domestic cd's released to date that contain this song. When I went to research why there was a discrepency I was shocked to find out that in all previous cd appearances of "Bad Girl", Neil drops the F bomb at 1:08 which you just wouldn't expect to find on a Neil Sedaka song in 1963 when this song charted. Does anyone know if this version ever appeared on vinyl with the F bomb?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

mstgator
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 October 2010 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote mstgator

It sounds like he sings "put her down" on my copy of The Very Best of Neil Sedaka, although I had to listen closely (it does resemble the F bomb).
Back to Top View mstgator's Profile Search for other posts by mstgator

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 October 2010 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I haven't checked but I think you could download both versions from Itunes and if you do you will hear what I am talking about.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

mstgator
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 October 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote mstgator

Just downloaded "Bad Girl" from Platinum and Gold Collection and Neil Sedaka Sings The Hits (the only two albums on iTunes other than The Very Best of that feature that song), and I'm still hearing "If you're gonna put her down, here's where our friendship ends."

Also, my bank account is $1.98 lighter. :)
Back to Top View mstgator's Profile Search for other posts by mstgator

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 October 2010 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

I love audio manipulation programs.... i checked it out in a couple of copies of the song I found, he most definitely sings "put her down". Seems he recorded a second tune titled Bad Girl that remained unreleased until a Bear Family box set...have to say I prefer it over the hit by the same title, though.

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 October 2010 at 4:14am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Sounds like "put her down" to me.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 October 2010 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

mstgator wrote:
I'm still hearing "If you're gonna put her down, here's where our friendship ends."
I hear the exact same line as above (on my copy of "The Very Best of Neil Sedaka" RCA release).

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 October 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

So I'm not quite clear - Pat, on your version, are you hearing the "f" word where other people are hearing the word "put"?

Also, this reminds me of the Spinners situation on "One of a Kind". The Spinners always struck me as a classy act and I was surprised when the whole "censored" version issue appeared here. The line in question was "Makes you want to f_ _ _ her", and the record label subsequently (and quickly) issued an edited version specifically designed to remove this line. This almost seems like an admission of guilt, but when the song came up on my iPod last week (unedited), I had the thought, and I wonder if anyone here can answer this ...

Did the Spinners ever address this in an interview or statement or on the radio or anywhere public and say what it is they claim to say there?

I think some of us thought it might be "Makes you want to hug her" but it really sounds more like it starts with an "f" than an "h" and I can't see it being "hug". So I wonder if the Spinners ever addressed this matter.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version