Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Evelyn "Champagne" King-"I Don’t Know.." Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 February 2009 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I vaguely remembered an earlier, non-hit promo 45 of this song coming into the station in very early 1979, before a substantially remixed version was issued for it, and became the Top 25 national hit. But I never had a promo 45 copy of this earlier version, until now. The "non-hit" version starts with five acoustic guitar notes, before settling into a mid-tempo, non-disco groove, and has both a listed & actual time of (3:40). The "hit 45" mix starts with the familiar, 120+ BPM, disco intro, and has both a listed & actual time of (3:45). Strangely, both 45s have the EXACT same RCA catalog # (11386) & matrix #'s (PB-11386-A). The only difference on the deadwax itself is a "wp" in handwriting after the "hit 45" matrix, whereas the "initial, non-hit 45" has a circled, number "2" after the matrix. I believe this could also be a reason why the LP "Smooth Talk" had two pressings, as Pat has earlier alluded to, in a previous, "Shame" thread; to replace the "stiff" version of this song with the "hit" version.

Edited by jimct on 21 February 2009 at 10:29am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version