Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Bette Midler - "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 September 2010 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Noticed the distinction between LP version and 45 version in the book, so listened to both on the Divine Miss M album and Experience The Divine GH CD.

(edited earlier post, twice)

The two are completely different recordings. It sounds like she rerecorded the track from scratch (for the 45? for the 1993 GH disc?), although the liner notes just note it as being from The Divine Miss M. The new recording is really polished and has a modern-sounding mix, but lacks the charm of the Divine version, which deliberately sounds like it was recorded in the '40s. (Mono, too!)

I have a narrow-stereo version of the Divine mix on an EMI Australian compilation - was the 45 in mono or stereo?

Edited by crapfromthepast on 10 September 2010 at 7:01pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 September 2010 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

The 45 version got all the Top 40 airplay as a current, Ron.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 September 2010 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

AM stations that I heard at the time played the mono DJ side which had shoe "taps" added to the single version. FM stations played the stereo 45 version. Stock copies were all stereo. As far as I know the mono DJ mix has never been issued anywhere else.   

Edited by Bill Cahill on 12 September 2010 at 11:36am
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

cherbette
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 July 2011 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote cherbette

Bill Cahill wrote:
AM stations that I heard at the time played the mono DJ side which had shoe "taps" added to the single version. FM stations played the stereo 45 version. Stock copies were all stereo. As far as I know the mono DJ mix has never been issued anywhere else.   

To my knowledge, the "hand claps" version of "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" was only ever released on the Canadian 45 and was in Stereo. I'm guessing there may have been a Stereo/Mono promo.
Back to Top View cherbette's Profile Search for other posts by cherbette

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 July 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

My promo copy has the claps/taps (whatever they are) only on the mono side, stereo side does not have them. Stock copies which were stereo didn't have them either as far as I know.

I don't know of a stereo stock or stereo DJ with the claps/taps.

Also the mono DJ side has a noticable hum.

Edited by Bill Cahill on 04 July 2011 at 5:44pm

cherbette
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 August 2011 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote cherbette

I actually have the Canadian 45 for Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy with the hand claps in Stereo...it is a stock copy

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 August 2011 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I picked up a Canadian stock copy. I listened to it carefully and ran it through some software to determine if is actually in stereo or not because I don't hear any real separation. At least on the copy I have, the label indicates stereo with the "ST" prefix on the label and on the run off groove says ST-A-26365-1E. But the only stereo effect I hear is more likely groove wear or a slight bass/treble electronic stereo effect, or they just didn't center the mono source exactly in the center, it's a little to the left. I phase reversed it and switched the result in mono to hear if there was any evidence of real stereo separation but I don't hear it. The Canadian single also has the same hum as the mono DJ 45. So I don't believe the Canadian copy is in real stereo, unless there is another mix. It's the American DJ Mono 45 mix.

cherbette
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 January 2012 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote cherbette

I just talked to a Midler guru buddy of mine and he said that although some pressings stated they were Stereo, that all versions of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy are in MONO. The LP version, US promo/commercial 45, Canadian hand-claps 45...all mono. The only time a true "Stereo" version of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy has been issued was on the Quad LP & reel of Divine Miss M.

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 January 2012 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Stereo side of the promo copy is definitely stereo, there are two sets of vocals which are separated. I believe that matches the US commercial 45.

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 January 2012 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

cherbette wrote:
I just talked to a Midler guru buddy of mine and he said that although some pressings stated they were Stereo, that all versions of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy are in MONO. The LP version, US promo/commercial 45, Canadian hand-claps 45...all mono. The only time a true "Stereo" version of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy has been issued was on the Quad LP & reel of Divine Miss M.

Guru is mistaken.....the stock 45 is narrow stereo with split vocals. Give him some headphones so he can hear it properly.

GM

Edited by Gary Mack on 28 January 2012 at 4:48pm
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2016 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

There is a deluxe two disc Rhino CD that is slated to be released in Oct. which includes the original Divine Miss M album plus bonus tracks. One of those bonus tracks is labeled single version for this song. Will it be in mono or stereo plus will it truly be the single version? Too early to answer but stay tuned for more.

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 October 2016 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

(Since there are two different threads on this one:)

The "single version" (disc 2, track 2) on the 2016 Rhino 2-CD Divine Miss M Deluxe matches the stereo US commercial 45/stereo DJ 45 version. Actual time is 2:16. So the US mono DJ 45 version with the handclaps remains AWOL on CD.

The mono track 10 on disc 1 is the LP version. Actual length is 2:23.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version