Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Salt-N-Pepa Let’s Talk About Sex Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 December 2005 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

According to the database, the remix of "Let's Talk About Sex" on the CD "A Blitz of Salt-N-Pepa Hits" is the 45 version. Is this correct? This version (at least on my CD) is a drastic remix that barely uses the familiar chorus that I remember hearing on the radio at the time. The LP version is what I recall from the radio; I never owned the 45.

Are there possibly 2 versions of this CD, or was the commercial 45 of this song truly such a drastic remix?
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2005 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

yes.......the "blitz..." cd has the correct single version as it appeared on the next plateau 333 cassingle as the "super crispy remix" version and runs 4:41 in length............i agree it is a lot different than the ubiquitous video version that ran quite a bit shorter in length.......

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2005 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

edtop40 wrote:
yes.......the "blitz..." cd has the correct single version as it appeared on the next plateau 333 cassingle as the "super crispy remix" version and runs 4:41 in length............i agree it is a lot different than the ubiquitous video version that ran quite a bit shorter in length.......

Thanks for the info. Wow, I just listened to it again and the single version doesn't even sound like the same song! The hook is missing ("Let's talk about sex baby, let's talk about you & me, let's talk about all the good things...").
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2005 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Please keep in mind that many (most?) top-40 stations played neither the version on the 'Blacks Magic' LP nor the remix on 'Blitz Of Salt-N-Pepa Hits'.

The version generally played did contain the hook of the 'Blacks Magic' version as well as the Staple Singers sample, but it had a more pop-friendly "four-on-the-floor" rhythm without venturing into house music territory.

I'm not sure the name of this version but I *think* it was labeled "True Confessions edit" or something like that.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2005 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

andy....this one i think you're correct on..........the version that i recall is the "true confessions edit" from the uk cd sgl....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 December 2005 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I've worked for two stations that played the song, and those stations both played the "Original Recipe Mix" but it was a (3:30) edit---not the full (4:40) version. This was the version serviced by TM Century, since at both stations, I played it from a TM disc. I would have to guess that a promo single with this version must exist, but I've never seen it nor looked for it. Also, the "Original Recipe Mix" is just a fancy name for the LP version, I believe.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2005 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

My promo CD has the 3:30 Original Recipe REMIX, as it's called, and the longer Club version at 5:55. It's Next Plateau Records Inc NPCD0157. This is what I remember hearing on the radio.

The same 3:30 version I have on the imort CD single (869 481-2, UPC 0 42286 94812 6), but it's called the "True Confessions Edit." The second track is a 4:41 remix called the Original Recipe Mix, which really is a completely different mix, starting off with spoken lines: "Punch it!" "Herb..." "Yo, I don't think we should talk about this." Is this the original LP mix?

The third track is the 4:38 Super Crispy Mix. Are you sure that's the cassette single A-side, Ed? That is too bad if it was, because I'm sure people were buying the cassette to get what they heard on the radio, and were very unpleasantly surprised, as it's a completely different recording, not just a remix.

The final track is the Techno Philly Mix of "Do You Want Me," an extended, pumping club mix.

Edited by Brian W. on 21 December 2005 at 4:12pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 December 2005 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Good info, Brian. I'm guessing TM just labeled the mix wrong, because it sounds like we're talking about the same one. The (3:30) mix I'm used to hearing does not start off with the "Punch it!" etc... It starts with "Spinderella cut it up one time" then there's some "oohing" and "uh-huhs" before the chorus starts.

And yes, I'm 99% sure that the mix which DOES start off with "Punch it!" etc. is the LP mix. Yes, you are correct---it is a completely different mix and not just an edit; however, the same instrumentation is used for both---one is just shorter with a few changes in the intro vocals. It's not as drastic of a remix as, say, the "Super Crispy Mix." I would say that the "Original Recipe Remix" (as your promo single states) is a short version of the LP mix.

Also, it appears that the "True Confessions Edit" is the same as the "Original Recipe Remix."
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 May 2009 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Apparently, the "Super Crispy Mix" was issued on promo CD first, as there is a 1-track disc with catalog number NPCD50157RE-1. The 2-track single that Brian references has the same catalog number except with an RE-2.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2009 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron, just FYI, the only promo CD single I remember us getting in back in 1991 (and the only one I own) is exactly the same one that Brian has detailed earlier. Since most of us are so detailed-oriented, however, I thought I'd bring this fact to light. A year later, in 1992, we got in another promo CD single for this song to the station. Just 1 version, stated as "Radio" with a listed time of (3:33), an actual time of (3:30), but titled "Let's Talk About Aids". It had the same hook as the '91 hit, but included some re-worked lyrics within it, obviously to try to save some lives and do some good. The promo CD single # is "NPCD50181". I never heard this "updated" version anywhere, however.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 June 2009 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks, Jim. I had never seen the 1-track "Super Crispy" promo until recently when it popped up on eBay. A friend of mine ended up winning it, should we need futher details on it. Also, "Let's Talk About Aids" was included on the US CD single for "Shoop," but I've never heard it on the radio either.

