Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: More "Compete Singles" sets coming! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 August 2010 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Collector's Choice is continuing their "Complete Singles" series, this time focusing on female vocalists:

Petula Clark: The Complete Warner Bros. Singles
Shelby Flint: The Complete Valiant Singles
Connie Stevens: The Complete Warner Bros. Singles
Joanie Sommers: The Complete Warner Bros. Singles

No track listings yet, but they are all listed on the CC website, if you do a search. I'm hoping they will continue the policy of using original single mixes for these.

Edited by Brian W. on 01 August 2010 at 1:28pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 5:18am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

No offense to fans of these artists, but with the exception of Petula Clark (who could probably use a good anthology of her hits), these were all essentially one-hit wonders. I can't imagine there's going to be enough demand for these sets to even cover production costs.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 5:49am | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

I welcome Petula Clark, but i'm wondering who's idea was
behind choosing the other three.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I have to admit I thought, "Who is Shelby Flint?" Had to look her up. But I will probably buy the other three.

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

It was likely a mass licensing deal "Okay we'll charge you $500,000 to do Petula Clark but we'll only charge you $500 for these other artists"......as it's all being licensed from the same company...

Shelby Flint had some nice stuff....actually all of these sets will be really good.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 August 2010 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Collector's Choice website wrote:
Petula Clark: The Complete Warner Bros. Singles

This double-CD set offers the last word on her peak hit-making period, 1964-1971, the years her recordings for the Vogue label in France were issued here in the States by Warner Bros. These 46 songs represent the A and B-sides of every single released by Warner Bros., and appear here in their original single mixes, 40 of them in mono, the last six in stereo.

Both a hits anthology and a collectors' dream—many of these single mixes have been almost impossible to find—'The Complete Warner Bros. Singles' takes its place as a premier release on our 'Collectors' Choice Music' label!

Includes 'Downtown; You'd Better Love Me; I Know a Place; Jack and John; You'd Better Come Home; Heart; Round Every Corner; Two Rivers; My Love; Where Am I Going; A Sign of the Times; Time for Love; I Couldn't Live Without Your Love; Your Way of Love; Who Am I; Love Is a Long Journey; Color My World; Take Me Home Again; This Is My Song; High; Don't Sleep in the Subway; Here Comes the Morning; Imagine' (promo single); 'The Cat in the Window (The Bird in the Sky); Fancy Dancing Man; The Other Man's Grass Is Always Greener; At the Crossroads; Kiss Me Goodbye; I've Got Love Going for Me; Don't Give Up; Everytime I See a Rainbow; American Boys; Look to the Sky; Happy Heart; Love Is the Only Thing; The Windmills of Your Mind' (promo single); 'Look at Mine; You and I; No One Better Than You; Things Bright and Beautiful; The Song Is Love; Beautiful Sounds; The Song of My Life; Couldn't Sleep; I Don't Know How to Love Him/Superstar', and 'Maybe'.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 August 2010 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Collector's Choice website wrote:
Connie Stevens: The Complete Warner Bros. Singles

This is the first-ever domestic compilation of her work, but it's far more than that—a lot of these tracks have never been on CD, and the hits are here in their original single mixes! Connie has contributed some beautiful photos from her private collection, too.

Includes her duet with Edd Byrnes, 'Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)', plus 'Apollo; Why Do I Cry for Joey; Sixteen Reasons; Little Sister; Too Young to Go Steady; A Little Kiss Is a Kiss Is a Kiss; Make Believe Lover; And This Is Mine; If You Don't, Somebody Else Will; Greenwood Tree; Man Soil Such So Schwell Nicht Liberileba; La La Lu; Why'd You Want to Make Me Cry; Just One Kiss; Mr. Songwriter; I Couldn't Say No; Hey, Good Lookin'; Nobody's Lonesome for Me; Little Miss Understood; There Goes Your Guy; A Girl Never Knows; They're Jealous of Me; Now That You've Gone; Lost in Wonderland; In the Deep of Night; Something Beautiful; Don't You Want to Love Me; In My Room; All of My Life; That's All I Want from You; How Bitter the Taste of Love; Most of All; It'll Never Happen Again', and 'What Will I Tell Him'. 35 tracks!

