Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Thank you for this community! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 February 2010 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I've been a "lurker" here for several months, learning so much from all of you about the differences in various releases of the same song. Often after tracking down what you'll describe as the single edit or DJ promo, I'll hear it & think, "THAT'S why it hasn't sounded right on the radio for years! They're playing the wrong version!"

Since then I've signed up for the directory (which is an invaluable resource; thank you Pat!), & chances are I'll have a few questions headed your way. :)

I don't know how much I can help with, but if I think I have something useful to add, I promise to chime in!

FYI, my particular reason for interest in this site is attempting to get all of the DJ edits of the top 100 songs for each year 1980 - 1989 for my little internet radio station; you all are helping me "get it right."

Thanks again!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 February 2010 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Welcome, Gene!
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 February 2010 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, welcome to the forum!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 February 2010 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Glad to have you on board, Gene!
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2010 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

So is your station up and running yet?
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2010 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

You bet! We've been all-80s since January 1st, although I'm still adding songs.

I'm adding the "single / radio edits" of the top 100 songs of each year according to Billboard Magazine, 1980 through 1989. On Friday & Saturday nights I'm playing that same hot 100, but the extended / remix / dance mix / 12" versions. I'm trying to only add period-correct mixes, though... nothing that's been created since the single came out.

Since being added to iTunes directory, my audience has exploded! I was wishing I had more listeners, but now all I can see are the things still undone (website updates, adding the rest of the 100 for each year, voiceover elements, jocking a daily shift, etc). All in good time, & one foot in front of the other, I keep reminding myself. :)

(BTW, in case you're wondering why in the world the web needs another all-80s station, here's why I think it does:

Most 80s stations seem to lean alternative, or rock, or maybe only obscure 80s songs.

Just like previous decades, there was a huge variety of music on top-40 radio in the 80s, from Ratt & Quiet Riot to Neil Diamond & Barry Manilow.

I want to be the station where all these pop hits happily play together on the radio again. It seems to be working!

And with an (eventual) library of 1,000 songs, every one of them a smash, listeners shouldn't get burnt out on repeats or get frustrated hearing a bunch of unfamilar songs or get irritated hearing just one style of music all day.)

Thanks for asking! Sorry about writing a book; as you can tell, I'm a little passionate about the station. ;-)

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 February 2010 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

So how does one get added to the iTunes directory? I have a station that's "just for fun." Maybe someone on here can tell me why it doesn't seem to be working on the MAC anymore. You can listen at www.gamsworld.com/

I have an embedded player as well as a link for the stand alone player. It's basically an embedded .asx file that points to my stream. I believe it still works fine on the PC but I have no way of testing it. So if anyone is good a code take a look at my source if you can.
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 February 2010 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I wasn't able to get your station to stream, & I'm on Windows.

All of the instructions are in this (external) thread:

LoudCity Discussion Forum

Hope this helps!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version