Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Vigrass & Osborne - "Men Of Learning" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 October 2009 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi People,

Does anyone know if "Men Of Learning" by Vigrass & Osborne is on a CD, anywhere?

If not, does anyone have a vinyl dub I could listen to?

Thanks,

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2009 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Andy: Paul Vigrass & Gary Osborne were friends of Elton John, who as I understand it brought them to the attention of his then-U.S. label, UNI. "Men Of Learning" is from their released-on-the 1971/1972 cusp U.S. LP "Queues" (UNI 73129). This album's main claim to fame was that it included the original version of "Forever Autumn", which was later to be performed by Justin Hayward in 1978, included as part of the "War Of The Worlds" audio project. Although I have never seen this album on CD, there is unconfirmed info on the 'Net that states that it was issued on CD in Japan (as Vivid Sound VSD-732.) "Men Of Learning" is a catchy, folky slice of pop, produced by Jeff Wayne, that reminded me some of Crosby, Stills & Nash. I will send you an mp3 dub of my 45 in the next day or two, sir.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2009 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Jim, Thanks!

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 October 2009 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

As long as Andy brought up Vigrass & Osborne, I thought I'd mention their other two Uni singles. "Virginia" was the second single from the Queues LP, but only managed a quickie #39 stay on BB's easy listening chart.

Perhaps V&O's best effort came via a non-LP 45 (Uni 55355) that didn't chart at all. From the moment I first heard "Mister Deadline" (the catchy intro sounds as if Crosby, Stills & Nash are singing the Five Americans' "Western Union") I was hooked, and ordered a copy of the single in late 1972. However, MCA wasn't interested in promoting the record, and it quickly disappeared. I highly recommend the 45 if you can find a copy. (A YouTube video exists, but it is so chopped to pieces that it does a disservice to the record.)
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 June 2016 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Update: Four years to the day after the last post, Universal Music Japan reissued Vigrass & Osborne's Queues album on CD, adding two non-LP bonus tracks: the above-mentioned "Mister Deadline" and its B-side, "Remember Pearl Harbour." Fortunately, the Loudness Ogre was on vacation when this CD was mastered.

I don't have the Uni vinyl Queues LP for comparison, but for the album's second single, "Virginia," the Universal CD track runs almost 2.5 seconds slower than the Uni 55344 single. To match the 45's pitch, wash in hot water and shrink to 98.878%. Then fade from 3:19.9 to 3:27.743, as the 45 fades out just a wee tad sooner.

Edited by Yah Shure on 11 June 2016 at 7:30pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version