Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Need You Now by Lady Antebellum Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 March 2010 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Just entered the data for the brand new Now 33 cd and on that cd I found a (3:51) version of "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum. Does anyone have a promo cd single that can pass along the appropriate credits since the LP version runs much longer?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 March 2010 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My Promo Only CD has a version that it labels "2010 Mix" and runs 3:53. Is the version on Now 33 a different mix than the album?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2010 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Both copies I own from Prime Cuts run 3:53. The '2010 Mix' is what Pop radio is playing. The other has more of a country sounds to it.

Edited by eriejwg on 20 March 2010 at 12:33pm
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2010 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Most of the stations around here (including our Hot AC) seem to be playing the version that was a country hit last year, though I did hear a remixed version recently which I presume was the "2010 mix" that seemed to have the drums & guitar mixed way down. Oddly, to my ears it sounds MORE "country" than the original.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2010 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

I have never understood the need to remix country songs that get played on top 40 stations. I mean, obviously, the song was good enough as is to get attention by pop program directors, right?

And of all the recent crossovers, "Need You Now" was the most pop-sounding already. It hardly sounded country at all. Go figure.
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

I totally agree.
Can you imagine in the 70s saying "we're waiting for a less country mix of Kenny Rogers?"
Its not like its George Strait.
There was much confusion during the Shania Twain run when pop stations played remixed versions of her songs.
"Need You Now" is as much country as Crystal Gayle was in the 70s.

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 March 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Yeah i had to chime in on this one. I often tune in the AC station on the way home from work and they've been playing this track which i like (i don't know which version they play)... but my wife asked me if i heard of the group and what kind of music were they.
I responded yes, i have a few songs and they are "country" but only by the sad state of affairs of modern music industry thinking...
I played her this song, and she agreed in our day we'd call this "soft rock".
Now, as for the copy i purchased, maybe i should look for this other mix, because i noticed in my copy the drums have no definition at all. I had just written it off to the modern way of destroying the sound of everything with over-compression-loudness-wars. I call it the "wall of slush".
-MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 March 2010 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

MMathews wrote:

I responded yes, i have a few songs and they are "country" but only by the sad state of affairs of modern music industry thinking...
I played her this song, and she agreed in our day we'd call this "soft rock".
Now, as for the copy i purchased, maybe i should look for this other mix, because i noticed in my copy the drums have no definition at all.

It sounds like you have the remix...the drums are quite prominent on the version country radio's been playing for the past year.

I'm not sure the state of affairs of contemporary music is any "sadder" than it was for most of the last 50 or so years. Is this any less "country" than Glen Campbell or Kenny Rogers? It seems that there always seems to be debate/controversy over whether a given artist is "country enough", especially if they cross over. Tastes change, music evolves. Today's country artists didn't just listen to George Jones & Faron Young growing up...they were influenced by rock too. This is not a bad thing to my ears.

Edited by Hykker on 24 March 2010 at 5:49pm
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 March 2010 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Oh, to clarify my "sad state" comment...
There are a lot of things sad these days in the music industry but i was referring to the general rule that a group making music like this usually gets put in the country category if they want to sell.
Also, as mentioned above, the feeling that when a song IS country, they feel they have to change it for pop radio or it would offend someone. It just seems to me that back when, Kenny Rogers could be just what he was, Firefall could be what they were, and everything else; disco, rock, whatever, and all could be played on the same top 40 station and somehow it worked.
I guess I'm just showing my age. :-)
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 March 2010 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

MMathews wrote:
...a group making music like this usually gets put in the country category if they want to sell.

I've heard songs from both of their two albums, and they are truly are a contemporary country act. Perhaps "Need You Now" doesn't sound quite as country as some of their other songs, and perhaps the "2010 Mix" wasn't done to sound less country, but for other reasons. Lady Antebellum were already selling tons of records before hitting the pop stations, though.

Quote:
Also, as mentioned above, the feeling that when a song IS country, they feel they have to change it for pop radio or it would offend someone.

I don't think this is necessarily the reason they would change it for pop radio. In some cases, though, maybe the label feels they have a better chance of making it a huge hit on pop radio if they take some of the "twang" out.

"Need You Now" had already been a huge country hit several months before it was released to pop radio. It wasn't until the new mix was pushed to CHR that it became a big pop hit. It's highly possible that the song would have been just as successful if it had been released as is, with no new mix. Maybe they figured a new mix would give it a fresh sound, since it had already been spinning in heavy rotation for three months on country radio.

Quote:
.. all could be played on the same top 40 station and somehow it worked.

I really don't think things have changed all that much. My local top 40 station is spinning in heavy rotation Lady Antebellum (pop/country), Black Eyed Peas (hip hop), Orianthi (rock), Lady Gaga (pop), Train (alternative/rock), Young Money (rap/hip hop), and Jason Derulo (R&B). I think there's a pretty good mix on the charts right now.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 May 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

eriejwg wrote:
Both copies I own from Prime Cuts run 3:53. The '2010 Mix' is what Pop radio is playing. The other has more of a country sounds to it.

I have a commercial digital single of Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" that I downloaded from I-Tunes a couple of years ago and just now noticed it runs 3:53 and is an edit of the album version, EXCEPT the telephone voice message overdubs heard during the 4:37 album version intro are removed. (Note: This single version is likely the "more country-sounding" 3:53 version John owns from Prime Cuts which is different from the "2010 Mix" that was serviced to pop radio stations.) Therefore, I think a case can be made here that Lady Antebellum's Need You Now parent CD on Capitol Nashville 97702 should probably have an "LP version" comment in the database.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 19 May 2012 at 10:06pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2012 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Update: I conducted an analysis of "Need You Now" as it appears on the 2011 Grammy Nominees CD (Grammy Recordings/Jive 780792) and it is not the "2010 Mix" as currently indicated in the database, but rather the single version. (In other words, it exactly matches the version I downloaded from I-Tunes.) One of the most distinguishable ways to tell the difference between the single version and "2010 Mix" is by listening to the electric guitar solo bridge which begins at 2:21 on the former and 2:18 on the latter. Those guitar solos are clearly different.

The database however does correctly indicate that the Now That's What I Call Music 35 various artists CD on EMI 09844 contains the "2010 Mix".

Edited by Todd Ireland on 20 May 2012 at 9:28pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version