Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: 45-rpm Releases from 1990 Onwards Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 March 2009 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Hi All:

I know that this is a CD forum but I still prefer the little black discs.

Is there a reliable source of information to find out whether or not all hits released after March 1990 (the 45's day of death in Canada...lol!) were released on some sort of 45-rpm disc (either promo or stock)? I have obtained a few singles from the 1990s (my newest being Cher's "Believe"), and I have about a dozen singles from the 1990s, but I would have hoped for more.

Ones I have really looked for are:

Jane Child - Don't Wanna Fall in Love (The 4:04 Remix)
Amy Grant - Every Heartbeart (7" Heart and Soul Mix - Radio Version)
Amy Grant - Good For Me (Good For You Radio Version)
Roxette - Joyride (Radio Version with drum overdubs)

If these were also on some sort of promo 12", that would also be good.

It seems so touch and go with 45s from the 1990s until now. I understand that they are virtually non-existent now, right?

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2009 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote torcan

All 4 of those were on 45s – but Roxette’s “Joyride” was only on a Collectables oldies-series single which came out several years after the song’s initial release. I’m not sure which version was on the 45 though.

Whitburn’s singles books usually indicate which songs were on vinyl (I wish they’d do that for albums after 1990 as well…calling Paul Haney??), or old copies of Billboard indicated which configuration the songs were available on.

Many of the top 40 hits were on vinyl throughout the ‘90s (depending on the label they were on), but the format seems non-existent now. Maybe do an e-bay search for some of them? Most of them are pretty easy to find.
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2009 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

I always get a thrill when i discover that i like a more recent song and that it has come out on 45 rpm. Took me a while to get The Reason by Hoobastank (probably my favorite song of the last 15 years) on 45, but mine is pressed off center!

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2009 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Jody Thornton wrote:
... after March 1990 (the 45's day of death in Canada...lol!)

Jody - What happened in March 1990?
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2009 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote torcan

TomDiehl1 wrote:
I always get a thrill when i discover that i like a more recent song and that it has come out on 45 rpm. Took me a while to get The Reason by Hoobastank (probably my favorite song of the last 15 years) on 45, but mine is pressed off center!

So's mine...but it still plays sort of OK!

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2009 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote torcan

crapfromthepast wrote:
Jody Thornton wrote:
... after March 1990 (the 45's day of death in Canada...lol!)

Jody - What happened in March 1990?

Just about all Canadian record companies stopped releasing 45s around March 1990, although Columbia/Sony still had a few scattered releases after that date.

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2009 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Sam The Record Man was amongst the last chains to carry 45s in mall shops. It was the last time I ever was able to purchase 45s in a store (after that, I ordered a handful of singles at Stardust Records in Hamilton, and they were imported form the US).

And then, Music World was the last chain I knew of that carried LPs, until December 1990. I do realize that Sam's in Toronto did continue to carry LPs, and so did Cheapies in Hamilton, but I could never find vinyl anywhere else.

As for 45s now, I was surprised to hear about Hoobastank's release. I know Kelly Clarkson had a couple, but I suppose that's about it for 2000 and beyond.

By the way, my Cher 45 of "Believe" was also off-centre. D'oh!

Edited by Jody Thornton on 05 March 2009 at 1:12pm

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2009 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

I was able to get Jane Child a couple of years ago, but it has the LP version, not the remix.

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2009 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

Jody Thornton wrote:

And then, Music World was the last chain I knew of that carried LPs, until December 1990. I do realize that Sam's in Toronto did continue to carry LPs, and so did Cheapies in Hamilton, but I could never find vinyl anywhere else.

By the way, my Cher 45 of "Believe" was also off-centre. D'oh!

Actually, the major Canadian labels continued to release domestically-pressed 12-inch singles and LPs until at least '92 or '93. By the mid-90s, most vinyl was imported from the US. Any Canadian-pressed vinyl since then has usually been by an independent label.

I think the reason many 45s have been off-center or poor-quality pressings in the '90s is because US labels no longer considered them as a priority. Quite often limited press runs of 50,000 or less were done, primarily for jukebox use. They didn't take as great a care in producing them as they had prior.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2009 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Was there any rhyme or reason to which songs were available as 45s in the late 80s/early 90s? Some labels (EMI-distributed labels in particular) discontinued them early on, while other labels were more hit or miss.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2009 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote torcan

Hykker wrote:
Was there any rhyme or reason to which songs were available as 45s in the late 80s/early 90s? Some labels (EMI-distributed labels in particular) discontinued them early on, while other labels were more hit or miss.

You’re right about Capitol-EMI. They cut back aggressively starting summer 1989, and there was very little available from them in 7-inch format until early ’92, when the “for jukeboxes only” series started. Arista, on the other hand, still released pretty well everything on 45 until late ’91, then aggressively cut back. Columbia/Sony and Warner/Atlantic still released most songs on 45 once they became top 40 hits, but there were many cases of lower-charting songs being available on 45 and much higher-charting songs not.

Sometimes labels seemed to keep changing their minds – MCA for example released everything until late ’90, then stopped for a while. They started again in mid-91 and by late ’92 had stopped again. Go figure!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version