Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Nino Tempo & April Stevens - Whispering Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 July 2010 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

Hi there.

I'm new to the chat board, and am hoping that there's someone who can answer a nagging question. It seems that every CD release of Whispering by Nino Tempo & April Stevens has strange glitches during the spoken bridge. The song seems to speed up in tempo and then sounds like it skips several times. Is the song this way on the original vinyl? Are there any CDs without this problem? Thanks for your help!

Dave
Back to Top View Ringmaster_D's Profile Search for other posts by Ringmaster_D

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Welcome to the board, Dave! I'm sure someone will step up and answer this one, although I can't be of much help.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 5:02am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Dave, I share Aaron's sentiments in welcoming you to the Board. I just pulled my copy of the duo's "Best Of" CD on Varese Vintage for you, and popped on "Whispering". It is definitely in mono, and, to my ears, has by far the worst quality sound of any of their Top 40 hits. After listening to it, I even think there is a possibilty that Varese may have used a vinyl source for this collection. This strikes me as a bit odd, as they were signed to a major label (Atco, at this time.) But April & Nino were both already seasoned music biz vets, even by '63. Additionally, Tempo could be considered to have been a bit of a headstrong maverick, given the era. He was always way-above-average in offering up his opinions to label execs, and was quite involved in almost every aspect of he & his sister's recordings - probably viewing label execs' input as simply a "necessary evil" to getting their songs out. Good for him, I say. I always thought he was a bit ahead of his time in this regard, and seemed to have more of the mentality that they were "independent music contractors", as opposed to the many acts that would simply sing/do 100% of what they were told to by their labels. What was also helping Tempo at the time was the leverage of him (and everybody else) knowing that Phil Spector wanted to sign he & April to his label, Philles. So, for this all-important follow-up to their #1 hit "Deep Purple", Tempo (with label CEO Ahmet Ertegun's blessing this time, no doubt - especially after Ertegun thought that the "Deep Purple" track was awful, and that the 45's flip side was gonna be the hit. Tempo strongly disagreed, and told Ertegun he wanted out of their Atco deal immediately unless "Deep..." was included as one side of their new 45. Ertegun relented, and Tempo was soon vindicated for his belief in the song) may have simply gone to his personal "storehouse" of he & April's recordings, looking for another standard they'd updated (which may explain the song's iffy audio quality - perhaps it was simply a demo version they'd done that was deemed "good enough to go with" in the interests of time - not an uncommon practice during 1963/64.) However, Dave, I certainly didn't hear any actual skips on my CD version. I also have the 45 filed away, and I will give it a listen next time I'm in my "1964 original 45 boxes" neighborhood (unless another kind soul can beat me to it!)   :)

Edited by jimct on 30 July 2010 at 5:04am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 5:40am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

My copy of the 45 isn't the cleanest copy in the world so I can't really comment on audio quality, but there don't appear to be any skips in the spoken portion.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

There aren't any skips or other problems with the original Atco 45 with the exception of the poor sound quality! I agree that it sounds like a disc dub of a demo. I have their first Atco album, but not the second which contains Whispering.

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

Thanks everyone. I listened again to my copy of "Sweet & Lovely: The Best Of" and I think what I'm hearing is the combination of a vinyl dub (noticable pops at 1:28, 1:29, 1:32 for example) and a really bad original piano track. There are very noticeable tempo changes at 1:23 and 1:30. I think I'm going with your theory that this was a demo that was rush-released to capitalize of the success of "Deep Purple."
Back to Top View Ringmaster_D's Profile Search for other posts by Ringmaster_D

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

How does the song sound on the stereo LP? I do hear the crackling in my mp3 (which I can't recall where it was sourced from at the moment, it also seems to cut the song off before the full fade out). It is wide stereo so I don't think it was a demo recording....those would've been done direct to mono.

I was told a few years ago that the session tapes for Deep Purple and Whispering were located and that Deep Purple was remixed but that the tape for Whispering was badly damaged and couldn't be salvaged, which struck me as odd but I never thought anything of it until now...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version