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 August 2010 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Since they're raiding the warner vaults, I hope they'll do a Trini Lopez singles collection....if you include the singles issued in other countries but within the US numbering system you may need to make it a 3 cd set but it would be one I'd be first in line to buy....so many of his later 60's singles are amazing but weren't even included on albums at the time.

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 August 2010 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

The Complete Columbia Singles of Simon and Garfunkel is one I would nail down.
Many have said that one is a pipe dream.
Something about Paul not wanting to do a mono singles collection.
Funny how the mono mix of "Fakin' It" snuck on their greatest hits disc a few years ago.

jono
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2010 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote jono

Anyone know what's happened to the Petula Clark Complete Warner Singles cd? Collector's Choice has taken it off their website, it appears, after they'd stated the release has been "delayed - more details to follow" earlier in the week.

I see they list the other 3 Singles Collections as "in stock".

Jon O.
Back to Top View jono's Profile Search for other posts by jono

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2010 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I don't know... I noticed yesterday, too, that when you click on the link on the cc site, it says "item not found." Hope it hasn't been canceled.

jono
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2010 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote jono

I, too, hope it's just been delayed a bit and not cancelled. (For what it's worth, Petula's singles collection is the one I was looking most forward to this time around, so I think I'll hold off on the other 3 for now.)

Thanks for replying, Brian.

Jon O.

Edited by jono on 30 September 2010 at 10:42am

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2010 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

jono wrote:
after they'd stated the release has been "delayed - more details to follow" earlier in the week.

Where did they state this, Jon? Can you give me a link?

jono
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2010 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote jono

Brian -

That link is gone now and was probably only up briefly on Monday or Tuesday (I can't recall which). It was obtained by clicking on the details of the cd, which now states "error" or "Not found". At the time, it's what showed up in bold lettering after the cd description under the cover art.

I guess I was lucky to notice it at the time.

Jon O.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 October 2010 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I found the cached page. The note about it being delayed and "update to follow" is on there. Wonder what happened?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uH2zwRn vWSsJ:www.ccmusic.com/item.cfm%3Fitemid%3DCCM21572+617742215 724&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Edited by Brian W. on 01 October 2010 at 12:57pm

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 October 2010 at 12:55am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

The website The Second Disc is reporting that the Petula Clark 2-disc "Complete Warner Singles" has been CANCELED... by Petula Clark and her management! This after it had already been promoted on the COVER of the Collector's Choice magazine. I hope they sue.

http://theseconddisc.com/2010/10/07/update-petula-clarks-com plete-singles-cancelled/

Edited by Brian W. on 09 October 2010 at 12:55am

jono
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2010 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote jono

ARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 December 2010 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Has anyone come across any additional information as to why the Petula Clark Complete Warner Singles set was canceled? After attempting to pre-order a copy from the Collector's Choice website months ago, I officially got an e-mail from the company on October 21:

Thank you for your recent order. Unfortunately, the item(s) listed below have been discontinued by the manufacturer and are no longer available at this time. We apologize for your disappointment.

From what I can tell, it sounds like the production of this CD set was completed, packaged, and ready for retail sale. I can't understand why it was canceled. I was really looking forward to this one! :-(
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 December 2010 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Collector's Choice is notoriously (and foolishly, I think) tight-lipped about these things. Actually, NONE of the latest batch of "Complete Singles" releases has come out yet, though they were due for release in late September. Now, the other three (Connie Stevens, Joanie Somers, and Shelby Flint) say their release has "been delayed - more details to follow." Which is what the Petula Clark listing said before they announced it wasn't coming out at all.

Infinity Entertainment Group, owner of Collectors Choice/Deep Discount/Critics Choice, was bought out in early November by a distribution company called Super D, and the speculation is that these delayed/canceled CD sets have something to do with that. According to this article, Infinity was in a "dire situation," including debt of $11,000,000:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/wholesaler-275542-video-d vd.html

Edited by Brian W. on 05 December 2010 at 10:52pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 December 2010 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I heard from a music industry source that the reason the Petula Clark CD didn't come out is because Petula stopped it from coming out. I don't know why she was so opposed to its release, but apparently she had the ability to stop its release.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version