Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Reacquiring vinyl - opinions sought Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 January 2010 at 12:33am | IP Logged Quote satchdr

This post is a bit out of the ordinary.

I have a chance to reacquire about 300 rock/r&b/pop LPs from my ex (all in excellent condition) if I agree to burn her copies on CD. I have the commercial CDs of them in my collection. The vintage of these LPs is in the 79 to 87 time frame (including pressings from that period of some earlier releases.) None of these are "hard to find" LPs to my knowledge. Other than a few LPs from that period (Don Henley "I Can't Stand Still" and Jimmy Buffett's "Floridays," for example) that contain mixes different than those that later appeared on CD, I am scratching my head wondering what to do. Does it make sense to reacquire all of this vinyl when I already have it on CD? As a general practical matter, do LPs from that time period have any significant collectors' value? Or would I just be getting a lot of vinyl that would probably gather dust as I'd be listening to the CD, not the LP, most times?
Back to Top View satchdr's Profile Search for other posts by satchdr

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 January 2010 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

can't tell you what to do, but about 8 years ago, i dumped all my vinyl, maybe 1,000 lps....again mostly in that same time space 1979-1990.....since i had acquired them on cd, they where just crowding my garage space.....as far as collectible value, i don't think you have any money there.....just one man's opinion....

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 January 2010 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

I guess you have to ask yourself if, since you already have much of this music on CD, you'll ever play these records. Are a handful of songs that are a different mix worth it? Transferring 300 LPs to CD will be quite an undertaking!

While I haven't gone to the extent Ed did, I've been gradually weeding out my collection over the years. I just don't have the space to keep albums with just one song on it I care about, or records (or CDs for that matter) that I rarely if ever listen to. When I moved to my present home 5 years ago a LOT of low-charting vinyl & CD singles that I didn't even remember, albums I never played, etc. got disposed of.

As Ed said, there doesn't sound like there's anything with any collector's value. Unless there's high personal value to you I'd pass on it.

Edited by Hykker on 30 January 2010 at 8:38am
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 January 2010 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The stuff that's actually worth some $ from that time period is the non-LP material. 12" singles, promos, and all that - that's the good stuff. I'd say if it's just standard-issue LPs from 1979-1987, you're not missing much.

And for the last 15 years, when people have asked me to copy vinyl LPs onto CD for them, I tell them that if it's available on a used CD for less than $8, go buy the CD. It's not worth my time to clean up a readily-available album.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 February 2010 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

Thanks to edtop40, Hykker and crapfromthepast for their opinions. You folks confirmed my thoughts. I only took a very few LPs where the mixes were different than those on the commercial CD versions.

Thanks again for your input!

Dan
Back to Top View satchdr's Profile Search for other posts by satchdr

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version