Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Top 40 hit 45s from 1975 in mono? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 June 2010 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

My massive music collection inventory project continues... I'm trying to determine mono and/or stereo single availability for each Top 40 hit. It's my understanding that commercial 45s issued in mono were becoming increasingly rare by 1974. So if the overwhelming majority of Top 40 hits from 1975 were commercially released on 45 in stereo, can anyone name or list any from that year that were still being issued in mono? Helen Reddy's "Emotion" is the only one that comes to mind so far...
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2010 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Todd, I know of three others, off the top of my head. I recently noticed that my 1975 stock 45 for John Fogerty's "Rockin' All Over The World" (Asylum 45274) was issued in mono as well. Also, there were two Bell 45s released in late 1974 but reached their Top 40 peak in early 1975 that should be included as well, Barry Manilow's "Mandy", and Tony Orlando & Dawn's "Look In My Eyes Pretty Woman".

Edited by jimct on 01 June 2010 at 10:03pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 June 2010 at 5:29am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Odd that the stock 45 for the Fogerty tune was in mono on commercial copies...the promo was mono/stereo. Was "Let There Be Music" by Orleans mono on stock copies? My promo is mono.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 June 2010 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Steve, yes, the "Let There Be Music" 1975 commercial 45 was also released in mono (always thought it was a different mix than the stereo, but need to confirm), but I didn't bring it up earlier because the song peaked at only #55 on BB, wasn't a Top 40 hit, and therefore doesn't appear in Pat's database. My promo 45 of "Emotion" (like the Fogerty) was also mono/stereo, making the decision to issue both those commercial 45s in mono even more puzzling/curious. Especially since both the Capitol and Elektra/Asylum labels had already been regularly releasing all their commercial 45s in stereo for some time, by 1975. If I recall correctly, the last mono E/A commercial Top 40 release was Carly Simon's early 1973 hit, "The Right Thing To Do".

Edited by jimct on 03 June 2010 at 6:30pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 June 2010 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

jimct wrote:
Todd, I know of three others, off the top of my head. I recently noticed that my 1975 stock 45 for John Fogerty's "Rockin' All Over The World" (Asylum 45274) was issued in mono as well. Also, there were two Bell 45s released in late 1974 but reached their Top 40 peak in early 1975 that should be included as well, Barry Manilow's "Mandy", and Tony Orlando & Dawn's "Look In My Eyes Pretty Woman".

Ah, yes! I'd forgotten about "Mandy" being issued on commercial 45 in mono.

Thanks for the helpful reply, Jim!

Edited by Todd Ireland on 04 June 2010 at 10:08pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version