Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: RIP - Radio & Records Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 June 2009 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

I just heard the news late yesterday that Radio & Records is done and that the 6/5/2009 issue will be the last ever.

Sad news, as I've worked with/read it faithfully every week for years.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 June 2009 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Paul, agreed, they were the industry's newspaper for 36 years. Am so glad I ordered the commemorative issue earlier this year.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 June 2009 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Wow. It's always sad to see a major music and radio industry publication close down for good. Like for so many people in the business, Radio & Records was an essential read every week during my radio days. R&R's website has already ceased operation and visitors to the site now see the following message:

Dear Radio & Records Reader:

Given the consolidation of the radio and music industries, Nielsen Business Media has determined that the best way to leverage its assets and resources in support of these industries is to consolidate its music brands.

Consequently, we have decided to consolidate R&R magazine and RadioandRecords.com into Billboard magazine and Billboard.biz and to expand their coverage of the radio industry. In particular, the R&R airplay charts, which are powered by Nielsen BDS and which have become a key tracker of industry performance, will now appear in the pages of Billboard magazine and on Billboard.biz.

[snip]

We would like to thank you for supporting R&R, and we hope that you will continue to follow the brand through Billboard. You will be redirected to Billboard.biz shortly.

Sincerely,

Gerry Byrne
Senior Vice President
The Media & Entertainment Group
Nielsen Business Media
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 June 2009 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Also was reading yesterday that "American Top 10" and "American Top 20" with Casey Kasem are ceasing as of July 4th weekend.

The only way to hear Casey from that point will be through "American Top 40 - The 70's" and "American Top 40 - The 80's", distributed by Premiere Networks.

Some week, eh?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 June 2009 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

All I've heard on Casey was that Premiere will stop producing the new shows after July 4th. There is a chance some other syndicator could pick up new Casey countdowns, while Premiere would still syndicate the old ones. Might be over, might not. We'll have to wait and see.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 June 2009 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

eriejwg wrote:
Also was reading yesterday that "American Top 10" and "American Top 20" with Casey Kasem are ceasing as of July 4th weekend.

Bill Cahill wrote:
All I've heard on Casey was that Premiere will stop producing the new shows after July 4th. There is a chance some other syndicator could pick up new Casey countdowns

Aren't those the AC & Hot AC versions of the show? I wonder how much interest there is in a countdown show on either format given the glacial speed that those charts change. To pad the show out to 3 hours they put in so many non-current fill songs, it's hardly even a countdown show IMHO. I'm guessing that if Premiere is ceasing distribution of those shows it means that there aren't enough affiliates to be bothered with.
Casey's getting a bit long in the tooth these days too. Dunno if he had a cold or if his voice is shot, but last time I heard his show he sounded awful.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 June 2009 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

No, Casey really sounds that bad now.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version