Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Lisa Stansfield - You Can’t Deny It Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 August 2009 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The hit "You Can't Deny It" by Lisa Stansfield is listed in the database with run times of (4:31) and (4:20); however, no notation is made as to why there is a time discrepancy. Can anyone shed some light?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 August 2009 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Aaron:

My research indicates that a 1-track promo CD single release of "You Can't Deny It" was issued on Arista ASCD 2034 with a printed run time of 4:21. I can't elaborate any further since I don't have this promo CD single nor the commercial single, but this printed time closely coincides with that of the shorter version/length found on Stansfield's Biography CD (Arista/BMG Heritage 10616). The one thing we do know right now is the album version/length, as it appears on Stansfield's Affection album, is 4:31.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my cassingle issued as arista 12024 does not state explicitly that it is a remix, but it is.....the liner notes state "string arrangements & remix by devaney/morris. remix engineer:george shilling.

the only place i've been able to find the correct single version is on the promo cd single, which i have at my house and can't provide data till monday.....but the cassingle version does run 4:32 like the full length cd/lp version......if you a/b the two versions, the place to notice the differences are at the 2:59-3:14 mark.....there is more background instrmentals on the single version at this point....

edtop40

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks, Ed! The database is missing this information, so I'm glad you discovered it. It looks like Pat will have to add notations to the database CDs.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just noticed that there is a US CD single (ASCD 2025) with the same stated run time and remix credits as on Ed's cassette single.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 August 2009 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron, ASCD-2025 is the one I have as well. This was normally the numbering sequence for Arista promo CD singles at this time, but this particular disc also includes a UPC block, with #7822-12025-2 inside it. Nowhere on it does it specifically say "promo", but a "CD5" instead. This looks to me like a very short-lived experiment by Arista to try a dual-numbered, commercial/promo CD single hybrid. Containing 3 tracks, only cut 1 is "You Can't Deny It" (listed & actual 4:32), while cuts 2 & 3 were the non-LP tracks "Lay Me Down" and "Something Is Happening", respectively. I'm now gonna start tryin' to track down the ASCD-2034 promo CD single that Aaron's recent research has uncovered.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 August 2009 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

jimct wrote:
I'm now gonna start tryin' to track down the ASCD-2034 promo CD single that Aaron's recent research has uncovered.

Good luck on finding that promo; however, it was actually Todd who made the discovery :D

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 October 2009 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I have just obtained the dj cd single of "You Can't Deny It" which is Arista 2024 the same catalog number as the cassette single. This conflicts with Todd's report of a catalog number of 2034. Yes this is a 1 track remix with no bar code and the dj copy runs (4:24) not (4:21) as stated on the cd. This 45 version is found on the Lisa Stansfield cd "Biography: The Greatest Hits". Now I also have a commercial 3 track cd single (catalog number 2025) with the remix on it but the commercial cd has a cd running time of (4:31) not (4:32) as stated on the cd jacket.

Edited by Pat Downey on 22 October 2009 at 6:12pm
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2010 at 4:35am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Just accidently stumbled upon a long-misfiled promo CD single for "You Can't Deny It". I can confirm Pat's recently posted details (ASCD-2024; not 2034, although I probably would've reported the disc's actual time as (4:25).) I'm almost done with a massive, complete A-Z doublecheck of my entire P CD S collection, so I hopefully won't have any other mis-filings, going forward.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version