Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Ultimate Bee Gees track listing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 26 October 2009 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

New release:

THE ULTIMATE BEE GEES
Track Listing

Disc One
1.     “You Should Be Dancing”
2.     “Stayin’ Alive”
3.     “Jive Talkin’”
4.     “Nights On Broadway”
5.     “Tragedy”
6.     “Night Fever”
7.     “More Than A Woman”
8.     “Fanny (Be Tender With My Love)”
9.     “Spirits Having Flown”
10.     “If I Can’t Have You”
11.     “Boogie Child”
12.     “Love You Inside Out”
13.     “You Win Again”
14.     “One”
15.     “Secret Love”
16.     “Alone”
17.     “Still Waters (Run Deep)”
18.     “This Is Where I Came In”
19.     “Spicks And Specks”

Disc Two
1.     “How Deep Is Your Love”
2.     “To Love Somebody”
3.     “Words”
4.     “How Can You Mend A Broken Heart”
5.     “Too Much Heaven”
6.     “Emotion”
7.     “Lonely Days”
8.     “Run To Me”
9.     “Love So Right”
10.     “For Whom The Bells Toll”
11.     “I’ve Gotta Get A Message To You”
12.     “New York Mining Disaster 1941”
13.     “Massachusetts”
14.     “I Started A Joke”
15.     “World”
16.     “First Of May”
17.     “Holiday”
18.     “Don’t Forget To Remember”
        Live Medley (from “One Night Only”)
19.     “Islands In The Stream”
20.     “Heartbreaker”
21      “Guilty
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 October 2009 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Bill Cahill wrote:
New release:

THE ULTIMATE BEE GEES
Track Listing

10.     “For Whom The Bells Toll”

Was this a typo on your part, or is the song really listed on the CD this way? My promo single lists the title as "For Whom The Bell Tolls".

Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 November 2009 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I just did a cut and paste from the press release.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 November 2009 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

A true injustice that "You Win Again" wasn't a hit in the US.
I've always heard that "One" was hyped into the top ten and really wasn't a hit.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 November 2009 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Where have you heard that?

And yes, I agree that "You Win Again" deserves to be a big hit - at least it was top 10 in the UK.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 November 2009 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

I regard it with the fact that I haven't heard it on the radio since it was in the top ten in 1989.
There are quite a few songs from 87-92 that seem lost. The same way that many late 70's early 80's songs have vanished.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 November 2009 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

bwolfe wrote:
I regard it with the fact that I haven't heard it on the radio since it was in the top ten in 1989.
There are quite a few songs from 87-92 that seem lost. The same way that many late 70's early 80's songs have vanished.

Yeah, both periods produced some pretty weak/non-memorable stuff. In the mid-late 90s our CHR did "lost 80s" weekends, we had a hard time coming up with more than a handful of songs from '87-89 (much as we didn't play much early 90s gold either).

I've always wondered why pop music goes thru cycles where there are lots of great songs ('65-69, '83-85 for example), and others where there's very little that ages well.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2009 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

Hykker wrote:
bwolfe wrote:

Yeah, both periods produced some pretty weak/non-memorable stuff. In the mid-late 90s our CHR did "lost 80s" weekends, we had a hard time coming up with more than a handful of songs from '87-89 (much as we didn't play much early 90s gold either).

I've always wondered why pop music goes thru cycles where there are lots of great songs ('65-69, '83-85 for example), and others where there's very little that ages well.

Well...it depends on your musical taste, I guess. I happen to think there were lots of great songs in both periods. In fact, I think the whole period from '76-91 was the best in music history. There was some good stuff from other eras but as a whole, those years were tops.

While I agree there's lots of "lost" hits out there, it's from all eras, but not just late '70s and late '80s. In listening to some old "American Top 40-the '70s" recently, probably close to half the songs on every chart are never played on the radio anymore.

The radio station I listen to has "lost '80s Saturday nights", and they play three-hours of nothing but '80s hits, from all parts of the decade. Usually during holiday weekends (like Memorial Day for example), they'll put out a "90s triple play" every hour, and play songs mostly from the early '90s. It's great to hear that stuff again!
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2009 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

bwolfe wrote:

