Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Innocence-"There’s Got To Be A Word!" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 April 2010 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Although not in the database, this song peaked at #34 in BB, in 1/67. My commercial 45, confirmed as Kama Sutra 214, has a listed time of (2:15), but an actual time of (2:24). My 45 is vinyl, and has deadwax of "KA214 100894". I happen to own an import V/A CD (Mynd Excursions: A Journey Through The Vaults Of Kama Sutra/Buddah) that features what is probably the LP version of this song. It has a horn/string intro, lacks punch, and to me sounds quite inferior to the 45 version. My original 45 has a sparse, :08, mid-tempo guitar strum/bass intro. Luckily, I was able to locate the 45 version on one CD: the 1997, Varese V/A comp "Sunshine Days: Pop Classics Of The 60's, Volume 2". It is in mono on this CD, and also runs exactly (2:24). Just thought I would share my detective work here, so other busy collectors now won't have to bother!

Edited by jimct on 18 April 2010 at 12:12pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 April 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Jim, I have a mono copy of The Innocence LP (Kama Sutra KLP 8059) and the version of "TGTBAW" is the same as the one found on the 45. Well, it's the same except that the title lost its excitement by the time the LP was released, as there is no longer an exclamation point shown on either the label or the back of the jacket (and my promo 45 does say "Word!")

But the LP title gains both an added parenthetical title and a few seconds, as both the listed and actual times are (2:27). (EDIT: Just compared the two; my promo 45 runs (2:25), and the LP track's slower speed accounts for the two-second difference.)

Has the hit version of "TGTBAW!" ever turned up in true stereo, even on the original stereo LP? It's been in mono on every Buddah-related compilation album I've run across that includes the song.

Edited by Yah Shure on 18 April 2010 at 4:32pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 April 2010 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

"There's Got To Be A Word" does appear in true stereo on 'The Buddah Box' but please be forwarned: it sounds like a second or third generation tape and the main instrumental bed of the song is re-channeled slightly (the vocal is centered and there are strings & chimes on the left channel, right in the bridge, and then back in the left channel).

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 April 2010 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Thanks, Andy! I'll just stick with the mono Sunshine Days track. All that channel-hopping on the Buddah Box cut sounds like an invitation to seasickness. :)
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 April 2010 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To 'Yah Shure':

Well, it's not quite as bad sounding as my post seemed to suggest...

(But it isn't too good, either.)

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version