Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch - Wildside Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 August 2009 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Does anyone know the difference between the LP version and "Radio Mix"? The promo CD has both versions, but I'm not sure I've ever heard the Radio Mix.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Brian was kind enough to send me a dub of the so-called "Radio Mix" from his import CD single. I just compared this to a non-described version from my TM Century GoldDisc, which I presume to the be LP version. Both the "Radio Mix" and the non-described version are the same, and they sound like the LP version to my ears. The only difference is that the non-described version has about a two second longer fade. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've listened to my Marky Mark cassette tape, so maybe I'm forgetting how the LP version really sounds.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 August 2009 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron, here is my promo 1991 promo CD single info:

Marky Mark And The Funky Bunch-"Wildside" (PRCD 4254-2)
1-Album Version (listed & actual 5:07)
2-Radio Mix (listed 5:07; actual 5:06)

There is an asterisk next to "Radio Mix", which then later states below: "Remixed By James Earley & Michael Kelly For N-Tense Music Productions - Remix Engineer: Stephen Hart"

Aaron, if you need to further analyze either/both of these tracks, just let me know. FYI, we played cut 2 on-the-air at our station.

Edited by jimct on 23 August 2009 at 3:47pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 August 2009 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jim, yes I would love to see if I can detect any differences between the two tracks on your promo CD. Whenever it is convenient is fine.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 August 2009 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just heard the "Radio Mix" (courtesy of Jim), and I can confirm that it is a slightly different mix. They've put the Lou Reed sample more in the center of the mix and added a very slight plate reverb to the vocal, which makes it pop out a little more.

The mix that Brian sent to me from his import single, although labeled "Radio Mix," is definitely the LP version.

Until recently, it had been years since I last heard this song. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "Wildside" ranks as one of the worst songs of the '90s to hit the top 10.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 August 2009 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Since we're on the subject, can someone verify if the 2-track cassette single has the album version or Radio Mix?

The CD What's Up?..., which is listed in the database, has the LP version. I just checked my copy.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 August 2009 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i'll check it out when i get home tonite...

Edited by edtop40 on 24 August 2009 at 8:14am

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 August 2009 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

aaronk wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "Wildside" ranks as one of the worst songs of the '90s to hit the top 10.

Ha! Tough competition with Timmy T's "One More Try"... :)

Top Hits USA has the Radio Mix on its disc numbered RH10 (sound isn't too good on that one), and it's also on one of TM Century discs.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 August 2009 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The TM Century HitDisc and GoldDisc contain the LP version of "Wildside."

By the way, I actually don't mind "One More Try" by Timmy T. It's just that the rapping in "Wildside" is soooo bad, and it doesn't help that he wrote lines like "sure as a seagull gets web-toed" and "blame it on a black man, what the heck." Surely, the song was also "jacked" from the previous year's classic "Can I Kick It?" by a Tribe Called Quest, which uses the Lou Reed sample much, much better than Marky does.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 August 2009 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial cassingle issued as interscope 98673 does not state a version nor run times of the two tracks contained on it listed below

1-wildside
2-on the house tip

BUT, i can confirm that the version on the cassingle is indeed the full length cd/lp version and runs 5:07

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 August 2009 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks, Ed!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version