Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Digital released songs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 January 2010 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Perhaps, this may have come up for discussion in the past. As an extension of the "iTunes Finds" thread, just wondering with a number of tracks being released digitally and not on a physical CD, are those considered for inclusion in the database?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 January 2010 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Yes I have included a number of current songs that have not appeared on cd but do appear as a digital download. As far as older titles, time permitting I will include those also. I am currently working on adding Airplay only tracks to the database and that is keeping me occupied.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 2:57am | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

Thanks for all the hard work, Pat. The database is an invaluable resource.
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 5:29am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Pat Downey wrote:
I am currently working on adding Airplay only tracks to the database and that is keeping me occupied.

Pat, thanks for including those Airplay only tracks!
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Any database of "hit songs" that includes music from the last 15 +/- years needs to encompass airplay only tracks since a significant number of "hit" songs were never commercially released as singles.
This brings up the question though...what is a "hit" song in the 21st century? A song that gets lots of radio play? In the old days that would have been referred to as a "turntable hit", ie-one that for whatever reason got played a lot on the radio, but only generated weak sales. Reasons for these songs' existence vary, from a need to balance a playlist to payola. In retrospect, were they legitimate hits or not?
I realize today that most any song is available as an individual download, and I'd imagine these are counted by the trades (or at least ones downloaded from the major download sites, ie-Itunes & Amazon).

Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Hykker wrote:
This brings up the question though...what is a "hit" song in the 21st century? A song that gets lots of radio play? In the old days that would have been referred to as a "turntable hit", ie-one that for whatever reason got played a lot on the radio, but only generated weak sales. Reasons for these songs' existence vary, from a need to balance a playlist to payola. In retrospect, were they legitimate hits or not?
I realize today that most any song is available as an individual download, and I'd imagine these are counted by the trades (or at least ones downloaded from the major download sites, ie-Itunes & Amazon).

The Billboard Hot 100 is still a combination of sales & airplay. In fact, digital downloads have really revitalized the singles market. I still consider any song that makes the Top 40 of the Hot 100 to be a hit.

I think that these 1990s Airplay only songs would've been Top 40 hits, had Billboard policy allowed them to chart at the time. It wasn't until December of 1998 that they finally changed their policy to allow Airplay only tracks to chart on the Hot 100.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version