Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Village People - "Y.M.C.A." Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 July 2009 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

According to MMathews from a post in 2005:

Quote:
Shortly after the lead singer was replaced (if I recall, by his brother) the new singer re-cut the lead vocal track over the same backing track.

I don't know how I missed this all these years, considering that I used those very CDs to DJ dozens and dozens of frat parties, weddings, you name it. It was my main source for the song for the first few years of the radio show, and no one caught it! I wouldn't have even noticed it, if not for this forum.

The new lead singer is certainly capable, but his voice is a little higher than the original singer, and you'd certainly be able to tell which was which in an A/B test.

I have this alternate vocal take on these CDs:
  • Silver Eagle's Dancin' The Night Away (1988)
  • Priority's Mega-Hits Dance Classics (Volume 3) (1989)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies - 1979: Take Two (1991)
  • Rhino's Billboard Top Dance Hits - 1978 (1992 - for shame, Rhino!)
The last one is particularly egregious, since Rhino had already put out a proper 45 version on a Greatest Hits and a Disco Years CD.

It appears that all the 4:00 versions use the wrong vocal take. All of the version I have that run 3:4x use the hit vocal take.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 July 2009 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

I believe the alternate vocal take was originally recorded for the movie and soundtrack of "Can't Stop the Music." That was the first place I ever heard the second singer doing the vocals. Oh, and it wasn't his brother who replaced him. I believe it was the brother of Valerie (Ashford &) Simpson.

Edited by budaniel on 13 July 2009 at 2:43pm
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version