Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "I’d Lie for You..." - Meat Loaf Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 December 2005 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

Got one more for ya... I visited I-Tunes and downloaded Meat Loaf's "I'd Lie for You (and That's the Truth)" from his Welcome to the Neighborhood CD (MCA 11341) so I could directly compare the song to my commercial single copy. I discovered a couple of things. The album track has crickets chirping during the intro while the commercial single does not. Now, since I don't have the entire Welcome to the Neighborhood CD, I don't know if the chirping crickets are a carryover from the previous track on the CD or if the crickets are unique to the album track itself. From my estimation, it appears the tracks on the Neighborhood disc CD do segue together so I'm guessing the crickets probably are a carryover from the previous track. If this is indeed the case, then technically the single and album are the same version and no distinction really needs to be made here.

I tried to pinpoint exactly where "I'd Lie for You" officially fades in and out on the Neighborhood CD (I didn't include the portions of the other songs that segue into and out of the track) and I come up with a run time closer to 6:33 (whereas the database shows a time of 6:40). I should also point out that the song's final note runs several seconds longer on my commercial single than on the album. Therefore, I've concluded that the "I'd Lie for You" single runs 6:36, while the album runs approximately 6:33. (To complicate things further, I have what is called the "LP version" on the "I'd Lie for You" promo CD single and it is identical to my commercial single copy. But since this complete, "segue-free" version wasn't issued on the Neighborhood disc, it's probably best we just stick with the run time on the actual album.)

Now, this brings me to another question... I notice Meat Loaf's Very Best of CD on Epic 69335 is listed with a run time of 6:27 in the database. Is this an edit, a different mix, or an early fade of the of the single and album lengths?

This will likely be my last post before December 25, so I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!   

Edited by Todd Ireland on 23 December 2005 at 11:58am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 December 2005 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

On the cd "Welcome to The Neighborhood" the sound effects from track 1 carry over into track 2 which is the song "I'd Lie For You" with crickets on the last few seconds of track 1 and also continuing onto the first few seconds of track 2. MCA indexed the track starting and ending times and the song "I'd Lie For You" runs 6:40 so I have to call the LP length 6:40.

On the Very Best Of cd, "I'd Lie for You" is the orignal track but sound effects leading into the song are remixed to eliminate the crickets. The sound effects at the end of the song on the orignal MCA release continue for quite a while before the track index changes while the track index on the "Very Best Of" cd change almost immediately after the vocal ends and thus we get a shorter running time. So technically the "Very Best Of" does not have the 45 or LP version included.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 May 2010 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial cassingle issued as mca 55134 does not state a version but lists a 6:37 run time which matches the lp version.....i have a promo cd single issued as mca5p-3548 which contains the below tracks

1-true detective edit (4:50)
2-sweet movie edit (4:21)
3-hot car girl edit (4:50)
4-undercover edit (4:21)
5-album version (6:37)

question is....which of these edits got most airplay during the songs chart run in late 1995....

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 May 2010 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

RPM lists the "True Detective Edit" in their database (which I have), while TM Studios lists the "Sweet Movie Edit" and the "LP Version" in their database.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2010 at 4:58am | IP Logged Quote jimct

In true Meat Loaf tradition of making a big production out of everything, we received in three different promo CD singles to the station for this song in 1995. Some of the same tracks do appear on more than one of them. Although Ed has already provided some details for the first one we got in (FYI, we played the "True Detective Edit" on-air), there are listed/actual timing differences for it, so I'll just go ahead and include all the details for all three of the promos here:

-Meat Loaf-"I'd Lie For You (And That's The Truth)" (MCA5P-3548)
1-True Detective Edit (listed & actual 4:50)
2-Sweet Movie Edit (listed 4:21; actual 4:19)
3-Hot Car Girl Edit (listed 4:50; actual 4:51)
4-Undercover Edit (listed & actual 4:21)
5-Album Version (listed 6:37; actual 6:36)

-Meat Loaf-"I'd Lie For You (And That's The Truth)" (MCA5P-3555)
1-Hot Car Girl Edit (listed 4:50; actual 4:51)
2-Undercover Edit (listed & actual 4:21)
3-Goldfinger Edit (listed & actual 4:51)
4-Jezebel Edit (listed 4:21; actual 4:22)
5-Album Version (listed 6:37; actual 6:36)

-Meat Loaf-"I'd Lie For You (And That's The Truth)" (MCA5P-3556)
1-Rock Radio/Fountain Head (listed 6:37; actual 6:35)
2-It's A Wonderful Life (listed 5:33; actual 5:32)
3-True Detective Edit (listed & actual 4:50)
4-Sweet Movie Edit (listed 4:21; actual 4:20)   
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I posted some in-dept analysis regarding the Meat Loaf "I'd Lie for You (and That's the Truth)" MCA MCA5P-3548 promo CD single on the "DJ edit" additions... thread years ago and thought it would be useful to re-post here:

MEAT LOAF - I'D LIE FOR YOU (AND THAT'S THE TRUTH) (MCA MCA5P-3548)
1) True Detective Edit - 4:50
2) Sweet Movie Edit - 4:19
3) Hot Car Girl Edit - 4:51
4) Undercover Edit - 4:21
5) Album Version - 6:37

Comments: Pay close attention because this can get confusing.... The first four tracks on this promo CD are all edits of the LP version. The True Detective Edit and the Hot Car Girl Edit are nearly identical, as are the Sweet Movie Edit and the Undercover Edit. The only differences between the True Detective Edit and the Hot Car Girl Edit are the latter edit has slightly brighter EQ during the song's softer passages and a slightly longer fade than the former. The same holds true for the Sweet Movie Edit and The Undercover Edit as the latter edit has slightly brighter EQ during the song's softer passages and a slightly longer fade than the former. Other than the one to two seconds discrepency in run times, it would be practically impossible to distinguish the difference between these two sets of edits without syncing them up and doing a real time A-B comparison...

My overall conclusion is that tracks 1 and 3 and tracks 2 and 4 are, respectively, pretty much identical.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 20 May 2010 at 7:00am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Good info, Todd! I'm glad you brought that up from the old post. In keeping with the trend, I wonder if these edits are all the same:

True Detective / Hot Car Girl / Goldfinger edits (all 4:50-4:51)

Sweet Movie / Undercover / Jezebel edits (all between 4:19 and 4:22)

Album / Rock Radio (all 6:35-6:36)
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Given the trend that was established on the MCA5P-3548 promo CD single, Aaron, I'm going to say they probably are all the same. The differences between these edits are so minute that they definitely qualify for the "why bother?" category.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version