Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Blondie "Rapture" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 February 2009 at 1:05am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

I wonder if the US single and Canuckistan single were different.

My stock 45-rpm disc from March 1981 has the LP version, which I believe was 6:33. The US Edit (I don't know if that's what it's called) was adapted from the 9+ minute long 12" single with remixed cowbells. It's similar to the "Best of Blondie" version, except that the radio version had the remixed cowbells over the first long rap.

Was this the stock US single, or did it also have the LP version as we did in Canada?

I sourced the remix in the early 90s (after YEARS of searching) on a Brit 45.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jody, to my knowledge, the LP version also appears on the US 7" single. The version that sounds like an edited 12" mix was only issued on promo 45.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Four versions that I know of:
  • The 6:33 version that appeared on the Autoamerican LP and commercial 45
  • A version that runs around 5:36 that first appeared on the Best Of Blondie LP and now appears on virtually every compilation CD that includes the song
  • A 10-minute version that shows up on the CD Billboard Top Dance Hits 1981 among others
  • And finally, the elusive promo 45 version that runs 4:57. This appears on the 2-CD set The Platinum Collection (Chrysalis, 1994). It may also appear on the re-release of the 45, but I can't confirm that. This has always been my favorite version, mostly because the guitar solo resolves at the end, instead of just trailing off like the 5:36 version. There are mix differences, too, like the hi-pitched "ya" yells and the cowbells.
I've heard the song referred to jokingly as "Frankenstein" because of all the different pieces that were cut and pasted.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 15 February 2009 at 8:40pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 February 2009 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

crapfromthepast wrote:
I've heard the song referred to jokingly as "Frankenstein" because of all the different pieces that were cut and pasted.

I don't know how common this version is, but I have a promo single of "Atomic" which is has verses re-arranged in it compared to my commercial single. There is no notation on the label of it being a different version, same listed time, the only difference being a "1A" appended to the end of the matrix # on the deadwax. So that makes 3 versions of this when you include the album version.

Likewise their non-charting "Sunday Girl" has an English version, a French version and the combination that's on the GH.

Then of course there's "Heart Of Glass", discussed in another thread.

For a band with a relatively short chart run, they had a lot of alternate versions of their hits.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

crapfromthepast wrote:
Four versions that I know of:
  • And finally, the elusive promo 45 version that runs 4:57. This appears on the 2-CD set The Platinum Collection (Chrysalis, 1994). It may also appear on the re-release of the 45, but I can't confirm that. This has always been my favorite version, mostly because the guitar solo resolves at the end, instead of just trailing off like the 5:36 version.

I can confirm this, sort of. I just picked up a Chrysalis reissue 45 (VS8 42698): "The Tide Is High" bw "Rapture". The Rapture time is listed as 4:57, but I can't confirm it -- the record is so trashed that it won't play through properly. Even with a bunch of skips (where I had to manually move the needle along), it came in at under 6 minutes, so 4:57 is plausible. I can listen for other clues to the extent it would help the board.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

eric_a wrote:

I can confirm this, sort of. I just picked up a Chrysalis reissue 45 (VS8 42698): "The Tide Is High" bw "Rapture". The Rapture time is listed as 4:57, but I can't confirm it -- the record is so trashed that it won't play through properly.

I once came across a stock copy with a listed 4:57 time on it, but in actuality it was the 6:33 album version, not the radio edit.

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

To update my earlier post, I finally got to dub my trashed reissue 45 above and digitally rearrange the pieces to understand what's on the record when it's not skipping. I can confirm now that my copy, like Hykker's, has the full album version.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2012 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Is there a (No Rap Mix) version of "Rapture" that runs four minutes in length? I just heard it online and I'm wondering if it was ever on commercial or promo vinyl only?

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2012 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

This is what I know of Rapture, having been obsessed with the song when it came out.

1) the 6:33 album version was also the commercial 45 version at least in New York!

