Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Edwin Hawkins Singers "Oh Happy Day" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
PhilMH
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 July 2010 at 4:04am | IP Logged Quote PhilMH

Ok, the database shows the single's original running time as 5:08 (same as the LP version), and most of the CD versions are this time or slightly less, save for a couple of edited versions just over 3 minutes, BUT my U.K. Buddah single (stereo, though not labelled as such; original 1969 issue) times in at 3:52 and a bit (labelled 3:55), so were any of the U.S. singles actually manufactured at this length? I think the Aussie single (most likely mono) was the same edit.

Phil
Back to Top View PhilMH's Profile Search for other posts by PhilMH

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 2:29am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Welcome to the Board, Phil. I have been diligently prowling for many years now for a U.S. promo 45 that included a similar "DJ short" version to the one found on your UK Buddah single, and have found nothing to date. Because of these efforts, I am now more than 99% sure that no short U.S. promo ever existed. I do happen to own a couple of V/A Buddah LPs/CDs, that have featured a shorter version of the song on them, but I couldn't match those up with any U.S. stock or promo 45. However, I have just added the UK 45 you own to my want list, just to satisfy my curiousity - thanks for your info.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote KentT

A note, how does that UK 45 sound? The US ones are very dodgy regarding pressing quality.

PhilMH
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 2:04am | IP Logged Quote PhilMH

Hi guys,

Jimct, I've seen quite a few British and European copies of the single on ebay over the last few days. The continental ones (Germany, Austria, Belgium and I think Spain) have the advantages of picture sleeves, as well as the multicoloured Buddah label instead of the boring old black-and-silver used in Britain, but I think all were mono.   The b-side "Jesus, Lover Of My Soul" is also stereo on my copy.   I think they are true stereo, though I do wonder about the a-side, because Dorothy Morrison's vocal is all in the left channel, and I can't put my hands on my British "Very Best Of" CD at the moment to do a comparison to the stereo album version. I can tell you that the single edits out about 4 bars of the piano intro just before Dorothy comes in, and of course the long ending is edited, and also faded.

KentT - I bought my copy used, but it still sounds fine, save for a few clicks here and there - probably just needs a good clean - and it is now slightly dished, so the b-side rumbles a bit at the beginning. Buddah were distributed by Polydor/Phonogram then, and I remember that Polydor German pressings were highly prized here in Australia in the early 70's; Phonogram (the Aussie company then for both Polydor and Mercury/Philips) chose to import German pressings of some releases, I have 2 or 3 Stax LP's of the period pressed in Germany.

Phil
Back to Top View PhilMH's Profile Search for other posts by PhilMH

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version