Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Triumph Classics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 March 2009 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

I have a disc from the group Triumph called "Classics" (MCAD-42283) which is not listed in the database. The CD includes both of their top 40 hits, "Hold On" and "Somebody Out There".

Does anyone know if the version of "Hold On" is the original or is it a re-recording since the song was released on RCA Records but the CD was put out by MCA?

Thanks
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 March 2009 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hi

Yes, "Hold On" is the original recording (LP Version)on this disc. When the band moved to MCA, the rights to their previous albums went with them.

-MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 March 2009 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

My copy of the Triumph Classics CD is a Canadian pressing, though it does state on the CD itself: "MANUFACTURED BY TRC RECORDS. FOR EXPORT ONLY." I seem to recall seeing this CD title available in U.S. retail stores only as a Canadian import.

Fetta, is your copy a U.S. pressing? If not, does anyone know if a U.S. pressing of Classics was ever released?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2009 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland wrote:
If not, does anyone know if a U.S. pressing of Classics was ever released?

MCA 42283 is a U.S. release, Todd. :-) I bought it on cassette myself shortly after it first came out in 1989, and have loved this Canadian band since I first became familiar w/ their material in the mid '80s. (My favorites on "Classics" have always been "Lay it on the Line", followed closely by "Follow Your Heart", "Spellbound", and "Tears in the Rain".) MMathews is correct in that all of the band's prior catalog on RCA went w/ them when they signed to MCA in 1984, so rest assured that all of the recordings on "Classics" are indeed the originals...

The entire Triumph catalog (including "Classics") went out-of-print here in the U.S. when Canada's TRC label re-issued it about 8-10 years ago. When I first bought "Classics" new on CD some five years ago, it was the same Canadian import that you have on TRC, Todd. (Have it right here - the markings on my copy are the same as yours.) At the time, the label apparently set up some sort of distribution deal here in the States as well, which is why MCA was forced to delete their catalog. The Canadian TRC re-issues are all I ever see in U.S. stores anymore, and all titles seem readily available here south of the border; however, I know they wouldn't qualify for inclusion in Pat's book/database, since they are clearly imports...

Anyway, like Fetta, I've since picked up an original U.S. CD pressing of "Classics" on MCA 42283 as well. (Can't locate my copy of that one at the moment, so I'll leave it to Fetta to supply Pat w/ the timings for "Hold On" and "Somebody's Out There", but I see no reason why the Canadian edition on TRC wouldn't be identical.) I actually noticed the omission of "Classics" on MCA from the 10th edition of Pat's book shortly after I bought it about five years ago; I assume it was just an oversight. Then again, I've noticed several other older U.S. CD hits collections missing from the book/database as well, which definitely belong (Eric Carmen and Steve Forbert immediately come to mind)...

I don't know about anybody else, but IMO, at just 11 tracks, "Classics" falls more than a bit short as the only overview of Triumph's fantastic '70s/'80s heyday that's ever been released to date. It's actually missing quite a few of the band's biggest AOR hits here in the U.S., including "All the Way", "Long Time Gone", and the title track from "Never Surrender", not to mention the near pop hit, "Say Goodbye" ("bubbled under" at #102)! Hopefully us fans will get a more in-depth compilation from these guys SOON! :-)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2009 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

80smusicfreak wrote:
The entire Triumph catalog (including "Classics") went out-of-print here in the U.S. when Canada's TRC label re-issued it about 8-10 years ago...At the time, the label apparently set up some sort of distribution deal here in the States as well, which is why MCA was forced to delete their catalog. The Canadian TRC re-issues are all I ever see in U.S. stores anymore, and all titles seem readily available here south of the border...

Just researched this a bit further. According to the band's entry on Wikipedia, original members Gil Moore (drums) and Mike Levine (bass) "purchased and acquired" Triumph's entire back catalog from MCA roughly ten years ago, covering the years 1975-89. They then formed "TML Entertainment" (I'll go out on a limb and assume that stands for Triumph-Moore-Levine), re-issuing the '70s & '80s MCA albums on their own TRC label. So they own 'em - at least here in North America, anyway, and explains why their catalog went out-of-print on MCA here in the U.S. in the mid to late '90s. (Apparently original lead singer/guitarist Rik Emmett surrendered most of his financial stake in the band when he left in 1988...)

