Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Rolling Stones-"19th Nervous Breakdown" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 April 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45, confirmed as London 9823, has a listed time of (3:50), but an actual time of (3:57). My 45 is styrene, with deadwax of "DR 37398-1H". This brings the song much more into line with its current CD appearances in the database, which all run either (3:55) or (3:56).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 November 2015 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

As I was listening to the 2002 release of Hot Rocks just now, I noticed that the intro sounded different on "19th Nervous Breakdown." The guitar that comes in at 0:02 is buried in the mix compared to the earlier Hot Rocks release. It also runs slower on the 2002 copy. I'm not sure if this is a completely different mono mix all the way through or not.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 November 2015 at 6:44am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I agree, the intro is different. I thought Abkco had merely found a version without distortion on the intro, but as Aaron describes, on
later CDs that other guitar is either buried or not even there (I can't tell for sure). On the original CDs "Hot Rocks" and "Big Hits
and Green Grass", the song matches my vinyl, with that guitar clearly audible. However those old CDs feature distortion on that guitar,
distortion that I can't detect on my vinyl. Possibly the CD format makes it easier to hear the distortion. At some point, probably for
the SACD releases, Abkco started using a different tape with that guitar mixed down (or out) possibly due to that distortion. I don't
hear anything different in the rest of the song (but there may be other differences). It's possible that Abkco created a new mono mix
from the multi-track. They tend to avoid creating new stereo but I wouldn't be surprised if they created a new mono mix. Unless we can
find other differences, I'd note it as "slightly different mix on intro" or "missing guitar on intro".

And there are speed differences as Aaron notes, I just don't know which Abkco releases are "correct", if any.

Edited by Bill Cahill on 28 November 2015 at 6:50am
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version