Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: tears for fears "shout" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 26 July 2010 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 of the tears for fears song "shout" issued as mercury 880294 does not state a version but does list a run time of 3:59 but actually runs 4:01......if you fade the 4:04 versions in the db for 0:03 from 3:58 to 4:01 you'll effectively re-create the true 45 version.....

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 April 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Thought I would document some of my findings here, just for posterity.

First, the LP version. I seem to remember the LP version getting the bulk of the airplay in the New York City area (Z100, WPLJ), even at over 6-1/2 minutes.

The '80s-era pressing of Songs From The Big Chair (the so-called "atomic" design) sounds pretty good, but it has its left and right channels reversed.
Priority's Rock Of The '80s Vol. 4 (1993) uses the same analog transfer as the "atomic" Big Chair, but is way too loud and clips severely. Time-Life's Modern Rock Vol. 5 Dance (1999) is digitally exactly 3.5 dB quieter than the Priority disc. Both have their left and right channels reversed. Avoid all three for this song.

Instead, go with Fontana's Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92) (1992), which is the first (and probably the best-sounding) greatest hits collection for TFF.

This is differently-EQ'd digital clone of the "atomic" Big Chair version, but with its left and right channels corrected. It sounds great. There's a digitally identical clone on Sony Germany's 2-CD Pop And Wave Vol. 2 (1992), which also sounds great.

I have two early fades of the LP version, on PolyGram's Hits On CD Vol. 3 (1985) and EMI's 2-CD Now 1984 (1993), both of which are European imports. The fades are different lengths, both running in the neighborhood of 5:54. Leads me to think that the European 45 of "Shout" was just an early fade of the LP version - any confirmations?

The US 45 was a real edit of the LP version, and actually a surprisingly good edit that captured the essence of a 6-1/2-minute opus in a shade over 4 minutes.

Three different masterings of the 45 edit appeared in 1994. The 50-CD promo set The A List Disc 28 (1994) took it from vinyl. Steve Hoffman mastered it on Razor & Tie's 2-CD Awesome '80s (1994) with its dynamic range intact, but it seems that it's taken from a higher-generation tape than all the other CDs I checked.

The best bet for the 45 version is Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1985 (1994), even though it clips quite a bit near the end of the song. I hear better definition to all the little percussion effects, more full bass, and a overall less "tinny" sound than on Awesome '80s.

There is a digital clone of the Billboard CD on Universal's More Pure '80s (2000, 0.997 dB quieter), a differently-EQ'd digital clone on Realm's 3-CD Greatest Hits Of The '80s Vol. 3 (2002) and a non-digital-clone that uses the same analog transfer on Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 1 The Rockin' Eighties (1994). All sound fine. Rhino's Like Omigod set (2002) sounds pretty similar to the Billboard disc.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 24 April 2012 at 2:09pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Bwci Bo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 November 2014 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote Bwci Bo

It's worth noting here that the US 45 version of "Shout" (running 4:04) is sourced from vinyl on the following CD.

Songs From The Big Chair (Deluxe Edition remastered) Mercury 602537949922

Turntable rumble and surface noise are very evident on the intro and outro. There's some fine print in the CD booklet which states that vinyl sources were used for two tracks on this CD set (the other being the short version of "The Way You Are") due to the master tapes being unavailable. Oddly enough, the US 45 version of "Shout" can easily be sourced on numerous other CDs.

While I'm here, can anyone shed any light on the so-called Radio Version of "Head Over Heels" that also appears on this CD set? I'm guessing it's an un-remixed version of the 45. There are some slight mix differences compared to the 45 version, but here it sounds like it's either very narrow stereo or possibly even mono? Where does this version originate from?
Back to Top View Bwci Bo's Profile Search for other posts by Bwci Bo

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2022 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

As noted in a thread about the 1998 MFSL CD of Songs from the Big Chair, the channel reversal on the Songs from the Big Chair '80s CD release is actually what the producer intended, with the opening cowbell panning left to right. It was the vinyl releases that got it wrong, even in the UK. Of course, with our regard for the 45s being the canonical versions, that means referring to the right-to-left panning as "correct".

The UK 45 is an early fade of the album version. You can reconstruct it from the Songs from the Big Chair '80s CD release by applying a linear-to-smooth fade from the first "shout, shout" chorus lyric at 5:38 until the end of the next "shout, shout" just before the 6:00 mark. Peaks will be at -40 dB at 5:55, and the last "shout" at the end will be almost completely inaudible. The 5:56 version on World of Dance is quite close, but actually ends the fade 3 seconds too early to be a perfect match for the UK 45.

The German & Japanese single version was released as "Shout (Edit)" on disc 2 of the 2006 reissue of Songs from the Big Chair. This is an early fade running 4:49.

My stock US 45 runs 4:01.8, and the fade ends kind of abruptly. There's tape print-through in the left channel of the intro, allowing you to faintly preview the cowbell.

The transfer on all the CDs I checked (Like Omigod!, 80s Music Explosion, Superstars of the 80s, Sounds of the Eighties: The Rockin' Eighties, and Billboard Top Hits 1985) runs 0.58% too slow, and the fade needs to end ½-second sooner. This transfer also has 2 loud extra clicks in the first second. As Ron noted, it's also kinda loud toward the end, overall DR 9 instead of 11.

If you want to recreate a slightly better sounding version of the US 45 from the '80s US CD album version, I think this is correct, based on my own 45:

• ensure the first triangle starts at 0:00.21
• delete 0:03.88 to 0:08.78 (removing the first cowbells)
• delete 0:09.39 to 0:28.99 (cut halfway between the 4 and the 1, right after "let it all out")
• delete 1:57.84 to 2:17.45 (cut halfway thru the "on" in "come on")
• delete 2:18.04 to 2:27.84 (cut at the 2 beat)
• delete 3:11.32 to 3:30.92 (removing "these are the things..." thru "let it all out")
• delete 3:30.95 to 3:50.56 (as guitar solo begins descending)
• apply 0:13 fade from 3:49.2 to 4:02.2 (linear to start, smooth but still pretty audible at the end)
• optional: speed up by 0.0012%
• optional: swap left & right channels so the cowbell pans right to left
• optional: in left channel only (or right channel if you didn't do the swap), copy 500–6500 Hz from 0:01.5 to 0:04.9, and mix-paste it 1%:100% over 0:00.15 to 0:03.55, to simulate the print-through

Feel free to PM me for my attempt.

It really is a clever edit. Everything that's removed is basically a repeat of what comes after, so nothing sounds out of place.

Edited by mjb50 on 30 August 2022 at 12:17pm
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 August 2023 at 12:29am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I've been able to identify every copy I have of this song as either a version or an early fade by a few seconds of a version of this song, with one exception. I suspect it was edited for the CD, but I'd like to see if anyone else can confirm it.

It's a Belgium / Netherlands / Luxembourg release from Sony called "Back To The 80s Volume 3. You can see it here.

It's 4:30 in length, and seems to be an early fade of the UK single version... which, in turn, appears to be an early fade of the LP version.

Canada's promo seemed to be a unique length that the label claimed was 4:35; could this be that promo version? (It says it's an edit, though...)

Could this be an early fade of the German single, or is that an edit?

It's not the version I want to play, but I'd feel better having it labeled properly in my library.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 August 2023 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

NightAire wrote:
I'd feel better having it labeled properly in my library.

Tears For Fears - Shout (early fade of LP version).wav

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version