Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: CHICAGO - "You’re The Inspiration" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 March 2009 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote abagon

CHICAGO - "You're The Inspiration" (Warner-Full Moon 7-29126)
The actual running time (3:48), The listed time "3:49"

According to the liner notes in the CD "The Heart Of Chicago 1982-1997" Warner Japan pressing. It says in Japanese language. "You're The Inspiration" on the vinyl LP "CHICAGO 17" is the same as the commercial 45. However, this song on the CD "CHICAGO 17" is different from the commercial 45. The CD version is removed a guitar sound at 2:41! I don't have the CD "Chicago 17". I want to know about the "You're The Inspiration" on the U.S. "Chicago 17" CD. Could you please check it?

--abagon

Edited by abagon on 18 March 2009 at 7:30am
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 March 2009 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Abagon, I'm not sure how to say "golden ear" in Japanese, but you definitely have one. Unfortunately, I don't have 17 on CD, but hopefully someone will assist you.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2009 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Fantastic catch, Abagon! I just checked the 3 CDs I own that contain "You're The Inspiration." Here is what I found:

The following CDs have the version with a guitar at the 2:41 mark:

The Very Best of Chicago: Only The Beginning (Rhino R2 76170)

Chicago Greatest Hits 1982-1989 (Reprise 9 26080-2)

Sure enough, the following CD contains the version missing the guitar at 2:41:

Chicago 17 (Warner Bros 9 25060-2) My copy is a very early "target" pressing that was manufactured in West Germany for sale in the US. I wonder if later versions manufactured in the US used the guitar version--can anyone confirm?

Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2009 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To confer with Abagon, I also own the vinyl Chicago 17 & it does have that guitar line just like the 45.

I have heard the no guitar line version on my local AC station & I actually thought it was a silly 'AC Mix' of the record--Remember those days when there were special AC mixes of hits that just slightly muted anything that might be considered 'hard', fearing any edge would turn off their coveted adult female listeners? Unbelievable...

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 March 2009 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote abagon

Thank you very much for the postings, 995wlol, AndrewChouffi and aaronk.
I didn't use my "oogon no mimi" (golden ear),since I got this report from the CD's liner notes, aaronk.

Thanks to the reports by 995wlol and AndrewChouffi, it appears certain that there are the differences between the "Chcago 17"CD and the vinyl LP. According to the web site "All Music Guide", "Chcago 17"CDs were released several times in the U.S. "Full Moon/Warner(1984)", Warner(2002)", "Rhino(2006) with bonus track". I continuously look forward to get the information for the CDs U.S. releases. Could anyone confirm? Thanks.

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 March 2009 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

So is it accurate to conclude there is no difference between the single and LP mix? And is it accurate to list in the database that the CD "Chicago 17" contains:

"Neither the single or album version - missing guitar at 2:41"

?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 March 2009 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

EdisonLite wrote:
So is it accurate to conclude there is no difference between the single and LP mix? And is it accurate to list in the database that the CD "Chicago 17" contains:

"Neither the single or album version - missing guitar at 2:41"

?

Hard to tell at this point. I think we need to hear from someone who owns a US vinyl copy of Chicago 17.

Because my CD copy of "17" was pressed at the time as the album's release, I suspect that there is an "original LP version" vs "45 version" distinction. Or it may even be a case of "original CD LP version" vs "original vinyl LP/45 version."

Edited by 995wlol on 18 March 2009 at 11:17am

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 March 2009 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

<Hard to tell at this point. I think we need to hear from someone who owns a US vinyl copy of Chicago 17.>

We already heard from Andrew Chouffi who says:

<I also own the vinyl Chicago 17 & it does have that guitar line just like the 45. >

Unless someone has a "17" LP with a different version, I think we should assume his LP is the standard. (Andrew, did you buy your LP at the time of release?)

<Because my CD copy of "17" was pressed at the time as the album's release, I suspect that there is an "original LP version" vs "45 version" distinction. Or it may even be a case of "original CD LP version" vs "original vinyl LP/45 version.">

If the original LPs all have the 45 version, then normally Pat would list this strange CD version as "Neither the single or LP version"; However, you bring up an interesting point that the CD was released at the same time as the LP. So your last designation may be the most accurate one. We'll see how Pat defines this.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 March 2009 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Ah, sorry, I somehow missed Andrew's comment regarding his vinyl copy. I wonder if later pressings of the "17" CD have the version "with guitar." Or, vice-versa, maybe there is an earlier version on vinyl?

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 March 2009 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To Edison Lite:

I don't remember exactly when I obtained my vinyl copy of 'Chicago 17'.

It was probably purchased during the hit run of "Hard Habit To Break", but may have been bought during the hit run of "...Inspiration".

Andy

Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 March 2009 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Here is what I have come up with. As noted above, the vinyl LP "17" contains the guitar overdub as does the vinyl 45. The original Warner Brothers cd version of "17" does not contain the overdub but the reissue cd on Rhino does contain the overdub. After checking almost all of the cd's with this song included, they all contain the guitar overdub. So I am assuming that there was a mastering error when the Warner Brothers version of "17" was released.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version