I think the late '70s and early '80s had great songs, that I still hear. The 1980-1981 period was particularly great (It seemed to go downhill shortly after the arrival of MTV, but that's just my opinion). I also thought '73 to '76 was an amazing period. As for songs vanishing, I agree with what someone else here said: Songs vanish from every period. I can't believe all the songs from the '90s I never hear anymore, and that period is a lot more recent than the '70s and '80s. And not just SONGS from the '90s but even NUMBER ONE hits from the '90s. Like I never hear "Informer" by Snow. Other songs from the '90s I don't hear anymore (and these are all #1 hits, no less) are: "Romantic", "Tha Crossroads", "Freak Me", "Here Comes the Hotstepper", "This is How We Do It", "How Do You Want It", "She Ain't Worth It", etc. There are some #1's I still hear, though, like "More Than Words", "Comin' Out of the Dark", "Baby Baby", "It Must Have Been Love", "Unbreak My Heart", "Kiss From a Rose", "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)", "Hero", "Save the Best For Last", "Vision Of Love", some of the Wilson Phillips stuff. I've heard all those on terrestrial radio this year. But maybe other people are turning on the radio and hearing these '90s songs that I am not. I'm sure it's different in any city within the U.S. as every place has their local favorites.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2009 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Getting back to the track listing, I'm assuming these tracks are all LP versions (in cases where the 45 and LP are different)?

Edited by sriv94 on 05 November 2009 at 8:38am

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2009 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Torcan writes: "I think the whole period from '76-91 was the best in music history."

For me the best period in music history is '72 to '85. Based on your and my numbers, I'm guessing you're about 4 years younger than me. I've had similar conversations both at BSN and in person with friends, and it seems the majority of people (not everyone of course) think the best music is from the years when they were age 10 to their late teens. And they seem to be strongly opinionated about hating most music that comes after their high school or college years. I know very few people (in fact, I can't think of one) that loves '00s music as much as '60s music. I know people that love '00s music and people that love '60s music but there isn't a high percentage of people that feel equally strong about both.

Being a songwriter, I hear a lot of songwriters complain that '90s and '00s music isn't as good and won't be as lasting as '60s or '70s music. They cite how #1 hits from today (or the '90s) won't be around the way people still know the Beatles', Stevie Wonders', or the Beach Boys' hits. But that kind of thinking bugs me. Yeah, the '90s aren't my favorite decade of music, but for people who are ten or 15 or 20 years younger than me, it may be a whole different thing. Maybe those guys WILL be singing "Informer" by Snow in 2030 ... or "Here Comes the Hotstepper" (despite the fact that I myself don't hear these songs on the radio). I hear so many stories of how in the '60s when the Beatles came along, so many kids' parents said "this music won't last the way Frank Sinatra or Bing Crosby music will". And they were wrong!

Edited by EdisonLite on 05 November 2009 at 8:42am

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2009 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Does anybody have the Bee Gees' "Ultimate" that included the DVD? What I'm interested in learning more about are the 18 promo films, music videos and television performances (specifically the tv appearances). I know that the promo film for "Stayin' Alive" was included.

DVD:

1. Spicks And Specks
2. New York Mining Disaster
3. Massachusetts
4. I've Gotta Get A Message To You
5. Tomorrow Tomorrow
6. Lonely Days
7. How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
8. Run To Me
9. Jive Talkin'
10. Night Fever
11. Stayin' Alive
12. How Deep Is Your Love
13. Too Much Heaven
14. For Whom The Bell Tolls
15. Alone
16. Still Waters Run Deep
17. You Win Again
18. One

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 November 2009 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

EdisonLite wrote:
I hear a lot of songwriters complain that '90s and '00s music isn't as good and won't be as lasting as '60s or '70s music.

When you think about it, just about every decade has some "lasting" music and whole lot of music that is forgotten. I'm sure there are hundreds of top 10 records from the '60s and '70s that haven't stood the test of time. You practically never hear music from the '50s anymore, even from prolific artists like Buddy Holly or Elvis. The only Elvis song that gets any airplay in my market is "Suspicious Minds."

EdisonLite wrote:
They cite how #1 hits from today (or the '90s) won't be around the way people still know the Beatles', Stevie Wonders', or the Beach Boys' hits...but for people who are ten or 15 or 20 years younger than me...maybe those guys WILL be singing "Informer" by Snow in 2030 ... or "Here Comes the Hotstepper"

Your point is well-taken; however, it's a little unfair to compare the Beatles with Snow. When I think about "lasting" music of the '90s, I think about artists like Madonna, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Prince, Alanis Morissette, Matchbox 20, etc. I definitely still hear those artists on the radio today. When you talk about '00s music, artists like Coldplay, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Jay-Z, Beyonce, Pink, etc., have all put out music that I think will be lasting.

I'm actually surprised that radio hasn't put together an "oldies" station for the younger generations. I think there are a lot of people who would love to hear songs like "Here Comes The Hotstepper," "Killing Me Softly," and "Tha Crossroads" along with the other '90s rock and Hot AC songs that do still get played.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version