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2015 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

My US CD of Blacks' Magic plays the "hit" True Confessions Edit remix of "Let's Talk About Sex" remixed by Ben Liebrand, not the original LP version.

Barcode: 0 1834-41019-2 5
CD matrix: 89 PLCD 1019-2 RE-1 SRC-01

Edited by Underground Dub on 02 January 2015 at 12:25pm
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2015 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Both Black's Magic and the 20th Century Millennium
Collection on Rhapsody have the 3:30 Edit Remix too.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Online
Posted: 03 January 2015 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I am more than a little confused as to what the original LP version of "Let's Talk About Sex" really is. My copy of "Blacks' Magic" is the same one discussed above by underground dub but he references "not the original LP version". On the cd itself, LTAS is listed as running (4:40) even though it runs (3:30) so are there really two different pressings of the cd "Blacks' Magic"?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2015 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

I'm very confused, too.

Here are posts from this thread that would lead one to assume that a switch may have been made at some point, unless it's all one big miscommunication:

AndrewChouffi wrote:
Please keep in mind that many (most?) top-40 stations played neither the version on the 'Blacks Magic' LP nor the remix on 'Blitz Of Salt-N-Pepa Hits'.

The version generally played did contain the hook of the 'Blacks Magic' version as well as the Staple Singers sample, but it had a more pop-friendly "four-on-the-floor" rhythm without venturing into house music territory.

I'm not sure the name of this version but I *think* it was labeled "True Confessions edit" or something like that.

Andy

edtop40 wrote:
andy....this one i think you're correct on..........the version that i recall is the "true confessions edit" from the uk cd sgl....

aaronk wrote:
I'm 99% sure that the mix which DOES start off with "Punch it!" etc. is the LP mix. Yes, you are correct---it is a completely different mix and not just an edit; however, the same instrumentation is used for both---one is just shorter with a few changes in the intro vocals. It's not as drastic of a remix as, say, the "Super Crispy Mix." I would say that the "Original Recipe Remix" (as your promo single states) is a short version of the LP mix.
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 January 2015 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Since I don't own the Blacks' Magic CD, I'm afraid I can't directly answer the above questions. Here's what I do know, though:

- NPCD50157RE-1 was likely the first issued promo CD single with the "Super Crispy Remix" (same version issued on the cassette single and "Blitz" CD).

- NPCD50157RE-2 was likely the second issued promo CD and contains the "Original Recipe Remix" (the 3:30 version that Pat currently has labeled "LP version" and also appears on imports as the "True Confessions Edit"). This promo CD states it is remixed by Ben Liebrand.

The import CD single that Brian has, according to his post above, contains the "Original Recipe Mix" (not remix) running 4:41. This CD also does not list a remix credit for that track, but it does show that the "True Confessions Edit" is remixed by Ben Liebrand. I presumed the "Original Recipe Mix" was the LP version, which is listed on the Blacks' Magic CD as running 4:40; however, it would be great to have evidence that a US pressing exists with an actual 4:40 run time.

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 January 2015 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

It's possible that Ed's cassette single is different, but my US commercial cassette single (a vinyl 45 was not issued) does not have designated "A" and "B" sides.

One side is called the "Super Crispy Side" and contains the "Super Crispy Remix". I timed it at about (4:40), which is the stated time. The cassette single states that this version is from the Blitz Of Salt-N-Pepa Hits album.

The other side of my US commercial cassette single is called the "Original Recipe Side" and contains the "Original Recipe Remix". The cassette single itself states the run time as (4:40), its cover states it as (3:33), but I timed it at about (3:30). This version starts with the line "Spinderella, cut it up one time" and is the version I remember hearing. The cassette single states that this version is from the Blacks' Magic album.

For what it's worth, the two versions on my Canadian commercial cassette single are the "True Confessions Edit", which to my ears - as Brian mentions above - is exactly the same as the "Original Recipe Remix" on the US commercial single, and the "Original Recipe Mix", which is the version that starts with "Punch It" (this version does not appear on the US commercial cassette single).

Edited by Paul C on 04 January 2015 at 10:36am
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 January 2015 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial cassingle also does not statre an a-side or
b-side but a 'super crispy' side and a 'original recipe'
side on the cassingle itself......but...on the sleeve the
'super crispy' side with the 'vocal' version with a listed
time of 4:40 is listed first....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 January 2015 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

In general, the hit version is usually listed first; however, this case is not as clear cut. Despite it being listed first, the "Super Crispy Remix" did not receive much airplay. The "hit" version always heard on the air was the "Original Recipe Remix."

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 July 2016 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I was finally able to track down the (apparently) first issued promo CD single, which contains the following:

NPCD50157RE-1
1. Super Crispy Remix (listed 4:40; actual 4:44)

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version