Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Little Drummer Boy" Harry Simeone Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 November 2005 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I noticed that the only stereo recordings of this song in the database are the re-recordings. Does anyone know if the original recording exists as a stereo version? I suppose there could be an LP with the original recording in stereo.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2005 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Well, on the original "Sing We Now of Christmas" album, which was issued on CD as "Little Drummer Boy" (Casablanca 822744), everything is in stereo except that one song, so presumably it was not recorded in stereo.

But the mono version sounds best on North Star's "Crooner's Christmas," which is in the database.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2005 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Yes, years ago this track was a frequent topic on the "BSN" chat, because the stereo re-recording (made in 1960 for Dot, if i recall) sounds so convincingly close that many, including myself, thought it was the hit version.
The original was only recorded in mono. I do enjoy the stereo recording, though, because it is such a faithful reproduction.
-MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2005 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Yes, I must give this recording my vote for the #1 most faithful re-recording of any song ever. I did notice the difference right away (without having the pre-knowledge I was listening to a re-recording.) For one thing, there's one point about 3/4 of the way through the song, where it stops and a note is held out. On the re-recording, it was probably held out about 3 (or more) seconds longer than on the original. That was the dead giveaway to me.

Another very good re-recording is Stonebolt's "I Will Still Love You" on the Stonebolt CD. The group had to do that because the master tapes could not be located (and thus, weren't even available for the Varese Sarabande CD that came out later). This re-recording (on the Stonebolt CD) isn't as dead-on as the "Little Drummer Boy" one, but I found it quite impressive that the group could get it so close so many years later.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2005 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

If you're talking about the same stereo version that's on "Billboard's Top Christmas Hits," it was recorded in 1964, I believe, not 1959.

If we're talking about the same recording, I disagree about its being a faithful re-recording. The difference is obvious to me right away -- they roll their "Rs" on "pa rum pa pum pum" on the original mono version, and do not on the stereo recording.

Edited by Brian W. on 05 November 2005 at 2:24pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 November 2005 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

EdisonLite wrote:
Another very good re-recording is Stonebolt's "I Will Still Love You" on the Stonebolt CD. The group had to do that because the master tapes could not be located (and thus, weren't even available for the Varese Sarabande CD that came out later). This re-recording (on the Stonebolt CD) isn't as dead-on as the "Little Drummer Boy" one, but I found it quite impressive that the group could get it so close so many years later.

Is the version on The Lost 45s the original?

Also, back to "The Little Drummer Boy," looking at iTunes, there's a (3:03) version on a UMG release copyrighted 1978 (released in 1988). On pure listen, I can't tell whether it's mono or stereo (I was never all that good at distinguishing them unless it was too obvious). Is this the original?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 November 2005 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

The "Lost 45s" CD contains the original recording, as it came from cleaned vinyl.

Edited by EdisonLite on 06 November 2005 at 8:15pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version