Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: New Whitney Houston Deluxe Edition Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 January 2010 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

I just got the new deluxe anniversary edition of Whitney Houston's self titled debut that was released this week. This is a nice set mastered by Mark Wilder that avoids excessive digital limiting for the most part (although the uptempo tracks are a bit loud for my taste).

My observations:
- "Greatest Love Of All" is the original LP version, which I have never been able to find on CD. Apparently only the early CD runs contain the original version, which was replaced by the 45 version later in the run.
- "How Will I Know" sounds to me like the version labeled as "45 version with LP ending", but I will defer to others that actively participated in the "How Will I Know" thread a few years ago.
- Speaking of "How Will I Know", the bonus acapella version on this CD is a stunner. The background vocals with Cissy Houston are spectacular.
- I haven't watched the bonus DVD yet.

If you're a fan of this album, this re-release is definitely worth purchasing.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2010 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

great news about this release. Didn't realize it had been released. So glad to finally have the original mix of Greatest Love of All for collectible reasons (had it on vinyl years ago, and didn't realized until years later that the CD version was different, same thing happened to me with the Heart album remixes that eventually replaced the album versions). I too would be interested in knowing which version of How Will I Know is on here. It would be a treat to have two different mixes of two different tracks on different pressings of the CD.

Now, I hope they re-release Whitney's second album with all the 12" mixes, in particular "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" since it's the only 12" version I've never found on CD.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2010 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

budaniel wrote:

Now, I hope they re-release Whitney's second album with all the 12" mixes, in particular "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" since it's the only 12" version I've never found on CD.

There is a European CD single Arista RISCD 1 (659008) 1987, That has the 12" remix, dub mix and Moment Of Truth.

Looks just like the vinyl
http://www.amazon.com/Wanna-Dance-Somebody-Who-Loves/dp/B002 9NAPLU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1265233282&sr=8-5
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2010 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

You can also get the 12" remix on the US promo CD (ASCD-9599).

All mixes from the US commercial and promo 12" singles are available on CD: the promo I mentioned, the UK CD Indy mentioned, and the UK CD single "Didn't We Almost Have It All" (RISCD31) which features the "I Wanna Dance..." acapella version.

Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 February 2010 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

Oh--I failed to mention---on CD at a realistic price. I've only ever seen the CD singles for this song at ridiculous prices from used sellers--money the artists never see. And the record companies that don't keep this stuff in print like to blame the mass public for stealing music...
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 February 2010 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Let me know if you'd like a WAV of the 12" remix. I have both the US and UK CD's.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Michaeldila
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote Michaeldila

There’s a US promo 45 on discogs.com of “greatest love of all” that has
a
printed time of 4:30...anyone know if that’s accurate or a misprint?

Edited by Michaeldila on 13 October 2017 at 10:06am
Back to Top View Michaeldila's Profile Search for other posts by Michaeldila

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I don't know for sure; someone can probably confirm, but I will say that Arista label head Clive Davis liked to shorten the time listed on the 45 label (especially for longer songs) so that more radio programmers would be more likely to play it (at least, he felt it would).
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version