Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Tommy Boy’s Hip Hop Essentials Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 December 2005 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just read Pat's review on these CDs, as I was thinking about purchasing the first four volumes that are currently available. Before buying them, I took a listen to some song samples online, and I'm glad I did...

ALL of the tracks on these discs are censored versions; HOWEVER, many of the tracks (not all) have been edited for these releases and had never appeared in censored versions before (or if they have, they aren't the original edits). The old technique of reversing the curse word has been employed, and the edits are more annoying than anything. Buyers beware...
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Well, despite the fact that there's some unofficial edits (to remove cursing) on Tommy Boy's Hip Hop Essentials series, I decided to pick up Volume 1 for the track "Rockin' It" by Fearless Four (which does not contain profanity anyhow). I regret to inform that these CDs have another strike against them...

I couldn't believe my ears, but they actually dubbed 3 of the disc's 12 tracks direct from vinyl! While I realize that many hip hop songs have vinyl "crackles" in the song for effect, I can say for sure this is NOT the case here. "Rockin' It," "Egypt Egypt," and "Supersonic" ALL are vinyl transfers, which is pure laziness on the part of the producers. Not only did they not bother to remove the clicks & surface noise, but these tracks are all readily available on other CDs from non-vinyl source.

The first two tracks mentioned sound pretty good, and the vinyl noise isn't annoying. "Supersonic" is the worst offender, and it sounds downright awful! If I had to guess what the record looked like, I'd say VG at best. I certainly will NOT be buying any further volumes from this series, given this new found information. Again, buyers beware!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

aaronk wrote:
"Supersonic" is the worst offender, and it sounds downright awful! If I had to guess what the record looked like, I'd say VG at best.

Wow, that's bizarre. Are you referring to Supersonic by JJ Fad? That one is definitely available on several commercial CDs. It would actually be more trouble to transfer it from vinyl than just rip it from another CD. Too strange!
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, "Supersonic" by JJ Fad.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version