Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Da Dip - Freak Nasty Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 April 2010 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

I was listening to my copy of "Monster Booty" and noticed that there seems to be a fade of another track at the intro to "Da Dip". It is not the fade of the previous track.

Anyone else notice this?
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 May 2011 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial cd single issued as power 0112 contains the below tracks

1-da' dip (no listed; 3:56 actual)
2-down low (remix) (no listed; 4:26 actual)
3-bump that rump (remix) (no listed; 3:43 actual)
4-da' dip (instrumental (no listed; 4:07 actual)

this info s/b added to the db...

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 June 2014 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just discovered today that there are two official single versions of "Da Dip." I finally obtained the commercial CD single that Ed lists above, and this is the second issued CD single. ("RE2" appears in the matrix number of the copy that Ed lists above.) I also have a different CD single with the following tracks (and no "RE2" in the matrix number):

Hard Hood/Power Records (TR 0112-2)

1. Da Dip (Clean) (3:52 actual)
2. Down Low (Clean Remix) (4:23 actual)
3. Bump That Rump (Clean) (3:43 actual)
4. Bump That Rump (Nasty Mixxx) (3:43 actual)

There are some obvious differences between the two CD singles, even though the catalog numbers are the same. The first obvious difference between the discs themselves is that the first pressing does not have the instrumental of "Da Dip" as track 4. Instead it has another version of "Bump That Rump."

The second obvious difference is the version of "Da Dip" on track 1. The disc listed in this post starts with a double-tracked spoken intro. The "RE2" copy does not start with double-tracked vocals during the first two lines. In addition, the Michael Jackson sample of "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough," which occurs in the first pressing at 1:25 is replaced with "yo DJ, yo DJ" at the same spot, presumably because the sample was never cleared.

Pat, I don't have any of the full-length CDs in the database to see which ones contain the first version with the MJ sample and which ones contain the second version with the sample removed.

Also, to make matters even more confusing, I have an mp3 of the song that has the single-tracked lines at the beginning and DOES have the Michael Jackson sample. That makes a total of 3 versions:

- Double-tracked first lines and MJ sample at 1:25 (appears on first issued commercial CD single)
- Single-tracked first lines and MJ sample at 1:25 (not sure where this version comes from)
- Single-tracked first lines and "yo DJ, yo DJ" at 1:25 (appears on second issued commercial CD single)

Edited by aaronk on 17 June 2014 at 12:38pm

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 June 2014 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

There may be a 4th version Aaron. As currently noted in the database there is a version floating around that has some female harmony overdubs preceding and overlapping the first vocal line. This occurs on the Razor & Tie Monster Booty cd and the Repeat/Relativity cd Bootylicious 2002. This version has the double track intro with the "don't stop til you get enough" line. Both run (3:41).
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 June 2014 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

aaronk wrote:
I just discovered today that there are two official single versions of "Da Dip."

Been a while since I heard this one (just went and found the original video on YouTube). I don't own any promo or commercial CD singles for "Da Dip" (wasn't a huge fan), but I just wanted to point out that based on the finds you've now made, there HAS to be at least one other commercial CD single pressing of TR 0112-2 out there. The fact that your latest (and edtop40's) copy has "RE2" in the matrix number indicates that it's actually the THIRD pressing of that single! Here's why:

No "RE" code in matrix number = 1st pressing
"RE" (or "RE1") in matrix number = 2nd pressing
"RE2" in matrix number = 3rd pressing
"RE3" in matrix number = 4th pressing
"RE79" in matrix number = 80th pressing, etc.

Of course, this would very likely explain why you've already uncovered yet another version of "Da Dip" of supposedly unknown origin w/ "single-tracked first lines and MJ sample at 1:25". So now you need to track down a copy of TR 0112-2 w/ just "RE" (or possibly "RE1") in the matrix number, and you'll then have another key piece to this puzzle. :-) (Perhaps the label even changed something else about it as well, such as switching out yet another track, as they did on the "RE2" pressings!) And who knows, there may even be a FOURTH pressing (w/ "RE3" in the matrix code) that contains the version Pat described in his post...

Off the top of my head, the most classic/infamous example I can think of where a label kept changing an album or single using the same catalog no. was RCA, on its vinyl LP pressings of Hall & Oates' 1980 album, Voices, w/ catalog no. "AQL1-3646". Anyone here who has that album on vinyl should check the lower left-hand corner on the back of the jacket for an "RE" code, as RCA went at least as high as an "RE-6" (i.e., SEVENTH) pressing, meaning they changed the cover art and/or music on the album itself at least that many times! (And after 34 years, I'm not even sure if any hard-core fan/collector has ever been able to successfully document just what exactly was changed on each of those pressings of Voices yet, lol...)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 June 2014 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Wow, that's crazy about the Hall & Oates LP! It's certainly possible
about "Da Dip" having a third variation with "RE" or "RE1" but I haven't
seen any CD singles with a 3rd variation of the track list. Therefore it
would be very hard to track down an "RE1" version without asking
every seller to check his copy's matrix number. Definitely not something
I want to do to all those poor sellers!

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 June 2014 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Oh, and I probably shouldn't have assumed that Ed's copy has an RE2.
I was jumping to conclusions since my CD single with the same
track list as Ed's has RE2 in the matrix. Ed, can you please verify the
matrix number of yours when you get a chance?

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 June 2014 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Aaron what lyrics were changed to obtain a "clean" version of Da Dip?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 June 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm not sure, Pat. This is just the description given on the disc, but there may not be a "dirty" version.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version