Quote:
I don't know about anybody else, but IMO, at just 11 tracks, "Classics" falls more than a bit short as the only overview of Triumph's fantastic '70s/'80s heyday that's ever been released to date...Hopefully us fans will get a more in-depth compilation from these guys SOON! :-)

Going to correct myself on this. It seems that in 2005, Castle Music in the U.K. released a 2-CD set titled "Livin' for the Weekend: The Anthology". (Wikipedia and Amazon apparently disagree significantly on the track listing, though!) However, it was only available in Europe, which is why I was previously unaware of it. In addition, it's already out-of-print, and now goes for big bucks! Even worse, like w/ "Classics", "The Anthology" appears to leave off quite a few key hits as well... :-(

Also, I forgot to mention that a few months ago, I saw a news clip on the band on TV that said the original trio of Moore, Levine & Emmett had recently patched things up and performed together for the first time in roughly 20 years - and that they were actually talking about a possible reunion tour in '09! The Wikipedia entry reminded me of this, and indicates that this is apparently still in the works. If it proves true, I'd love to catch them (never seen 'em live)!
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Has anyone been able to find the 45 edit of "Hold On" on an
import CD? Also what is the actual time for the 45 edit
(listed time is 2:59)? Thanks in advance.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 June 2013 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

My recreation for the 45 version of "Hold On" runs 3:01,
but aside from chopping off the long intro, I don't
remember where the other edit(s) are.

Edited by eriejwg on 02 June 2013 at 8:51am
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2015 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

I noticed another original parent album missing from the on-line database - and in this case, that album was actually issued on CD TWICE here in the U.S. The parent album of Triumph's 1979 hit, "Hold On", was Just a Game. (And as I mentioned upthread six years ago, my favorite Triumph tune, "Lay it on the Line", is also off that album, and was the follow-up to "Hold On" - but alas, that one hit only #66 in Record World, #77 in Cash Box, and #86 in Billboard, although it should've done a LOT better!)

The first U.S. CD issue of Just a Game came in early '86, on MCA MCAD-1454. Because this was still the early days of CD, all copies were Japan-for-U.S. pressings. Listing for this original version w/ photos on 45worlds: TRIUMPH - "Just a Game" (U.S. CD) (MCA 1454) By the end of '87, it had been re-issued again, this time on MCA MCAD-31118. At least some copies of this second version also exist as Japan-for-U.S. pressings, but later U.S.-for-U.S. pressings are also out there. There are currently several used copies of the later MCA 31118 edition listed on eBay (but none on MCA 1454, which is clearly rarer), w/ these two being the cheapest and in the best condition: TRIUMPH - "Just a Game" (U.S. CD) (MCA 31118) and TRIUMPH - "Just a Game" (U.S. CD) (MCA 31118)

Oh, and Pat, it seems you omitted another U.S. CD w/ "Hold On" from the db listings - one you apparently already have, though, since I see it appears under all of the other top 40 hits that are featured on it. Note that "Hold On" is also track 6 on the 1992 V/A compilation, 70's Greatest Rock Hits Volume 14: Kings of Rock, on Priority CDL 7080. Don't have the CD myself, so I can't report the actual running time, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's also the LP version there...

Santi Paradoa wrote:
Has anyone been able to find the 45 edit of "Hold On" on an import CD?

About a year ago, I finally broke down and bought the group's 28-track/2-CD U.K. import from 2005, Livin' for the Weekend: The Anthology (Castle Music/Sanctuary CMEDD1089), which I mentioned above in '09. As expected, "Hold On" is the LP version on that one, w/ an actual time of (6:01). Regrettably, the set is missing a few key tracks - such as "Rock 'n' Roll Machine", "Say Goodbye", and "A World of Fantasy" - but if you're a fan, it's still the best (and most in-depth) Triumph collection assembled to date. Prices have come down slightly, but used copies still seem to go for about $40-$50 nowadays (ugh!)...

80smusicfreak wrote:
Hopefully us fans will get a more in-depth compilation from these guys SOON! :-)

And indeed it happened the following year, when the group released the two-disc set, Greatest Hits Remixed, which consists of a 14-track CD, plus a DVD; it came out in the Spring of 2010, and is still in print. It's definitely better than Classics, but from a strictly musical standpoint, it doesn't top Livin' for the Weekend: The Anthology. It also features both of the group's top 40 hits, "Hold On" and "Somebody's Out There". I don't have it (yet), but on-line sources indicate that "Hold On" is also the LP version there - so at this time, I'm not aware of the 45 version appearing on CD, domestic or import...

It hasn't happened yet, but I'm still hoping these guys eventually reunite for a full-blown tour! :-)

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 May 2024 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I just noticed that the database does not reflect that the single version of Hold On by Triumph has a label time of 2:59
and a run time of 3:00. I have the 45, and it can be recreated. Intro edit, another edit to get to the hook near the end
and an early fade.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version