Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: U2 - "Where The Streets Have No Name" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 May 2009 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

The database lists the version of "Where The Streets Have No Name" appearing on Island 314524612 and 314524613 Best Of 1980-1990 as "45 version faded :09 early." However, according to the discography below, the 1980-1990 version is simply an edit of the LP version while the single is a different mix.

http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/sing020.html

I compared the Austrian CD single (Island Records 664 988) and confirmed the vocals on the single include some reverb, and possibly some extra vocals, compared to the 1980-1990 version. An easy place to spot the difference is around the 4:16 with the line "I go there with you."

The discography notes that the "single mix" appears on all formats, including the US 7" vinyl. Can anyone with the US 7" confirm this mix difference? If so, the database should be updated to show this as a "neither" version on 1980-1990. I would guess a few of the other 45 version appearances may also actually be the LP edit.
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 May 2009 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Mike: here is a link to a promo 45 on ebay with a listed time of 4:46. It says on the label Edited From The Island LP 9058 "THE JOSHUA TREE"

Where The Streets Have No Name Promo 45
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2009 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I have a CD single of this, although the only clue as to which country it's from is that they spell it as "unauthorised". It's Island CID 340, with a copyright date of 1987, and a cardboard gatefold sleeve.

It's got: Where The Streets Have No Name / Race Against Time / Silver And Gold / Sweetest Thing.

"Where The Streets Have No Name" does run 4:46, and does have the extra background vocals at 4:16.

I confirmed that the version on The Best Of 1980-1990 is the same mix as on The Joshua Tree, and lacks the extra background vocals at 4:16.

My college station at the time got promos of "With Or Without You", "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", and "In God's Country", but not this track. Don't really know what's on that promo 45...
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2009 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Managed to track down a copy of the above CD single that Ron referenced.

In comparing it to my copy from U218 Singles, there are NO background vocals at 4:16 on U218. Perhaps, the entries in the database for that CD should reflect that it's an 'edit of the LP version.'

Were there additional 45 pressings?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2009 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

eriejwg wrote:
In comparing it to my copy from U218 Singles, there are NO background vocals at 4:16 on U218. Perhaps, the entries in the database for that CD should reflect that it's an 'edit of the LP version.'

Or, taking it one step further, an "edit of the LP version in an unsuccessful attempt at recreating the 45 version" comment would work here too. So does anyone know if the 45 version of U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name" exists on a full-length CD release, or has it only appeared on CD single?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version