2) the 5:36 version on Best Of is pretty much an edit of the 12" version

3) the 10 minute version is the 12" version, which features a verse that was not on the original LP version

4) the 7:33 version that has appeared on various artist compilations in the past few years--this is simply the LP version but with the lost verse from the 12" version included. My guess is that this was the full length original recording, and they had to cut out a verse so that the song could fit comfortable on the original vinyl LP. So then when the master tape was handed over for the 12" mix, the verse was already there, so it was used on the 12". I'm so glad this version finally surfaced because I much prefer the LP mix over the 12" mix, but I always listened to the 12" because of the extra verse.

Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 April 2012 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Plus, as Aaron mentioned, there is the promo 7", which while at first listen seems like a straight edit of the 12" Disco Single, it also remixes more cowbells and whistles over top of the first long rap. Secondly, between 4:37 and 4:42, there is a section that seems unidentifiable to me. I think it is just missing the tail end sax at 4:37 to to 4:38, but I'm not sure.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 April 2012 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

I have to find out where this four minute No Rap version comes from then. You can hear it on the website www.the80sman.com (the link to listen to this track is on the bottom of the page for April 14th).

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 April 2012 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Santi Paradoa wrote:
I have to find out where this four minute No Rap
version comes from then. You can hear it on the website
www.the80sman.com (the link to listen to this track is on the bottom of the
page for April 14th).

If you read the blogger's post on that site, he doesn't claim it to be an official
version. It's one he made himself because he thought the rap ruined the
song.

Edited by aaronk on 20 April 2012 at 12:50pm

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2012 at 5:26am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

aaronk wrote:
If you read the blogger's post on that site, he doesn't claim it to be an official version. It's one he made himself because he though the rap ruined the song.

Not sure I agree that the rap "ruined" the song, but I am surprised there wasn't either a no-rap edit from the label, or at least house-produced ones at some radio stations. It was pretty radical for its' day. Maybe the stations that had a problem with it either dayparted the song to nights only or didn't play it.

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2012 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Santi Paradoa wrote:
I have to find out where this four minute No Rap version comes from then. You can hear it on the website www.the80sman.com (the link to listen to this track is on the bottom of the page for April 14th).

Holy Gawd! That was a TERRIBLE edit job. And just when I thought I had heard the worst edit of my life, he hacks out the second short rap and leaves her "yep" in there. Bad...bad...bad!

Suddenly, I find the Steve Winwood edit of "While You See a Chance" comparatively listenable.

That sounded like he took the Best of Blondie version as the source. If you REALLY want that edit, send me an email, and I'll make you a proper edit of it. I'd be happy to do that for you.

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2012 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

IMO, the rap MAKES the song!
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2012 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Paul Haney wrote:
IMO, the rap MAKES the song!

See, I'd agree with you. In fact, I prefer to live without that third verse, because to me it's additive. I never heard it until 1983, which was when the song was two years old and in gold rotation, if much heard at all by that time.

I would be curious to hear more about the special "LP version" that contains the third verse. I'm just wondering what the edit points are on such a track. Is it on a legit CD release?

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2012 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

So when the blogger called it a "purified" version I had no idea it meant his own edit. I just wanted to know if it was an official release or not. I agree it is a poor edit, plus minus the rap it's no longer "Rapture." I'm sticking with the 4:57 single version. Thank you all.

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 March 2013 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Of all the various versions, for me the most difficult to
find was the longer-LP version with the missing verse.
As mentioned above, it has appeared on some European V/A
comps.
It was also on a UK Blondie Best-Of called
"Atomic/Atomix"...it was a 2-cd set.

For anyone who may still be looking for it,
I just noticed this set is now available in the U.S.
digitally, so it should be on most download services.

Note: on the digital album, this version is a bonus track
- and is labeled "U.S. Disco Version" - but that of
course is an odd description since to my knowledge this
version has never appeared on any U.S. vinyl 12" or
promo. All i ever saw in any form was the 10 minute
European Disco Mix.

MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 March 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

What a terrible edit job.
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 March 2013 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

Seriously. Rapture would just be 4 minutes of Debbie singing those whining falsetto verses without the rap. It's an integral part of the song and waters down the verses, which, as far as I'm concerned, are just filler to carry you the the actual heart of the song...which is the rap....
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version