Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Tierra - Together Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 March 2010 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

(ASIDE: I don't remember this song at ALL but it made it to #53 on 1981's yr end Billboard charts.)

"Together," by Tierra: does anybody know if the album version can be edited down to the 45 length, or was it a separate mix?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

CORRECTION: can the album version be edited down to the SHORT D.J. edit length?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 2:12am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I may have created my own answer, although I have nothing to reference to.

If you remove the talking from 2:58 - 3:21 (or more likely 2:59 - 3:22 if you don't cut the silence from the beginning of the track) from the long 45 edit you end up with a file 3:57 in length.

An early fade takes it down to the DJ short edit length!

Can anybody with the short DJ copy confirm this for me? It was tough to get the edit to sound smooth, & I'm wondering if the 45 was as "rough."

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

I'll check my promo copy tonight, but I don't recall it having a short version on it. Maybe there were 2 promos serviced?

I also don't remember this song getting much airplay, but we really didn't have much in the way of Top 40 radio up this way in '80/81. Even though you'd think this would have been a big AC hit, I don't recall any of the AC stations playing it either.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

Don't feel bad. I was a big chart follower back in the day and there are some of these "hits" that I can't remember either.
Especially, the early 80s.
In fact, some of the late 80s stuff which I played as new songs have left my memory too.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

There was a previous thread, in which Aaron talks about how to achieve the short edit, which actually runs 3:49.

Tierra
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote RichM921

Hykker wrote:
I also don't remember this song getting much airplay, but we really didn't have much in the way of Top 40 radio up this way in '80/81. Even though you'd think this would have been a big AC hit, I don't recall any of the AC stations playing it either.

Steve, I believe up near your way JB105 played the heck out of it back then. Not sure about anybody else though.
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

RichM921 wrote:

Steve, I believe up near your way JB105 played the heck out of it back then. Not sure about anybody else though.

Indeed they did, pretty much the only place I heard it. 'PRO-FM might have, but with semi-locals on 92.1 & 92.5 they were a tough catch!

JB was a great station in the late 70s/early 80s, but seemed to wither on the vine just about the time that CHR really took off in '82/83, and had transitioned to soft AC by the mid 80s.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

eriejwg, don't know how my search didn't turn up that thread... thank you so much! That answered my question, & by pure accident, my edit was right. :)

The other thread mentions a mono mix... the original 45 serviced to radio was NOT mono, not in 1981...

...was it???

The version I have is one of those with the awful noise reduction applied, but the only "original" recordings I could find on Amazon & iTunes were all mono.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Hykker wrote:
JB was a great station in the late 70s/early 80s

I loved JB-105 in the late '70s. Also PRO-FM was really good. Does anyone recall when these stations started playing pop/top40 music?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Hykker wrote:

The full-service AC I worked at in St. Cloud, MN never played it, either.

At the time, I often listened to KFI-AM/Los Angeles into the wee hours. The Tierra record was a big local hit in L.A. and KFI played the hell out of it. Although "Together" hadn't charted yet, the St. Cloud Musicland store already had the original ASI pressing in stock, so that's what I bought.   
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 3:00am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Quote:
the original 45 serviced to radio was NOT mono, not in 1981...

...was it???

I just wanted to make sure this question didn't get lost; I'm really curious!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

Steve Sharp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote Steve Sharp

Is there a good-sounding mastering of this song, on cd? Album version would be just fine.
Back to Top View Steve Sharp's Profile Search for other posts by Steve Sharp Visit Steve Sharp's Homepage

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote abagon

Yah Shure wrote:
At the time, I often listened to KFI-AM/Los Angeles into the wee hours. The Tierra record was a big local hit in L.A. and KFI played the hell out of it. Although "Together" hadn't charted yet, the St. Cloud Musicland store already had the original ASI pressing in stock, so that's what I bought.   

Thank you for the information, Yah Shure.
Because I wondered why ASI pressing of "Together" exists.
FYI: ASI 45 runs 4:14, its speed is faster than the Boardwalk commercial 45, and has an early fade.

--abagon

Edited by abagon on 09 March 2010 at 8:18am
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

abagon wrote:
Thank you for the information, Yah Shure.
Because I wondered why ASI pressing of "Together" exists.
FYI: ASI 45 runs 4:14, its speed is faster than the Boardwalk commercial 45, and has an early fade.

You're welcome, Abagon, and thanks for including the timing info! Since the ASI 45 was the only version I ever heard on the radio, it, to me, was the "hit".
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote jimct

NightAire wrote:
the original 45 serviced to radio was NOT mono, not in 1981...

...was it???
NightAire, I have 2 different 1981 Boardwalk promo 45s for this song. 1-a listed 4:24 on both sides, in stereo on both sides, and 2) a long/short Boardwalk promo 45, also in stereo on both sides. My stock 45 was also in stereo, as it was on my Boardwalk LP that includes the track. So, unless the initial, small-label 45 just brought up includes a mono mix, "Together" appears to be making its mono debut on these CDs. FYI, my Top 40 station in CT played the song for a good 2 months, in medium rotation, during Jan/Feb of 1981.

Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

This song was a big hit on South Florida radio in '81. I purchased the Boardwalk 45 when it was on the charts. I had forgotten that it was written by Gamble & Huff. Wish it would have turned up on one of those CD compilations that the songwriting team have released in the past.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

jimct wrote:
So, unless the initial, small-label 45 just brought up includes a mono mix, "Together" appears to be making its mono debut on these CDs.

Purely speculation, but sometimes vinyl dubs are better "disguised" when summed to mono. Since every other CD I've heard (can't comment on the mono CDs) has a vinyl dub, maybe that's why those are mono.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Hm-m... interesting possibility Aaronk. The samples I heard sounded very clean, but a 30 sec lo-fi sample could easily not reveal its vinyl roots.

Jimct, thanks for confirming that it WAS released in stereo originally.

I assume the ASI & Boardwalk versions are the same take & mix, with speed & length being the only differences?

This one's been a real challenge to track down & get right!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Just to clarify, can anyone confirm which (if any) CD appearances of this song are from a tape source? The database has a "mastered from vinyl" indicator on several CDs (such as Smooth Grooves, the only title I own with this song). But many of the listings do not have the "vinyl" indicator or other warnings (rerecording, noise reduction, etc.), such as:

(S) (4:22) Rhino 72920 Raza Rock Of The '70s & '80s   
(S) (4:23) Rhino 75587 Brown Eyed Soul Box Set   
(S) (4:23) Time-Life R794-14 Body + Soul: Midnight Seduction   
(S) (4:23) Original Sound 8726 Golden Oldies Volume 12   

I was going to give the Brown Eyed Soul box set a try, but then I noticed that it appears on another Brown Eyed Soul listing (Vol. 1, Rhino 72868) with the dreaded "mastered from vinyl". I think there would a high likelihood that both CDs share the same mastering. In fact, I would wager that all Rhino CDs with this song share the same vinyl-sourced transfer.

Edited by Roscoe on 09 March 2010 at 12:10pm
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version