Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Tane Cain...how do we know it’s from viny Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 July 2010 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

Just wondering how it's known that the Tane Cain CD on Renaissance is mastered from vinyl.Does anyone know where that information came from? Thanks.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Can't speak for the CD, but the iTunes copy had audible surface noise and vinyl artifacts.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 July 2010 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

budaniel wrote:
Just wondering how it's known that the Tane Cain CD on Renaissance is mastered from vinyl.Does anyone know where that information came from? Thanks.

I can't answer the question specifically about this CD, but most times it's not a matter of information coming from anywhere (like the net, amazon reviews, magazines) but just people here at the Pat Downey site hearing the CDs we own and clearly being able to tell it's from vinyl, even cleaned up vinyl. There's almost always some kind of vinyl "giveaways".

But as far as the Renaissance label goes, the news that this CD is from vinyl doesn't surprise me at all. Somewhere in the mid 2000s (or earlier), Renaissance became a bootleg label. Nothing they release is legitimately licensed - so they don't have access to master tapes. They can (and do) pull songs from other CD releases, but if the album hasn't already been released on CD before, then they just do their own vinyl transfers. If this Tane Cain CD hasn't been released elsewhere, then this Renaissance CD would undoubtedly be a vinyl transfer.

I worked on a "Very Best of Jigsaw" CD for Taragon Records in the mid '90s, a 24 song comp. Years later, Renaissance released a "Jigsaw Anthology", chose 20 of the 24 songs that were on that CD (and Jigsaw has released 160 songs), and then used my liner notes verbatim (except for changing a word here and there) and DIDN'T credit me (or pay me) as a liner notes writer!
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 July 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

I will never purchase another disc on the Renaissance label after getting "The Playboy Years" by Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds. The vinyl transfer they did on that disc was awful.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 November 2015 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 for the tane cain song "holdin' on" issued
as rca 13287 lists a run time on the label as 3:19 but
actually runs 3:14....this 45 run time info s/b added to
the db...

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2015 at 1:39am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Great news. For those who weren't satisfied w/ the original 2009 U.S. CD re-issue of Tane Cain on Renaissance, the U.K.-based Rock Candy label has just released their own CD re-issue of the album, newly remastered. However, because it's a U.K. import, it doesn't qualify for Pat's db. Page about the new release on Rock Candy's official web site: TANE CAIN - "Tane Cain" (2015 U.K. import). You can buy directly through their web site, or through their listings on eBay, where their user i.d. is "rockcandyrecords". Current listing from them on eBay: TANE CAIN - "Tane Cain" (2015 U.K. import)...

Although the hype sticker on the front of the new Rock Candy re-issue boldly states "First time on CD", it's actually the third, of course following the 2009 U.S. re-issue on Renaissance, and a 2012 Japanese re-issue on the Airmail label, which came in a miniature LP sleeve. Recent listing on eBay: TANE CAIN - "Tane Cain" (2012 Japanese import)...

I've had the original U.S. cassette of Tane Cain for 25+ years now, and I have to say, I always thought it was a darn good album, if you're into '80s female rockers. I've never owned the album on CD, so I will definitely be getting this one when I place my next bulk order w/ Rock Candy (have bought from them in the past - one time they did screw up my order by sending me the WRONG CD, but they made up for it by then sending me the correct CD for FREE, and actually let me KEEP the wrong one as well!)...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version