Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: A Chart Oddity? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 November 2005 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

Recently, we were discussing how to handle airplay hits from the 90s. Well, while researching that era, I've come across what (to me at least) has to be the strangest example of, not only a top 40 hit, but of a #1, as well.

In 1992, Cashbox charted a song by Wayne Newton called "The Letter". All total, it spent 31 weeks on the chart, making it all the way to #1 in December.

I've been able to find no other reference of this song on any other chart I've researched. So, where did this oddity come from? You'd think that for it to do that well on Cashbox, it would have had to at least chart on Billboard. Right?
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 November 2005 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Do you mean 1972? That would be a real oddity if you really meant 1992. I don't think Cashbox was even around in the '90s.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 November 2005 at 3:07am | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

Nope, I mean 1992. Cashbox lasted until 1996.

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/randypny/cashbox/

Not only that, but I have a copy of "Cashbox Pop Singles Charts 1950-1993", a Whitburn like listing of the chart data (co-written by Pat Downey, in fact), and the song is listed in it.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 November 2005 at 5:50am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Oh, yeah, I've seen that before. It's well known that, in its latter days at least, Cash Box was under the influence of organized crime. The Letter didn't even Bubble Under in Billboard -- it came out of nowhere in Cash Box, quickly rose to the top, displacing Whitney's "I Will Always Love You" for one week, then quickly dropped off and disappeared.

But much worse things happened at Cash Box: the 1989 murder of their chart director Kevin Hughes. He may have only been their country chart director, I'm not sure. Last year a jury convicted former Cash Box chart director Richard D'Antonio of his murder, and he received a life sentence.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=9&screen =news&news_id=26840

Quote:
Metzgar testified Tuesday that Cashbox was, in fact, fixing its charts in the late 1980s. He said the magazine would add artists to its charts in exchange for payment from both promoters and the artists themselves.
"The minimum amount for six to seven weeks on the chart was $2,500," Metzgar said.

D'Antonio, who had been the Cash Box chart director prior to Hughes, was partnered in a record promotion business with a man named Chuck Dixon. The prosecution claimed Dixon regularly accepted large sums of money from clients eager to see their names on the independent country charts. D'Antonio, they said, then manipulated the data he was receiving from radio stations, sometimes paying stations to report records that were never played. The connection between Chuck Dixon (who died of cancer in 2001), and the Cash Box charts was supposedly so widely known that some Nashville insiders took to calling the trade magazine "Chuck Box."

Prosecutors alleged that when Kevin Hughes signed on as chart director, he attempted to legitimize the charts. That, argued the prosecution, threatened the defendant's gravy train.

Other sources claim Hughes was actually planning to go public with the fact that the charts were fixed. I'm unclear if this refers to all Cash Box charts or just their country charts. But obviously somebody paid someone to get Wayne Newton's "The Letter" single on the Cash Box Top 100.

Edited by Brian W. on 09 November 2005 at 5:54am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 November 2005 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

Whoa.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 June 2016 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

As terrible as this song is, I thought it would be a nice addition to my collection, given the history. Here are the details:

CURBD-1008
1. non-described version (listed & actual 4:29)

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 June 2016 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Aaron is this a cd single, cassette single or vinyl single?

Edited by Pat Downey on 21 June 2016 at 8:33am
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 June 2016 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Hey Pat, I should've clarified in my post that it's a promotional CD single.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 June 2016 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Brian W. wrote:
It's well known that, in its latter days at least, Cash Box was under the influence of organized crime.

I re-read the earlier posts (which I haven't read in almost 11 years) and this got me thinking, how much good could this have done Wayne Newton? If he performed it in concerts or discussed it at parties or in conversations and said, "I just had the #1 song in the country, 'The Letter'", anyone he told who'd been listening to the radio at all wouldn't recognize the song and would think he was making it up. So it makes me wonder how much of a booster this was for his career, and if the money spent (presumably by him or his team?) was even worth it. Like, did he make up for it in extra ticket sales. I kind of doubt it. I mean why would a fan who didn't hear any new song of his on the radio be more inclined to buy a concert ticket?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version